HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 14, 2010, 03:01 AM
nøtterøy, NORWAY
Joined Mar 2006
1,171 Posts
Build Log
Playboy Senior :::VIDEO ADDED::: (with electric glowmotor)

Now this is a build I really enjoy. (listening to Glenn Miller and such while I build). Takes me back to the golden era.. even though I was born in -74.

Thanks for the plans Tri-pacer!

The size is originally 80", but my plans came out appx 90". 25 A4 sized sheets taped together. Doesn´t really matter, still looks like a Playboy, and that is my goal.

I used "profili2" to draw new ribs, since I plan to cover the wing with transparent Monocote or similar. I have bad experience with these plasticfilm coverings, combined with undercambered wings, so I went flatbottom profile.

If any of you guys have tips on how to make monocote stick to undercambered structure, please chime in.. Cutting new ribs is no problemo.

It will be powered by a brushless outrunner, but the shaft goes through an old OS25 glowengine. The outrunner on the photo, is for the teststand. I have ordered a 500kv motor, swinging anything from 11" to 16" props.

It will be RET controlled.

Here are some pics of the progress so far..

Kim
kimhey is offline Find More Posts by kimhey
Last edited by kimhey; Feb 13, 2010 at 05:07 PM. Reason: video added
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2010, 05:02 AM
Finland
Joined Nov 2004
233 Posts
Beautifully built! nice job with engine too. maybe i should use my old sc25 same way. keep it coming!

cheers

-Jukka-
durad is offline Find More Posts by durad
Old Jan 14, 2010, 08:08 AM
Joined Nov 2007
191 Posts
Don't let that undercamber scare you away. The Playboy wing has spars on the bottom surface and that gives you plenty of area to stick the covering to. Start in the middle, attaching it first to the main spar, then the smaller rear spar, then the ribs in between. Now you can tack the covering a few places on the trailing edge, stick it to the ribs behind the spars, and go from there.
A small trim iron is useful when you shrink the attached covering....try not to get too much heat over the ribs as you shrink.

Good luck!
Flyer1950 is offline Find More Posts by Flyer1950
Old Jan 14, 2010, 08:50 AM
nøtterøy, NORWAY
Joined Mar 2006
1,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer1950 View Post
Don't let that undercamber scare you away. The Playboy wing has spars on the bottom surface and that gives you plenty of area to stick the covering to. Start in the middle, attaching it first to the main spar, then the smaller rear spar, then the ribs in between. Now you can tack the covering a few places on the trailing edge, stick it to the ribs behind the spars, and go from there.
A small trim iron is useful when you shrink the attached covering....try not to get too much heat over the ribs as you shrink.

Good luck!

Thank you much
Old Jan 14, 2010, 09:19 AM
The dog ate my clearance
Joined Jan 2004
1,097 Posts
I like the tunnel view down the fuselage. Very nice workmanship.
brokenspar is offline Find More Posts by brokenspar
Old Jan 15, 2010, 07:49 AM
Joined Nov 2007
191 Posts
That fuse looks nice and straight....I hate it when I look down one of mine for the first time and see a spiral staircase, lol.
Flyer1950 is offline Find More Posts by Flyer1950
Old Jan 15, 2010, 06:49 PM
nøtterøy, NORWAY
Joined Mar 2006
1,171 Posts
Thanks

I have now cut out new undercambered wingribs (only outer panels so far). Motivated provided by "flyer1950".

Elevator also cut out from horizontal stab.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 11:14 AM
Southampton ,England
Joined Oct 2006
770 Posts
kimhey,

worry not about covering undercamber. It easy as long as you carefully glide the iron over the ribs allowing good heat to glue the covering ot the ribS. Like the idea of the dummy motor, very original!!
adamtc is offline Find More Posts by adamtc
Old Jan 16, 2010, 05:51 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamtc View Post
kimhey,

worry not about covering undercamber. It easy as long as you carefully glide the iron over the ribs allowing good heat to glue the covering ot the ribS. Like the idea of the dummy motor, very original!!
As he said, it's not hard, just take your time and think it through. The undercamber makes it a real floater. You won't be disappointed.

Wish I could cut ribs like that.
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
Old Jan 16, 2010, 06:03 PM
nøtterøy, NORWAY
Joined Mar 2006
1,171 Posts
Thanks to you guys, I am now at full speed building my first ever undercambered wing .

Middel part partially built, haven´t cut it apart yet, as I like to sand it in one piece.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 06:43 PM
amherst,nova scotia,canada
Joined Nov 2003
787 Posts
A couple of coats of balsarite will make a great difference in adhesion on the undercamber areas. Also after sanding take a rag with same agent to eliminate all loose sanding dust before covering over it.

I like laquer thinner as it evaporates fast and leaves little if any reisdue.
barry wilson is offline Find More Posts by barry wilson
Old Jan 17, 2010, 11:36 AM
Napa, CA
Joined May 2007
653 Posts
Kim,

Glad to see the plans worked for you. I have a question: How did you cut such perfect ribs? Your craftsmanship is perfect!

Chuck
tri-pacer is offline Find More Posts by tri-pacer
Old Jan 17, 2010, 06:06 PM
The middle of Kansas
Joined Jan 2005
736 Posts
I covered mine with silkspan and Sig dope. I mixed the clear dope with Duco cement and coated the bottom spars and ribs with 3 or 4 coats before covering. Then as stated above, start in the middle and work out toward the leading and trailing edges. I never have a problem with it staying stuck down this way. I have been flying it for over 10 years, and it still looks good.
Jim Kraft is offline Find More Posts by Jim Kraft
Old Jan 18, 2010, 02:57 AM
nøtterøy, NORWAY
Joined Mar 2006
1,171 Posts
Jim, nice model you got there!

Tri-pacer, I print my ribs using the program "profili2" ( http://www.profili2.com/ ).

I then spray the sheets lightly with 3M glue, and stick em to the wood. Yes, it takes some time, but I think it is worth it.

Nice progress this weekend. Clamped the unfinished wing together and placed it on the fuselage to get even more motivation..
Old Jan 21, 2010, 05:35 PM
How far in the ground..?
Poulsbo, WA
Joined Apr 2005
580 Posts
Square!

Hello kimhey,
My name is Ron (at times confused with Thor).
As an old transplanted Norske, with cousins in Kautekeino, I would like to ask if you would share some insight as to how you built such a square fuselage? Any tips would be very greatly appreciated by an old noobe.
The speed of your build amazes me. The pics attest to your skill. God Speed.
Ron
Power_Auger is offline Find More Posts by Power_Auger