to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:22 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I have had several people talk to me about doing an EzFly float plane. Well Leadfeather lit a fire under me and suggested using the Icon float plane for a reference.
Beautiful... As is everything EzFly related!
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:27 PM
Professional Pixel Flyer....
United States, VT, Weathersfield
Joined Dec 2005
363 Posts
Now I cant wait to build that one, I was introduced to the Icon A5 when I tried out the MS Flight sim (their attempt at making a good simulator into an arcade flyer, successfully I might add) and I have loved it ever since.

RightcoastRC is offline Find More Posts by RightcoastRC
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:08 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightcoastRC View Post
Now I cant wait to build that one, I was introduced to the Icon A5 when I tried out the MS Flight sim (their attempt at making a good simulator into an arcade flyer, successfully I might add) and I have loved it ever since.

Here's my first flight off water. Takes off very easy.

Icon A5 water maiden (1 min 33 sec)
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:28 AM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,898 Posts
Here is a video of mine from yesterday in calm conditions.
Mike

EzFlly Icon 2 (2 min 0 sec)
motorhead is online now Find More Posts by motorhead
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:34 AM
Professional Pixel Flyer....
United States, VT, Weathersfield
Joined Dec 2005
363 Posts
Nice video!

Real great handling, I can't wait to build one now!
RightcoastRC is offline Find More Posts by RightcoastRC
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:57 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
Joined Nov 2003
1,497 Posts
Mike, that is an awesome plane. I have a couple of the EZ flys ready for the spring. Both have many flights on them. One of blue foam and one from your kit. That Icon is a must build. Are you going to post the plans?
sleb is offline Find More Posts by sleb
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:38 PM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Pompano Beach
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
What a coincidence I just learned about KF airfoils a week ago and low and behold OEM selling a plan with one. I saw this little plane about a year ago and thought it would be great for my nieces to learn to fly. I just received three ( I want one too) I have not had time to read the whole thread yet (want to get one flying by Saturday) but did get to the KF part. My first question has any rounded the LE to shape it closer to the KF2 design? I'm thinking of using a piece of Depron or dollar tree foam on the top winglet so a rounded LE can be formed.
zeroback is offline Find More Posts by zeroback
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:43 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,898 Posts
Leadfeather did round the LE on his Icon and we were surprised how much it improved the glide. I will be changing the plans soon to show the shape. I may also do a video showing how I would do it.
Mike
motorhead is online now Find More Posts by motorhead
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:54 PM
North Georgia, USA
Joined Feb 2005
20 Posts
Photo of latest build for a buddy.

This is one that I'm finishing up for a friend. (Yeah. His name is Sam. lol) I did all the graphics on my computer.

Name: SamEZFly (1).jpg
Views: 127
Size: 183.0 KB
Description:

Name: SamEZFly (2).jpg
Views: 121
Size: 196.7 KB
Description:

Name: SamEZFly (3).jpg
Views: 103
Size: 180.4 KB
Description:
ShineyObject is offline Find More Posts by ShineyObject
Last edited by ShineyObject; Jan 24, 2013 at 07:56 PM. Reason: none
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:44 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Leadfeather did round the LE on his Icon and we were surprised how much it improved the glide. I will be changing the plans soon to show the shape. I may also do a video showing how I would do it.
Mike
From what I have read so far in the KF thread a round LE is critical to peak performance on a KF airfoil.
Is the video going to show how to round EPP? I was considering trying to carve the EPP and figured it would be difficult, hence my thought on make the LE step out of a foam that will respond to a sanding block.
Last edited by zeroback; Jan 25, 2013 at 08:04 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:50 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineyObject View Post
This is one that I'm finishing up for a friend. (Yeah. His name is Sam. lol) I did all the graphics on my computer.

Attachment 5476854

Attachment 5476855

Attachment 5476856
That is marvelous looking plane. Is there a thread on how to make graphics on computers as I'm not the most savy PC user. I'd love to make a custom set of decals for the EZ fly kits I'm getting together for them to build. I'm building one and using it as a guide to get the other kits to a prerig condition so when I go to visit they go together quickly.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:29 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroback View Post
That is marvelous looking plane. Is there a thread on how to make graphics on computers as I'm not the most savy PC user. I'd love to make a custom set of decals for the EZ fly kits I'm getting together for them to build. I'm building one and using it as a guide to get the other kits to a prerig condition so when I go to visit they go together quickly.
I'm traveling for the next two weeks, but when I get home, I can post the decal sheet I created. It is a MS Word document that I printed on to a transparency sheet. I then cut out the individual graphics and applied spray glue to stick the home made decals to the foam.
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:43 AM
North Georgia, USA
Joined Feb 2005
20 Posts
Leadfeather and I are using much the same technique. I use 3M Ink Jet Transparency Film and I print it using the photo quality or "best" settings on my printer from the document file I create using Open Office. I use Loctite spray adhesive (very lightly) on both surfaces to get a good adhesion to the foam.
You can gang up several graphics on one sheet. Many graphics can be had by going to google and searching for the design you want to find. ( http://images.google.com/ ) I have some that I have scanned then used Photoshop Elements to perfect it before inserting into the document. I would be happy to share them with you or anyone else wanting them.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:51 AM
North Georgia, USA
Joined Feb 2005
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroback View Post
That is marvelous looking plane. .
Thank you. I've built five of them in the last month for me and friends. I've concluded that simple schemes are the best both in looks and weight. Most of the trainers have the T-28 look, but using slightly different colors and nose design. The guys like the custom names and such, so I get a kick out of building them.

I hope to get an order in from Mike today. (FancyFoam) I'm gonna build what we would call a 'nekkid' one from the kits coming in. Maybe a tiny bit of color on the tips and a black canopy area.