SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 15, 2012, 12:40 PM
My dog ate my airplane
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 2008
209 Posts
Mike,

Nice warbird theme paint job! I attempted something similar, see post #789, on my FFF version of the EZ Fly, but mine was a much more amateur paint job, all one color with a couple decals.

Scott
sredlin is online now Find More Posts by sredlin
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2012, 07:28 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,900 Posts
I remember seeing you post that one. The original was loosely based on a WW2 bomber/transport. I think it would be cool to do a B-25 with 2 smaller motors mounted out on the wing.
I got to fly in some calm air today. I was having allot of fun. I even got a little inverted flying in.
Video will be posted as soon as they finish uploading.
Mike
motorhead is offline Find More Posts by motorhead
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:29 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,601 Posts
Motorhead,

Adding the war-bird look makes this one cool looking trainer! Very nice!!

Note: The EZ-Fly won the combat competition at E-Fly this past year. Now I'm picturing a flock of war-bird EZ-Fly's doing combat, very cool.
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Jun 16, 2012, 01:43 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,900 Posts
Flying in the front yard.
EzFly Spitfire (5 min 15 sec)

This video is flying the spitfire in 20mph wind gusting to 30. I was surprised how well it did.
EzFly Spitfire (6 min 0 sec)
Old Jun 17, 2012, 05:18 PM
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jun 2011
151 Posts
Can someone send me a close up view of the wheel assembly

I am almost done with my build - except for wheels..

larger picture than this one http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...g?d=1273537625
radhav is offline Find More Posts by radhav
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:11 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
Joined Nov 2003
1,501 Posts
Mike,
I ordered the first version, built it and flew it tons of times. I also made a few out of fanfold foam, also flew them. Now I see the the spitfire version. I will be ordering one of those from you soon. Then I will build it and some fanfold brethren. Hope to order within the next two weeks.
Steve
sleb is offline Find More Posts by sleb
Old Jun 24, 2012, 07:24 AM
Joined Jan 2012
9 Posts
I like to built from scratch,but at $25 I have to order a few of these. The one I built from planes is the best flying plane I have
lawsondoyle is offline Find More Posts by lawsondoyle
Old Jul 02, 2012, 01:08 AM
20 years on the Internet
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2012
848 Posts
Just made one of these over the weekend for my grand kids to beat on. I have a champ but its way too fragile for the little ones.

Anyways... Here are some pictures of the build. I used 6mm 1.3 EPP and some michaels table mat bamboo.Michaels is selling these table mats for 50 cents and you get over 100 usable pieces of bamboo out of them. The wings droop a bit but seem very sturdy ( I will use a carbon spar if needed ). Motor is a BW. 7 inch prop.

Cg had me worried but ended up fine. With a 2s battery it sits right at the front of the nose. The 3s is 3 inches back from the nose. 2s = 500mah and the 3s is 800mah.

This was a very cheap plane build. 1 sheet of EPP and a few bamboo sticks.

Maiden will happen in the morning if the winds permit...

Later
Nightstone
Nightstone is offline Find More Posts by Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:12 AM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
848 Posts
Did a maiden this morning. Went very poorly. Bamboo in the wings was a bad idea. Right after take off the wings went into a U shape. I managed to keep it in the air by running the throttle way up there. I ran it around in a circle slowly bringing power down to get it back down. I hit a point kinda fast where she just dropped out of the sky. Motor mount broke on impact taking a section of the wing with it. Prop broke also. Rest of the plane has no damage. If the motor mount had not broken there would have been no damage. Even the landing gear was fine.

Moral of the story... Don't use bamboo on the wings and use a wooden rod with the motor mount.

Going to make a new wing this afternoon and try again...

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2012, 02:49 AM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
848 Posts
quick follow up. Decided to redesign the plane. Moved the wings up top. Extended the nose an inch and a half and widened it. Increased the the rudder/elevator size. Changed the fuse alot. Etc. 6mm epp. 8040 prop. 1550 kv motor. 800 mah sitting at the front of the plane. Flys great. Plane is very squirrelly unless that battery is right up front ( Glad I increased fuse size ). I feel pretty good about the plane considering my very short time in the sport.

Here is a pic...

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2012, 05:33 AM
Got Foam?
United States, TN, Greeneville
Joined Sep 2011
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstone View Post
quick follow up. Decided to redesign the plane. Moved the wings up top. Extended the nose an inch and a half and widened it. Increased the the rudder/elevator size. Changed the fuse alot. Etc. 6mm epp. 8040 prop. 1550 kv motor. 800 mah sitting at the front of the plane. Flys great. Plane is very squirrelly unless that battery is right up front ( Glad I increased fuse size ). I feel pretty good about the plane considering my very short time in the sport.

Here is a pic...

Nightstone
All it takes is a little taste and your addicted. Welcome to scratch building.
mjcmyers is offline Find More Posts by mjcmyers
Old Jul 09, 2012, 12:43 AM
My dog ate my airplane
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 2008
209 Posts
My EZ Fly now has combat damage, I knew it was just a matter of time before a repair would be necessary. For some reason my dog doesn't seem to like regular doggy toys, he only likes my R/C toys? I used to exercise him with my Traxxas monster truck, but he ruined a couple of bodies and a few other random parts, so it's on to slow flyer foamies now, enjoy this clip it's kinda funny. The next video will be better, I promise, Benny Hill Show theme music and much more close proximity flying to get a better view of this spectacle, enjoy.

S

20120707 Shadow airplane chase (5 min 8 sec)
sredlin is online now Find More Posts by sredlin
Old Jul 13, 2012, 02:18 AM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
848 Posts
Had a crash yesterday with the plane. All of a sudden without warning I had no left rudder. Plane would fly straight or right. So I started to circle it back and all of a sudden it just went into a death spiral. When i got to it it needed some minor repairs but the rudder was functioning properly. Odd...

I read a few other posts here about other spiraling in... Any idea why?

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:37 AM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,900 Posts
Sounds like a servo issue or a loose control horn. Move the control while applying a little pressure to the surface and see if you see anything wrong.
Mike
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:23 PM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,227 Posts
My EzFly Maiden

Flew very nicely, I love it!

Thanks motorhead, it's a great design!

http://eastbay-rc.blogspot.com/2012/...ly-maiden.html

update: oops, wrong video! here's the one that's been trimmed.

EzFly Maiden (3 min 14 sec)
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Last edited by marhar; Jul 13, 2012 at 02:49 PM.