HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 14, 2010, 06:23 AM
Joined Jan 2010
14 Posts
Discussion
Complete guide to adding ailerons to the Super Cub LP?

Long time reader, first time poster.

OK, this might be asking a bit much, but if you dont ask....

I have been searching the web, as well as this forum, and whilst there is ALOT of good information and videos on the subject, I cant seem to find a COMPLETE guide to modifying the Super Cub LP with ailerons.

What I am looking for (in a perfect world) is one source that details, everything from start to finish on how to accomplish this.

1. Part names, part numbers for all parts used. (Supplier details would be good)
2. TX upgrades or modifications required. Recommended models? (Supplier details would be good)
3. How to setup/program the TX to use the new ailerons.
4. Price list for parts?
5. Video/Photos?
6. Instructions on how to remove/replace any electrics. (In step by step clear instructions/laymans terms for the comple NEWBIE)
7. Tools/extras required to carry out the mod

I saw the YouTube videos from NECubFlyer, which I think are FANTASTIC.

YouTube Video Link

and

RCGroups Forum Link of Videos

The videos are closest thing to a complete guide I could find. Unfortunately they lack some key details for the complete newbie. No offense to NECubFlyer, but I think because he has done the mod so many times, things that are a complete mystery to the newbie are just second nature for him.
Saying that though, I HIGHLY recommend the videos, even if just for a general overview to the process.

Is there anyone out there willing to take on this request? Maybe it would simply be a matter of puttting some information thats already out there all together in one place.

This link (second thread under adding ailerons) is a good place to start.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=852122

I would be willing to put the information together in an easy to read/follow guide, but being that I am the newbie, I dont think I am the best candidate for this.

If anyone has links or other information that would be helpful for a guide please do let me know, as I REALLY want to learn how to do this from start to finish.

Thanks in advance to all who contribute, or have already.
rudyz is offline Find More Posts by rudyz
Last edited by rudyz; Jan 14, 2010 at 06:41 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2010, 06:43 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
What kind of transmitter do you have, Rudy?
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 14, 2010, 06:46 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
The first thing you need to decide is how many servos you want to use to drive your new ailerons. Some guys like one servo, with linkages to both ailerons, others prefer one servo for each aileron.

Given the long distance from the part of the wing that will contain the ailerons, my own choice would be to stick a servo out on each wing end for the ailerons.

Chuck
Old Jan 14, 2010, 06:54 AM
Joined Jan 2010
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone View Post
What kind of transmitter do you have, Rudy?
Its the stock TX. I know it wont handle the ailerons, so I will definitely need to upgrade. Preferably to something that wont be obsolete in a year or two.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 06:59 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Do you want the ailerons in order to turn better and cleaner, or for high performance aerobatic maneuvers?
Old Jan 14, 2010, 07:01 AM
Joined Jan 2010
14 Posts
Quote:
The first thing you need to decide is how many servos you want to use to drive your new ailerons. Some guys like one servo, with linkages to both ailerons, others prefer one servo for each aileron.

Given the long distance from the part of the wing that will contain the ailerons, my own choice would be to stick a servo out on each wing end for the ailerons.

Chuck
I am thinking two would be best. I would also like to use the ailerons as flaps if possible. But I assume that would be a function of the TX right? Meaning the TX should operate each aileron independently for turns/banks or together for flaps.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 07:07 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Here is where we start getting into problems. Flaps are next to the fuse, and help bring planes in for landings. Ailerons are for banking the plane, and are located at the outer ends of the wing.

You can have flaps, or ailerons, or both. You can also make one long continuous aileron that attempts to be both a flap, and an aileron.... but in this case, it does less well at both jobs. They are called "Flaperons". Through experience, I have found that Flaperons will not be as good as having flaps and ailerons. I have also found that Flaps aren't really needed for much anything beyond visual appeal.

Having flaps, or spoilers is nice for short field landings, as in when you want the plane to lose a lot of altitude very quickly.... under control.

Chuck
Old Jan 14, 2010, 07:07 AM
Joined Jan 2010
14 Posts
Quote:
Do you want the ailerons in order to turn better and cleaner, or for high performance aerobatic maneuvers?
I want to add them for better turns and banks, and to become more experienced using ailerons during flight, and flaps for landing and takeoffs.

I want to learn on my Super Cub trainer before I graduate to higher level model.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 07:16 AM
Joined Jan 2010
14 Posts
Quote:
Here is where we start getting into problems. Flaps are next to the fuse, and help bring planes in for landings. Ailerons are for banking the plane, and are located at the outer ends of the wing.

You can have flaps, or ailerons, or both. You can also make one long continuous aileron that attempts to be both a flap, and an aileron.... but in this case, it does less well at both jobs. They are called "Flaperons". Through experience, I have found that Flaperons will not be as good as having flaps and ailerons.
Hmmm...Thats a point to consider. I would prefer to have both, if it doesnt weaken the wing or cause problems. But if I had to chose one or the other, I would choose ailerons to start. Maybe try adding both on a spare/second model later down the road.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 08:24 AM
Joined Jan 2010
14 Posts
Quote:
I think I am planning to go down the route of flaps and ailerons...I think.

I am starting to complile a parts list. I believe I am going to need 4 servos. One for each flap, and one for each aileron. Is that right?

Also am I correct in thinking that I can get 1 Y-harness to connect to both my flap servos?
Old Jan 15, 2010, 11:10 AM
Jim
Winchendon,MA
Joined Aug 2007
217 Posts
I would suggest just doing ailerons first leaving about 4 1/2 to 5 inches of inboard wing area for flaps if you decided to have them later on. That's where I added flaps to my flattened wing with ailerons. But as Chuck mentioned, I found that the flaps didn't really make a big difference but they were a nice experiment on a rainy day with nothing else to do. You will love the added control that the ailerons give you.
jmoore is offline Find More Posts by jmoore
Old Nov 24, 2010, 01:18 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1 Posts
Servos

I think it would be best to use only two servos. you could put both the flaps on one servo and both the ailerons on the other servo. Unless a more experienced person tells you other wise.
Stanattack is offline Find More Posts by Stanattack