HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2012, 10:00 AM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
4,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcmyers View Post
Motorhead, What plane did get for your daughter after she mastered the EzFly?

I have been teaching myself to fly for the past few months and had not had any success until I built this plane. Now I'm looking for the next step in my flying...

Any suggestion will be appreciated.
She never flew enough to move on. The pizzabox is fun and easy. Really, if you are decent with the ezfly, you can go to an epp 3d plane and just start with reduced control throw.
Mike
motorhead is offline Find More Posts by motorhead
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2012, 02:31 PM
Got Foam?
United States, TN, Greeneville
Joined Sep 2011
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
She never flew enough to move on. The pizzabox is fun and easy. Really, if you are decent with the ezfly, you can go to an epp 3d plane and just start with reduced control throw.
Mike
Ya know that's what I'm leaning toward.
I have been reading about your kits and was wondering, if I ordered on of your kits with the motor and all which would you suggest for my level of experience, knowing that it will be crashed and repaired A LOT.
mjcmyers is offline Find More Posts by mjcmyers
Old Mar 03, 2012, 11:18 AM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
4,004 Posts
Probably the Yak-55 or Freestyle.
Mike
Old Mar 09, 2012, 01:43 PM
Crash and burn, huh Mav?
USA, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Aug 2010
995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Mike
Not to stir the pot, but that's a pretty big jump from the EZfly to a 3D plane, even if it is EPP and reduced throws. Your next best bet would be a SuperCub or, if you feel like you're pretty advanced and want to go ailerons, go with the Trojan.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...lp-bnf-HBZ7380

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...an-bnf-PKZ4480

Granted, both are more money than a foamie kit, but you also won't get frustrated with either. Both are full-fuse planes as opposed to just being profiles. Both are extremely repairable and have parts readily available if you really tank either of them. I've ripped the entire back end off of my Trojan (in my earlier days) and used some foam-safe CA to repair it. You can't even tell it happened. I fly balsa 3D planes now but still will get out my SuperCub to tool around in when I just want to relax and have fun.

I'm not saying I don't have/like my profile planes (I have 2 Yaks and taught my girlfriend to fly on the EZfly), but I've always liked full fuse planes better. They just seem a lot more realistic to me. Also, the Yaks can really move on you, even with reduced throws. In the end, it's your call.
Runnikee is offline Find More Posts by Runnikee
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:37 AM
Don't Call Me Shirley
United States, VA, Bassett
Joined Oct 2010
197 Posts
When I assembled my EZFly kit last year, I also cut out a $tree version with a KFm-3 wing. The original is still going strong but I decided to load up the $tree version with leds. It's a lot heavier than the EPP plane but still flies fairly well.
Tucknut is offline Find More Posts by Tucknut
Old Mar 16, 2012, 07:35 AM
Joined Dec 2011
85 Posts
Almost done with my build (unfortunately no decent pictures yet). I went with 4,5mm Depron as that was the only appropriate material I could find. I had to do lots of doubling so taking a lot longer, but I expect to maiden it this weekend. Anyway, with the only thing missing being the Kf step, the AUW with 1000mAh 2 comes to 247g, so I guess it will come to just about 300g (10oz) finished.

I was wondering if I'm on target?

Also will the wings be stiff enough with 4 layers of 4,5mm Depron at the Kf step or the spar is a must (original 31" build)?

Equipment:
24g Hextronik 1300kv
GWS 8x4.3 RD propeller
HXT500 5g servos
Hobbyking SS Series 8-10A ESC
HK Receiver (HK-T6A V2 radio)
500 or 1000mAh 2s batteries
TheJams is offline Find More Posts by TheJams
Old Mar 17, 2012, 04:24 AM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJams View Post
Almost done with my build (unfortunately no decent pictures yet). I went with 4,5mm Depron as that was the only appropriate material I could find. I had to do lots of doubling so taking a lot longer, but I expect to maiden it this weekend. Anyway, with the only thing missing being the Kf step, the AUW with 1000mAh 2 comes to 247g, so I guess it will come to just about 300g (10oz) finished.

I was wondering if I'm on target?

Also will the wings be stiff enough with 4 layers of 4,5mm Depron at the Kf step or the spar is a must (original 31" build)?

You may want to check on the weight of this plane.
My memory of Depron is that most of the weight is near the surface (and very little weight in the middle), so for example, 1mm Depron is close to the weight of 3mm Depron.
So I am guessing that your doubled 4,5mm Depron will weigh quite a bit more than 9 mm Depron.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Mar 17, 2012, 03:53 PM
Joined Dec 2011
85 Posts
Thx for the info - quite interesting too, I noticed that once the "skin" breaks, the Depron breaks a lot easier. I didn't have much choice though as 9mm wasn't avaliable.

I've just finished gluing up the wings, so only little bit of gluing left go (and some cleanup ). The body comes to exactly 150g, so I will be around 270g (9oz) AUW with 1000 mAh 2s. I think weight will be ok.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 08:53 PM
United States, MI, Oakland County
Joined Jan 2012
21 Posts
Everyone seems really impressed with this for a trainer - I'm planning to make this my first scratch build. Something for my sons to learn on without destroying. I've printed out the plans and wanted to check on the size. If I scale the print outs up to make the scale = 1" (roughly x1.42) I get about a 30" wingspan. Is that right?
Has anyone made it smaller (22" wingspan) which is how it comes out when the tiles .pdf is printed out on 8.5x11 paper?
tag1859 is offline Find More Posts by tag1859
Old Mar 20, 2012, 09:04 PM
Got Foam?
United States, TN, Greeneville
Joined Sep 2011
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tag1859 View Post
Everyone seems really impressed with this for a trainer - I'm planning to make this my first scratch build. Something for my sons to learn on without destroying. I've printed out the plans and wanted to check on the size. If I scale the print outs up to make the scale = 1" (roughly x1.42) I get about a 30" wingspan. Is that right?
Has anyone made it smaller (22" wingspan) which is how it comes out when the tiles .pdf is printed out on 8.5x11 paper?
Check my blog page for pics of my little one scaled to 80%.
I built it out of foam board without paper and it is one of my best flying and nearly indestructible planes...
mjcmyers is offline Find More Posts by mjcmyers
Old Mar 22, 2012, 09:19 AM
Joined Dec 2011
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tag1859 View Post
I can definitely vouch for the durability of this design. I had some really nasty crashes and tree impacts in the first few tries at flying, with nothing more than scratches. I did manage to break the fuselage about 2 inches behind the prop slot, right were the 3 layers become 1 - but it think it was caused mostly by bad gluing at some points (the parts were wobbly even before the crash). The fix took 5 minutes and few grams of added weight and it is much sturdier now.

Here is my finished model, still needing a proper maiden (weather and work forbidding it)
Old Mar 22, 2012, 09:09 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
4,004 Posts
Just wanted to let you guys know that I have revised the kit a little to make it easier to get the correct CG. I have moved the nose and motor forward 1". I have also added pockets for the servos.
Mike
Fancyfoam
Old Mar 23, 2012, 02:25 PM
Moraga, Ca
Joined Mar 2008
19 Posts
Prop for 2s 800 Application

I have a kit with motor etc in the mail coming from Mike. Since I have several extra 2s 800 mah spare batteries, I would like to stay with them. I was wondering what everyone thinks about going to a 3 blade GWS 7x3.5. Unless I'm mistaken (very possible since my experience is to always go with recommended), the bigger prop might work better with my battery selection.
Thoughts?
Bkarr is offline Find More Posts by Bkarr
Old Mar 23, 2012, 09:09 PM
Lost but making good time
Joined Nov 2008
1,345 Posts
Bkarr,

A 3s battery with a 7x6 prop is spec for the plane. If you are going to use a 2S battery, I would go up an inch in diameter, 8", which means you are going to have to cut the notches in the wing 1/2" wider on each side and 1/2" deeper into the fusalage. Can this be done without weakening the fusalage or getting in the way of a pushrod...only Mike would know. The 7" 3 blade is an interesting idea though, since it is eqivalent to an 8 x3 two blade.

Hope I didn't complicate the situation...haven't seen this situation mentioned before and it's interesting.

Regards,

Hankg
hankg is offline Find More Posts by hankg
Old Mar 25, 2012, 03:55 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
4,004 Posts
It is under propped with the 7x6 on purpose. I would try the 3 blade first. It would be a good option if it works rather than cutting the prop slot bigger. Several have cut the slot bigger though.
Mike