HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2010, 07:09 PM
Physics hate's my ideas
USA, NY, Dunkirk
Joined May 2007
3,913 Posts
Discussion
New thunder power 250 mah 2cell lipo 20c i think problem charging (won't charge)

I did manage to read the instructions before messing with the battery, at first I was looking for a small 350mah 2cell for a 3D airplane which uses E-flite's Park 250. And so I was steered towards the thunderpower 350 2cell pack, nice price. But I ddi not catch the balancer plug problem....

So I already have a few strikes against me here. One I am impatient, so since the 350's were on back order so I went with the 250 Cheaper also, and what I'm using for a charger is the Parkzone radian's car charger. Which can have 2-3cell charging from .3amps to I think 2.5 or something anyways. I read the instructions, blah blah blah, checked the voltage wasn't too bad at 7.3volts for the 2cell pack. The sheet said 7.6 but this isn't a "drastic or large" difference. Tested the battery on the 250 and 10amp esc she's happy.

But I go to charge it and the black plug does not plug into the white plug. So here's my first strike, I decided to (I noticed the black plug was a 3-cell balancer plug but without a wire for the 4th hole) cut the 4th wire part off, similar to trimming a futaba 3wire plug and try that. Then I noticed that they would not fit.... the pins on the balancer charger was too far apart, so I squeezed them together and I got it to work. But it would not charge.

So I decided to salvage my dead E-flites 2cell 430 mah battery. It's not "dead" but it wouldn't charge, previous problem of charging it with a 3cell wall charger ooopss... anyhow it won't charge anymore bummer. So anyhow I decided to cut off the white balancer plug from this. Once I did that (while doing my temporary splicing to see if this dumb idea would even work, two of the balancer wires touched and smoke and glowing orange #*$(!! didn't seem to bad though whew) I tried it again, and no go.... yeah lots of dumb things, I wish I saw that it had a different balancer plug.

Sorry if what I have done is really really dumb but I don't know learned the hard way or dumb way I guess.
any help would be appreciated, my Park 480 restoration wen't well she's pullin nicely with a APC 8x3.8
GreenAce92 is offline Find More Posts by GreenAce92
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2010, 07:31 PM
Dickinson, Tx.
Joined Sep 2004
5,290 Posts
You need to use the correct female balancer socket on your charger to plug into the pack plug. Trying to jury-rig a pack balancer tab to fit your charger is a big NO-NO...

Use this link to figure out what you need. http://www.rcaccessory.com/pdf/Batte...on%20Guide.pdf

Then go to your vendor you choose to buy the adapter. I like BP Hobbies http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=B3805271 and if they don't have what I need then HC might. http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...6&ParentCat=85

Challenger413
Challenger 413 is offline Find More Posts by Challenger 413
Old Jan 13, 2010, 07:53 PM
Physics hate's my ideas
USA, NY, Dunkirk
Joined May 2007
3,913 Posts
thanks for the help! An adapter now that could work...
Old Jan 13, 2010, 09:47 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,644 Posts
FYI, that pack is probably permanently damaged. You should still be able to use it, but it might not give off as much power nor battery life as it's supposed to.

Also, 7.3v is a bit low- I suggest trying to not go below 7v on them. Fully charged, they should be 8.4v for a 2 cell pack, or 4.20v per cell fully charged. About 3.85v per cell right from the factory.

Oh, and next time, cut ONE wire at a time, otherwise you might just cause a fire!
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Jan 14, 2010, 06:09 AM
Physics hate's my ideas
USA, NY, Dunkirk
Joined May 2007
3,913 Posts
Well I did cut one wire at a time. Two just touvhed when I was trying to splice. It was at 7.3volts when I first got it. I've got to see if I can charge it somehow probably through one of those adapters or another charger it just would noot register that anything was connected like when you plug in the battery normally something will beep or light will flash. I didn't get any of these notifcations
Old Jan 14, 2010, 06:27 AM
Physics hate's my ideas
USA, NY, Dunkirk
Joined May 2007
3,913 Posts
Perhaps it wouldn't vharge because it was defected so I could have had a warranty kind of issue where I would get a new replacement battery. But how could I have known without trying to deliberately charge it with the wrong charger? That's just what I'm thinking of at this point. But it did run though.

I believe I read somewhere that lipos should not be charged through their output plug/chord like the red and black with a jst or deans plug. If so why do they have wall chargers (emaxx) that charge lipos through this chord? Like they have a general output of .5 amps so for a battery like a 3c 1800mah lipo this is fine. Wish I had one for the 2cell but like I said apparently its bad to charge batteries this way
Old Jan 14, 2010, 06:42 AM
Dickinson, Tx.
Joined Sep 2004
5,290 Posts
You can charge a pack through the main connector, while having a stand alone balancer plugged into the balancer tap. Back in days before balancing, we charged through the main plug whether it was a Deans or JST...

Challenger413
Old Jan 14, 2010, 01:36 PM
Physics hate's my ideas
USA, NY, Dunkirk
Joined May 2007
3,913 Posts
Hmmm so.... I'm not even sure what to say? Its like that's good but are you saying to have both balancer and charger plugged in? I'm not getting this at the moment scuse my numbness
Old Jan 14, 2010, 03:05 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,364 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=599287
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jan 14, 2010, 06:29 PM
Dickinson, Tx.
Joined Sep 2004
5,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAce92 View Post
Its like that's good but are you saying to have both balancer and charger plugged in?
It would be best to use a balancer, although you could just check the cells with a volt meter and balance them manually. If you do this, then charge the pack at a very low rate the first few time to make sure the cells are matched...

I normally parallel charge 6 to 8 packs at once and use the add on type balancers on the pack balancer. If I am only charging 4 packs or less, then I will balance charge them through the balancer...

Back when packs were 8C, we didn't use a balancer, we just charged them up through the main plug...

Challenger413
Old Jan 14, 2010, 07:45 PM
Physics hate's my ideas
USA, NY, Dunkirk
Joined May 2007
3,913 Posts
Hmmm, well you see I didn't include this but I even tried to manually connect the balancer plugs, disregarding which one was pos neg and the third middle wire, still nothing though? Not sure, don't want to waste the battery, I want to use it but how to charge? I don't know if anything I'll see about doing the direct connection of the batteries existing three balancer plugs and attaching the white balancer plug perhaps then it will work, but like I said I did try this but still no go? maybe it proprietary?

What I should have said was... I was impatient, I should have saved the battery and got either A) a company brand balancer charger or b) an adapter
Last edited by GreenAce92; Jan 15, 2010 at 06:58 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 06:13 AM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,298 Posts
More then likely you killed the pack when you shorted the balance leads. What you do not see is the thin aluminum tabs that make the series connections of the individual cells inside the pack. If you shorted the leads enough that they glowed, you probably melted one of the aluminum tabs inside the pack.

And you have really no chance for a warranty claim after all you did to the pack's plug and leads.

And what ever you do, DO NOT try repairing the pack, you from your posts are a disaster waiting to happen.
Lipos do not tolerate abuse! Not slamming you but a lipo is not something to fool with when you don't know what you are doing. You are quite lucky you didn't cause the pack to let go big time and burst into flames.

Your impatience cost you, write it off as an expensive lesson learned.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Last edited by Glacier Girl; Jan 15, 2010 at 06:19 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 07:15 AM
Physics hate's my ideas
USA, NY, Dunkirk
Joined May 2007
3,913 Posts
But its not broken. It puts out power just fine. Before the balancer plugs glowed from touching it still would not balance. So.... It'll be my risk but its still a solid non puffed lipo. I'll see if any of these "aluminum tabs" are gone. Gotta buy me a new soldering gun, ill take precautions

Yeap that's my problem impatience
Old Jan 15, 2010, 08:51 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,364 Posts
Do you really know that little about LiPolys or are you just trying to be a smart ask?

If you have such total disregard for LiPoly safety then please find another hobby before you burn your parents house down.

Also a thread Title that makes the Product seem at fault when it is clearly the user is not exactly fair but then most everyone loves to blame everyone but themselves.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:35 AM
I will be an angry old man!
Vancouver Isl
Joined Apr 2007
1,358 Posts
marc1 is offline Find More Posts by marc1