SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:48 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,898 Posts
I glue mine in place and have not had a problem.
Mike
motorhead is online now Find More Posts by motorhead
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:29 PM
Joined Jan 2013
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Mike
Ok attached mine with rubberbands as i saw here on the forum as i wanted them to fall of if the landning was to harsh.
Made à pair of skies to worked almost better on the snowy ground
Peteriaseda is offline Find More Posts by Peteriaseda
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:32 PM
Joined Jan 2013
12 Posts
Quote:
Mike
BtW do you post to Sweden ?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:36 AM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,898 Posts
Yes, worldwide.
If you can get a couple of your buddies interested, I can fit 2 or 3 depending on the plane in one box. This way you can share the $45 shipping cost.
Mike
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:57 AM
Retired, and working hard at.
Canada, QC, Trois-Rivières
Joined May 2012
24 Posts
Quote:
Mike
For all you EzFly builders, I had the same problem, since I had installed wheels long ago. I agree with Mike that glue, rubber bands, and a few other solutions might just work, however I believe I have found the easiest, and most user friendly way to keep, not only the axle, but also the wheels in their correct position. Just find a small piece of solid core copper wire ( house wiring is fine ) of the right size, and carefully , using a razon blade cut off small rings ( about 2mm wide ) without cutting through the copper core. Then just slip them off the copper core, and they become instant wheel collets or axle retainers. You can make assorted sizes, ( using different size wires ) depending on the diameter of your CF rod.

In the enclosed photo, you can see that they hold the wheels in place, and two extra small pieces, keep the axle centered, and stop it from moving from side to side

P.S. In the beginning I did try gluing them in place, but hard landings will eventually break off the rod on one side, and also removed the springness of the solid CF rod

Uncle Bob
stepinwolf is offline Find More Posts by stepinwolf
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:20 AM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroback View Post
Anyone know the wing area off hand?
Their website shows that it has a wingspan of 31" and 262 sq in.

http://www.fancyfoam.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=309
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:36 AM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Pompano Beach
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Thanks I was looking at the plans and didn't see the WA. I admit I was being lazy wanting avoid the time to calculate with the elipticle LE. Thanks for pointing that out. Web site? who'd look there??
zeroback is offline Find More Posts by zeroback
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:17 PM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepinwolf View Post
For all you EzFly builders, I had the same problem, since I had installed wheels long ago. I agree with Mike that glue, rubber bands, and a few other solutions might just work, however I believe I have found the easiest, and most user friendly way to keep, not only the axle, but also the wheels in their correct position. Just find a small piece of solid core copper wire ( house wiring is fine ) of the right size, and carefully , using a razon blade cut off small rings ( about 2mm wide ) without cutting through the copper core. Then just slip them off the copper core, and they become instant wheel collets or axle retainers. You can make assorted sizes, ( using different size wires ) depending on the diameter of your CF rod.

In the enclosed photo, you can see that they hold the wheels in place, and two extra small pieces, keep the axle centered, and stop it from moving from side to side

P.S. In the beginning I did try gluing them in place, but hard landings will eventually break off the rod on one side, and also removed the springness of the solid CF rod

Uncle Bob
Something else that works easy for wheel collets is RC fuel line. Available at most hobby shops. It is cheap and a 2 or 3 foot section makes lot of collets. You can also use small pieces for safety collars for control clevices.
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:02 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,898 Posts
Fuel line is what I ship in the landing gear kit.
Mike
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:15 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Well... The maiden didn't go as I anticipated, the little darling is amphibious or at least semi. Being on the windy side didn't help. I set the CG at 3.5" but it seemed tail heavy and was really squirrely the rudder was super sensitive and full rudder would tip stall it out of the air. I realized after a bit of a battle that reducing power made it easier to control. I landed but failed to take head to the momentary power loss that took place. I was thinking about where I had put my lead stick on weights. I put on 7g chunk of lead ( I have heavier packs just not with me) took off again and it was a marked improvement but still reacted tipsy to the rudder. Anymore than 3/4 throttle and it was about out of control. I guess this 8X4.3 and the 1/4" I jacked up the motor for clearance really alter it. At very low power settings it was quite reasonable. BUT it was windy. Just as I got it trim and looking good at1/5 throttle the wind kicked up and blew the her over the ditch they dug in the swamp grass for boats to run in. I got it to turn from heading west to heading south and the power cut out NOTHING
It did the most beautiful dead stick landing on it's own. Perfect touch down into the water. I ran over to the end of the boat ramp and luck it was in the middle of the canal blowing towards me about 150ft away. I tried the throttle but nothing. I managed to find a stick about 10ft long. But the wind was blowing it to the other bank. when it got within 50ft I checked the throttle and rudder low and behold we have power Scotty. So I managed to retrieve it although it would not take off from the water it, to much throttle and it wanted to submarine. I range checked it before flight but it is a brand new OrangeRx I heard of tales of problems with them. The ESC is a brand new 12A, which should be fine as I have it propped out at 9A and it never hit WOT for more than half second. The battery pack has been flight tested many time at 12A or better, but it has been sitting. Could be anything some POETS is in order (process of elimination trouble shooting) also known as replacing parts till the problem goes away. Although if it is an Rx problem I'm wondering if it's because the Rx is sitting on a carbon rod.
Last edited by zeroback; Feb 19, 2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:38 PM
Joined Jan 2013
12 Posts
Quote:
Yes, worldwide.
If you can get a couple of your buddies interested, I can fit 2 or 3 depending on the plane in one box. This way you can share the $45 shipping cost.
Mike
Well seems like a good idea as my depron EzFly is no more due to a close encounter with a birch today .
Is it possible to fit a an Icon a Spitfire and à regular Ez Fly in a box and ship it to Sweden ?
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:40 PM
United States, MI, Warren
Joined Aug 2011
642 Posts
Zeroback I have had 1 of my Orx do that exact same thing,had me baffled.But not leading to the exciting story you have.I don't think I get much over half throttle on mine either.I use 7x3.5 Gws with 2s750.
maurice076 is offline Find More Posts by maurice076
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:07 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice076 View Post
Zeroback I have had 1 of my Orx do that exact same thing,had me baffled.But not leading to the exciting story you have.I don't think I get much over half throttle on mine either.I use 7x3.5 Gws with 2s750.
Yes no doubt it needs a smaller prop. The LHS dosen't cater to this market. Ordered some smaller props just haven't arrived. When I retrieved the plane I noticed the Rx light was blinking. Funny thing is I had a similar episode with my FF Edge 540, it landed in the ditch due to crappy servos. I had to swim with the gators for that one.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:24 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteriaseda View Post
Well seems like a good idea as my depron EzFly is no more due to a close encounter with a birch today .
Is it possible to fit a an Icon a Spitfire and à regular Ez Fly in a box and ship it to Sweden ?
Yes I can fit those 3 in one box.
Mike
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:34 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroback View Post
Yes no doubt it needs a smaller prop. The LHS dosen't cater to this market. Ordered some smaller props just haven't arrived. When I retrieved the plane I noticed the Rx light was blinking. Funny thing is I had a similar episode with my FF Edge 540, it landed in the ditch due to crappy servos. I had to swim with the gators for that one.
If you had not flown it over ground first I would suggest that so that you have it trimmed, the throws set and are used to it before flying off of water. For what you went through I think you came out rather well.
I would reduce your rudder throw or at a minimum start with low rates. Yes it is sensitive but this is nice when you need it.
It will do fine with the 8x4.3 but you will need to be softer on the throttle. The stock prop is a 7x6 and it will climb strait up with authority at full throttle. For level flying only 1/4 to 1/2 throttle is needed. In my last video you can listen and see that I am at a low throttle setting almost all the time.
Lastly is the wind, I have been flying float planes for 15 years and wind is the enemy. Less is better none is best.
In all though you kept it right side up and that is a success. I would suggest flying it over land a few times to get used to is and on a calm day I think you will have a blast with it.
With spring coming I am looking forward to the rain so I can see what unique places I can fly mine. Ditches, flooded streets, a swimming pool if I can get access to one.
Mike