HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 13, 2012, 01:05 PM
Joined Jul 2011
118 Posts
I built one of these. It's a bit bigger than I thought it was going to be. Might try scaling it down to be more friendly to my indoor flying area.

It's pretty good for training though. I feel comfortable handing the transmitter to pretty much anyone. They can't do much harm to the plane or to the surroundings.

One change I might make would be to put a couple of degrees of incidence between the wing and the stabilizer. The plane flies slowly pretty well, but it took quite a bit of elevator trim to get to that point.

I guess the way it is, once the pilot gets more experience they can turn the trim back down and fly it fast, but ... well either way, I guess.

The other thing that I would do is to lengthen the landing gear. With the flat gear, the wing sits almost level when taxiing. In order to get in to the air you really have to crank back on the elevator stick. Then once it starts flying it really turns and goes straight up. For beginners, that is pretty surprising. I think it would be good to set up the landing gear so that the wing is closer to the angle of attack at a slow cruising speed. That way the plane could lift off more gently.

Very interesting trainer design, though. Anyone have one of these about half the size?
random13 is offline Find More Posts by random13
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:36 PM
United States, VA, Lorton
Joined Feb 2012
5 Posts
Mike do your new EZFly Kits come with the nose and motor moved forward 1"? My son and I are enjoying the plane (pre- 1" mod), but having a little difficulty with getting the CG correct. I've added a two of fender washers to the nose to help. Unfortunately now I the elevator does not seem to have enough authority. I'm not sure if it's do to the extra weight in the nose or the lack of elevator deflection. Any advice?
C5Cheeks is offline Find More Posts by C5Cheeks
Old Apr 15, 2012, 03:10 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Just wanted to let you guys know that I have revised the kit a little to make it easier to get the correct CG. I have moved the nose and motor forward 1". I have also added pockets for the servos.
Mike
Fancyfoam
I think this answers your question Cheeks
Wilfor is offline Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Apr 15, 2012, 05:11 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
4,004 Posts
The elevator authority is directly linked the CG. As the CG moves back the authority will increase and pitch stability will decrease. Feel free to play with the CG till it flys how you like it best.
Mike
motorhead is offline Find More Posts by motorhead
Old Apr 17, 2012, 07:09 AM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
4,004 Posts
I have finally added an R3 pdf to the first post that includes the latest changes to the design.
Mike
Fancyfoam
motorhead is offline Find More Posts by motorhead
Old Apr 20, 2012, 06:19 PM
Joined Jul 2011
118 Posts
EZ Mini

So I made an EZ at about half size. I call it the EZ Mini.

Foam: 6mm EPP everywhere

Wingspan: 15.5 in
Wing chord: 6 - 7 in
Length: 22 in
Weight: 3.1 oz (with battery)

Motor: 2200 Kv brushless outrunner
ESC: 6 amp
Battery: 2S 330mAH
Prop: 5030

Receiver: 4 channel orange
Servos: 3.7 gram

It flies, but not too well yet. Too squirrelly. There is plenty of power, but I think I am still working out the proper CG. So it's not great as a trainer right now.

I am going to extend the wings a bit -- maybe a few inches in the flat section and another inch on each winglet. I want to end up with something that can fly as slow and floaty as the original EZ but small enough to maneuver in a small indoor space.

Will report more once I have the extended wing in place...
random13 is offline Find More Posts by random13
Last edited by random13; Apr 20, 2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old May 03, 2012, 06:34 AM
Joined Apr 2010
33 Posts
Hey guys, I built my first EZFly the other day for my dad and i was very impressed with the plane. It is super stable and fun to fly. My only question is the motor/prop/battery combo. My first flight was a 1300kv bluewonder with GWS 8040 prop and 2s battery. That combo wouldn't keep it in the air more than 10-15 seconds. I tried a 7x6 prop with 3s and it was a little better but still not what I am expecting. I just ordered the 1700kv bluewonder and a 7x3.5 gws prop. You guys think the 1700kv/7x3.5/3s combo will give me the power I'm looking for?
Jtupnsmoke is offline Find More Posts by Jtupnsmoke
Old May 03, 2012, 09:11 AM
Lost but making good time
Joined Nov 2008
1,345 Posts
Jt,

Use the 1300 Kv with the 8040, and a 3S battery. I use that combo with 690 mah 3S batteries on all my 8 oz foamies and they all fly well. The 3S battery will give you 1/3 more rpm than the 2S...check the temp on the ESC with your finger. Should be warm but not hot.
If it's hot go to a slightly larger ESC or to the 7" prop. You will be right at the 9-10 amp mark with the 3S 8" combo.

Regards,

Hankg

Post Script...Is the prop on the motor shaft with the specs facing in the direction of travel i.e. toward the nose of the aircraft. I once built a pusher type airplane and inadvertently forgot to turn the prop around...makes a huge difference.
hankg is offline Find More Posts by hankg
Last edited by hankg; May 03, 2012 at 10:35 AM. Reason: proper prop placement
Old May 03, 2012, 11:31 AM
Crash and burn, huh Mav?
USA, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Aug 2010
995 Posts
Definitely go with a 3S. I built one of these for my girlfriend to fly and I've had it up in 20 mph winds without any power issues. OK, so I tend to build things a BIT overpowered, but it's fun stuff.
Runnikee is offline Find More Posts by Runnikee
Old May 03, 2012, 06:30 PM
Joined Apr 2010
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankg View Post
Jt,

Use the 1300 Kv with the 8040, and a 3S battery. I use that combo with 690 mah 3S batteries on all my 8 oz foamies and they all fly well. The 3S battery will give you 1/3 more rpm than the 2S...check the temp on the ESC with your finger. Should be warm but not hot.
If it's hot go to a slightly larger ESC or to the 7" prop. You will be right at the 9-10 amp mark with the 3S 8" combo.

Regards,

Hankg

Post Script...Is the prop on the motor shaft with the specs facing in the direction of travel i.e. toward the nose of the aircraft. I once built a pusher type airplane and inadvertently forgot to turn the prop around...makes a huge difference.
I have the prop on normal...with the letters facing the back of the plane, but the motor is spinning backwards. So i still need the prop on backwards?
Old May 03, 2012, 07:16 PM
Joined Nov 2008
1,345 Posts
Jt,

The letters must face the nose of the plane and the prop should rotate clockwise as viewed from the rear of the plane looking toward the nose. If you set the prop parallel to the ground, the cupped (concaved) portion of the prop should should be pointing toward the rear of the airplane so that it can grab the air and push it backwards toward the tail.

Before you turn the prop, run it and feel the airflow, then turn it and run it clockwise and you should see a definite increase. There are some props that are built purely as pusher props, they are set up differently. I'm assuming you are using a standard prop as a pusher.

Regards,

Hankg
Last edited by hankg; May 03, 2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old May 03, 2012, 09:26 PM
Got Foam?
United States, TN, Greeneville
Joined Sep 2011
283 Posts
You need to turn that prop around and switch two of the esc to motor wires to change the direction of the motor...
mjcmyers is offline Find More Posts by mjcmyers
Old May 03, 2012, 09:52 PM
Joined Apr 2010
33 Posts
I flew it today with the 8040 and a 3s and it had plenty of power. I haven't tried it with the prop turned around, but will as soon as wind permits. Motor and esc stay pretty cool, but the battery warmed up a little with the 1300kv/8040/3s setup.
Old May 03, 2012, 10:03 PM
Joined Nov 2008
1,345 Posts
Jt,

Now you're going to have fun!

Regards,

Hankg
Last edited by hankg; May 04, 2012 at 03:13 PM. Reason: spelling
Old May 06, 2012, 07:59 AM
Joined Apr 2010
33 Posts
I had already ordered the 1700kv blue wonder before trying the 8040 with 3s. I went ahead and installed it with a 7x3.5 prop with 3s, and it feels like it is the ticket. I haven't had a chance to fly with it, but it feels promising.