HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 05, 2012, 05:12 AM
Belgium, Flanders, Zwevezele
Joined Jun 2004
19 Posts
Diddi, Sleb and Praymond ,

Thanks for the reaction.

Quote:
Twins from Praymond, Any one else have trim issues? it may be that I glued them a bit crooked at assembly.
I try to keep the fuselage straight during the final assembling, I'll clamp the fuselage pieces between two L-shaped rulers (both have strips of depron on the sides to prevent damage when clamping).

Johan
flyingwolfmann is offline Find More Posts by flyingwolfmann
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2012, 06:25 AM
Got Foam?
United States, TN, Greeneville
Joined Sep 2011
283 Posts
I try to keep the fuselage straight during the final assembling, I'll clamp the fuselage pieces between two L-shaped rulers (both have strips of depron on the sides to prevent damage when clamping).

Johan[/QUOTE]

Hey Johan, That's a pretty nifty looking clamp table you have there, what brand is it? I would like to see if it's available in the US.
Thanks, Mark
mjcmyers is offline Find More Posts by mjcmyers
Old Aug 07, 2012, 03:31 PM
Belgium, Flanders, Zwevezele
Joined Jun 2004
19 Posts
Quote:
Hey Johan, That's a pretty nifty looking clamp table you have there, what brand is it? I would like to see if it's available in the US.
Thanks, Mark
Hello Mark,

It is the "Master Compact" clamping table, called "the household workshop" from Wolfcraft.

I checked it out and unfortunatelly Wolfcraft have no longer this fine piece of equipment in their production line. Pitty, I love to work with it, is very handy.
Maybe you still can find one on ebay.

Johan
flyingwolfmann is offline Find More Posts by flyingwolfmann
Old Aug 07, 2012, 04:42 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,376 Posts
Mark ive bookmarked but yet to build This Fuselage Jig . its at the front of my list for this fall/winter as i think it would be very handy

Chris
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Aug 07, 2012, 05:19 PM
Got Foam?
United States, TN, Greeneville
Joined Sep 2011
283 Posts
Thanks guys, at least now I know what I'm looking for...
mjcmyers is offline Find More Posts by mjcmyers
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:09 AM
Pakistan, Punjab, Rahim Yar Khan
Joined Apr 2011
90 Posts

Mark, Here is another jig for clamping models during construction. It uses magnets. I am sure nothing can replace that clamping table but for those who did not have that to begin with, this is a good idea. http://www.airfieldmodels.com/inform...oard/index.htm
tariqsaeed is online now Find More Posts by tariqsaeed
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:37 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
4,004 Posts
Took my EzFly Spitfire to scouts tonight to help the boys work on the aviation merit badge. All four picked up the flying real quick and enjoyed the experience.
It did take some abuse but a little glue and it kept flying. I am wondering about adding some packing tape to the nose to increase durability. Might have to play with that some time.
Mike
motorhead is offline Find More Posts by motorhead
Old Sep 06, 2012, 01:31 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,269 Posts
Used my EzFly for a friend's first flight. He built an F22, but made it a bit heavy so it has to go pretty fast to stay stable in the air.

The EzFly was by comparison sweet and gentle to control. He's getting started on one for himself right away!

Thanks motorhead... this is the first plane I built that was actually a good flyer. I love it!!
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Sep 08, 2012, 08:54 PM
Crashing in style.
Joined Jun 2012
140 Posts
Too heavy?

Hi everybody,

I just built one of these as a trainer for my friends since I'm real tired of spending every Sunday night fixing my planes after their "sessions"
As I didn't have any 9mm foam, I instead used some 5mm sheets where one side was adhesive (peel away paper, like a sticker).
I bought these sheets by mistake but figured perhaps I could use them for this project.

Now, problem is... I'm coming in at 456grams (16.2oz) AUW!

Ouch, I realize in hindsight that I should have thought about this earlier, and taken steps to keep the weight down... but too late.., that self adhesive stuff glues to each other real strong.

So, my question to the gurus out there is, will this even fly? Currently the power train consist of a Turnigy Aero drive sk3-2822/1090kv with a APC 7x5E prop and a 3S 850mah lipo... I suspect I'm underpowered,.. by a lot.... perhaps a bigger motor would get it airborn? Or shall I just retire her completely?

In any case, haven't maiden it yet.... will wait for some thoughts from you all first.

Btw, I built the R3 version, with the 40% Kf and forward adjusted motor position. Many thanks for the plans Motorhead, was a fun build!

Thank you for any suggestions or insight!

Peter.
Bazed is online now Find More Posts by Bazed
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:23 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
4,004 Posts
Fly it and let us know how it goes. The stock weight is really rather light.
Mike
motorhead is offline Find More Posts by motorhead
Old Sep 09, 2012, 03:48 AM
Crashing in style.
Joined Jun 2012
140 Posts
The final AUW was 527grams (18.6oz)... that's after fitting a larger 8x4.5 prop and a slightly larger 900mah battery to get the CG correct.

Took it out to the field and at WOT it did fly, but close to stall speed... I noticed a lack of rudder control, and realized I had forgotten to add the top fuselage part. While this was going on in my head, a tree jumped out of nowhere and grabbed the plane...

I'm thinking of putting on a prop with more pitch, might give me a little more thrust.. it's either that or a rebuild. Or a larger motor, but the only thing I got at hand is a old tower pro 2408-21T-3 1400kv and a turnigy D2826/6 2200kv... Figure the tower pro will give me some more power? Was hoping to save the Turnigy for a rcpowers f22...

Peter.
Last edited by Bazed; Sep 09, 2012 at 03:49 AM. Reason: Battery correction.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:48 AM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,376 Posts
You could put a bunch of lightning holes in the plane to try and cut down the weight , then cover them with packing tape .
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:33 AM
Crashing in style.
Joined Jun 2012
140 Posts
Hi Wilfor, I was thinking about your suggestion, and I could probably save around 50grams(?) in punching some holes through the fuse... however I'm building it for my buddies, and I know they all consider nose down, full thrust straight into the ground as a successful landing. I'm worried about strength and how much punishment this plane can take if I weaken it.
During my maiden I had my rudder channels switched and the plane rose up and then dove straight left and my corrections of course made it worse. It hit the ground completely on the nose, but sustained almost no damage apart from becoming a little snub-nosed. I had wrapped fiber packing tape around most of the vulnerable areas, which worked really well. I also hit a tree (yeah I had a real great day), where it tumbled down through a bunch of branches and hit the ground which was covered with large boulders... still, no damage at all.

I also managed to land it right in the middle of some wetlands crawling with snakes. Took me 2 hours to get it back...

In any case I've ordered some new motors which supposedly give more thrust... let's see how it goes.

Peter.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 04:39 AM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazed View Post
Hi Wilfor, I was thinking about your suggestion, and I could probably save around 50grams(?) in punching some holes through the fuse... however I'm building it for my buddies, and I know they all consider nose down, full thrust straight into the ground as a successful landing. I'm worried about strength and how much punishment this plane can take if I weaken it.
One thought: punch holes mainly in the tail area. Then it will be lighter (less energy to dissipate on a crash), but the front will still be stoutly built to absorb a crash.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Last edited by flying-llama; Sep 11, 2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 01:52 PM
Crashing in style.
Joined Jun 2012
140 Posts
I decided to rebuild it, was thinking I'd use the empty space inside the fuse for the electronics. I'm loosing some strength though, especially in the nose... at the moment I opened up a large area for the battery, can even fit a zippy 1600mah... I'm uncertain of the CG position so I want to have some room to adjust it around.
Last Time I flew the first build, I thought it was at a constant stall speed at WOT due to not enough power... but I've been thinking about it and checking with motorcalc.de, I *should* have had enough thrust to fly comfortably. At around 70 watt it should be able to push 526 grams around...I think
Anyway, see how it goes... still got some more to do on the plans before I start another build.

Peter.