HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:52 AM
20 years on the Internet
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2012
898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Sounds like a servo issue or a loose control horn. Move the control while applying a little pressure to the surface and see if you see anything wrong.
Mike
I did look at that... all seems okay. What I think at this point is the fuse near the tail is a bit too floppy as I did build it out of 6mm epp. My 9mm epp did come in and I think I may just build one out of that. that and I have some heavier batteries on the way which should allow me to play with CG a bit more. Having poster board templates and a hot wire cutter makes this pretty fast to build.

Nightstone
Nightstone is offline Find More Posts by Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2012, 07:39 PM
Joined Feb 2012
45 Posts
This is my second EzFly build, this time from purchased kit. I am interested in putting landing gear on this one. Any information on how, what, where, material types and or pics would be helpful.
davearl313 is offline Find More Posts by davearl313
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:06 PM
United States, MI, Warren
Joined Aug 2011
642 Posts
I was thinking the same thing yesterday.Maybe some epp wheels?
maurice076 is offline Find More Posts by maurice076
Old Jul 23, 2012, 08:13 AM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,978 Posts
Dave, that looks great!
The gear on mine is a plywood plate on the bottom. A carbon rod with wheels held on with a rubber band. Guess I should design a regular set of gear for it.
Mike
motorhead is offline Find More Posts by motorhead
Old Jul 23, 2012, 06:37 PM
Joined Aug 2011
642 Posts
Ya Know Motorhead Now that you mention it I remember your LG.I just had to start flying it as soon as the electronics were installed.I guess I should finish it.It flies great

Scott.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 08:51 PM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
898 Posts
Third Time is a charm. This is my third build. Used 9mm Epp this time.

First build - 6mm Epp. Wings collapsed and motor mount came loose. Learned to use more glue and better reinforcements.

Second build - 6mm Epp Flew okay but was way to floppy in the tail area resulting in sloppy controls.

Third build - 9mm Epp. Much more solid plane. Heavier Motor FC 28-12. 7x6 prop. Plane balances nicely with a 850 3s Mah way up front. With a 1500 Mah it balances back a bit and should give longer flights.

Maiden a few days from now...

The paint job was a quickie for the grand kids...

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2012, 09:05 PM
Got Foam?
United States, TN, Greeneville
Joined Sep 2011
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstone View Post
Third Time is a charm. This is my third build. Used 9mm Epp this time.

First build - 6mm Epp. Wings collapsed and motor mount came loose. Learned to use more glue and better reinforcements.

Second build - 6mm Epp Flew okay but was way to floppy in the tail area resulting in sloppy controls.

Third build - 9mm Epp. Much more solid plane. Heavier Motor FC 28-12. 7x6 prop. Plane balances nicely with a 850 3s Mah way up front. With a 1500 Mah it balances back a bit and should give longer flights.

Maiden a few days from now...

The paint job was a quickie for the grand kids...

Nightstone
The camo looks like the German WWI lozenge pattern, real nice!
mjcmyers is online now Find More Posts by mjcmyers
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:34 PM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
898 Posts
Did the maiden an hour and a half ago. Fly's great. Maiden was with an 3s 850 mah up front. Crash during landing was due to Esc connection to the deans cumming loose ( Solder came loose ). I lost all power. Lucky it happened down low. Excuse the wife comments at the end. She complained a lot on having to film my Blu baby maiden with a white plane against a white sky. So this was her payback.

Anyways... Flys great. Lots of power. Fly's straight up. All is good.

EzFly1 (3 min 3 sec)

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 25, 2012, 04:14 PM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davearl313 View Post
This is my second EzFly build, this time from purchased kit. I am interested in putting landing gear on this one. Any information on how, what, where, material types and or pics would be helpful.
Take a look at the one I just built. Made the wheels out of the scrap 9mm epp I had left over. Each wheel is two pieces of Epp glued together. I then put a small metal tube in the middle of each wheel ( hot glued in ). I bent piano wire to make the assembly and mounted it to a piece of plywood. There is a small piece of epp between the plywood and the fuse. I did this so it would break away at that point in a really bad landing and not damage the fuse.

It looks a bit goofy but its cheap and effective.

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 30, 2012, 04:24 PM
Belgium, Flanders, Zwevezele
Joined Jun 2004
19 Posts
Motorhead, thank you very much for this magnificent design.

Am using this design for three new colleagues for whom it is the first step in building and flying small rc models, especially in foam (depron).

I've made two models as an example, finished both in a "US Navy" look.
Did a lot of masking and airbrushed everything.

Used 6 mm depron, added an extra cf strip 6x1 mm as reinformend at the leading edge.

Did the maiden of the first (callsign:01) last week, flies great!!!! and it proved to be an excellent trainer.
Setup:
Blue wonder 1500kv, APC SF 7x6, 2S 850mAh lipo, 12A ESC.

As soon as possible we'll fly this model on our indoorsessions too but with a 2S400-500mAh lipo setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davearl313
Dave, see how I deal with the l/g, I use commercial lightweight wheels( dia:2.5") but these can be replaced by "homemade" foam wheels.

Wheel base 11 cm, used a carbon 3 mm tube, inserted (CA glued) a 1,8mm CF rod and 2 pieces of CF tube 6mm and 8mm long as spacers, this goes in a liteply support and is hold by two rubberbands on two 3mm CF rods fitted in two 0,8 mm ply reinforcements on the fus., works fine and is strong. Shall post some pictures.

More EzFly models will follow as soon as they finished.

Johan "Flyingwolfmann"
flyingwolfmann is offline Find More Posts by flyingwolfmann
Last edited by flyingwolfmann; Aug 01, 2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 01:58 PM
Belgium, Flanders, Zwevezele
Joined Jun 2004
19 Posts
More detail of the landinggear.

Johan "Flyingwolfman"
flyingwolfmann is offline Find More Posts by flyingwolfmann
Last edited by flyingwolfmann; Aug 01, 2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 02:45 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1 Posts
Nice one Johan
diddi is offline Find More Posts by diddi
Old Aug 03, 2012, 02:19 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
Joined Nov 2003
1,508 Posts
Nice job on those planes. I really like your removable landing gear.
sleb is offline Find More Posts by sleb
Old Aug 03, 2012, 09:38 PM
New Hampshire-seacoast area
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
twins

Have to say I love the paint job and wheels on your planes flying wolf!

I made a pair for my grandkids, the 12 y/o decided he'd like one after he say the 8 y/o flyng one. I have some wheels that will go on next, and they are going to paint them.

I took them out tonite to trim them out, trying to get them to fly the same on one tx, so I can use the buddy box and not have to fool to much with the trim when swapping between planes.

They fly super on 2c's and just crazy fun on 3c's. I can even get them to say inverted for a while, and they do some wild barrel rolls.

I put in 1/4" of down thrust on each, and as you can see on the 1st EZ, there is no left thrust and the rudder trim is more left rudder than the 2nd one( 2nd has about 1/4" left thrust on motor stick)

the pictures show the rudder trim differences, straight from the air.

I was trying to cancel out the larger left rudder trim, so they can power off glide them back down with out applying rt rudder. the 2nd one glides down with hardly and rudder trim, whereas the 1.st needs constant rt stick to keep her straight.

Any one else have trim issues? it may be that I glued them a bit crooked at assembly.

So I'll re-mount the stick on the 1st one next. It's funny, both the boys love to get them up high and cut power and glide them home with no power. I can't get them to stop it! LOL

Any how these are nifty planes for learners, so forgiving when ya rough them up a bit.

They want to take some vids next time out, and we made a nerf double bomb drop that attaches w/velcrow, that will work off a 4th channel.

Thanks for the cool kits, these are the version one, that I bought last fall.
praymond is offline Find More Posts by praymond
Old Aug 04, 2012, 09:32 PM
Joined Aug 2011
642 Posts
Well I finally got some paint on mine(blu+yel),and my newb bro-in-law new build.
Thanks motorhead we'll have my whole family flying soon.Next is nephews.