Old Oct 04, 2011, 09:26 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankg View Post
Azarr,

Go into the downthrust a little more...if I look at your second picture, do you mean that the motor mount points downward toward the nose of the plane at a 5 degree angle?

Regards,

Hankg
Yes, the motor mount points down towards the nose, always confusing to me discussing down thrust on a pusher since the motor actually points up towards the rear.

You really can't see it in the picture. Since the fuselage is laminated 3 pieces, I just cut the center piece with the 5 deg angle.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2011, 11:11 AM
Lost but making good time
Joined Nov 2008
1,345 Posts
Azarr,

I figured that was what you meant...at my age it's better to double check. Nice looking build!

Regards,

Hankg
hankg is offline Find More Posts by hankg
Old Oct 04, 2011, 11:51 AM
Joined Jan 2000
7,815 Posts
Minor change of plans. Going with an 8x4 prop, 1700Kv motor, 2s lipo. I've run this combo on an indoor Firefly and it was fine, definitely not ballistic, but fun anyway. Trying to stick with 2S since all my indoor planes are set up that way.

Changing to the 8" prop required opening the slot in the wing and cutting the opening in the fuselage at an angle to accommodate the down thrust.

Azarr
Old Oct 07, 2011, 04:03 PM
Joined Dec 2010
8 Posts
Hi guys

Hi. I love the EzFly and want to build one. I have read this thread from post 1 till the last. I have wiped the blood from my eyes and am trying to post some info I have gleened from this thread that I think might help some new guys. I hope that no one gets upset that I have copied the questions and answers they have posted. I hope this helps someone save some time looking for info. I tried to keep it in order as much as I could.
Good luck.
Carl Webster is offline Find More Posts by Carl Webster
Old Oct 09, 2011, 05:22 AM
Joined Jan 2000
7,815 Posts
While I know this was designed as a trainer, it's a fun relaxing plane for the more experienced also. I only made one change, added 5deg down thrust which changed but did not eliminate the climbing tendency when throttle is applied. I ended up adding a -4 throttle/ elevator mix. Now, full throttle results in straight and level flight.

FWIW, I don't recommend my mod for the beginning modeler, having the plane climb when throttle is applied as designed is a definite plus.

My only regret is that I didn't route it out for lights during the build, it would make a fun night flyer.

Azarr
Old Oct 09, 2011, 09:26 AM
Damn this gets addictive.
United Kingdom
Joined Oct 2011
522 Posts
OK, so I went in at the deep end.
New to RC or at least not for 20+ years. New to foamies. I rather liked the EZ but me being me I could just build an easy first plane. A good friend of mine told me all about foamies and how, as long as it was light and had plent of power it would fly, so I figured I'd build something that shouldn't fly.
And so the chitty plane was born.
9mm EPP, basic flight surfaces are EZ fly 31", a bit of acrilic paint and much to my surprise it flew.
Two major modifications from what spawned in my head were firstly to lower the motor/thrust line as I'd set it too high thinking to push it up above the engine bay. This caused her to get 'stuck' in a turn rather than self level.
Number two was to add landing gear. The foam wheels were just not up to heavy landings but more importantly being level with the wings take off was proving a fast, scary experiance.
Let me know your thoughs
Thechittyfather is offline Find More Posts by Thechittyfather
Old Oct 09, 2011, 04:10 PM
Lost but making good time
Joined Nov 2008
1,345 Posts
chittyfather,

What kind of dreams do you have at night man?

EXCELLENT WORK!

Regards,

Hankg
hankg is offline Find More Posts by hankg
Old Oct 09, 2011, 08:48 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,889 Posts
Awsome!
Mike
motorhead is offline Find More Posts by motorhead
Old Oct 10, 2011, 06:12 AM
Damn this gets addictive.
United Kingdom
Joined Oct 2011
522 Posts
Forgot to say.
I also built a standard EZfly at the same time and it is a stunning little plane. I've gone from newbie to being able to take off/land/controlled level flight and the odd loop an the space of two weeks. All down to a very well designed plane. Many thanks Motorhead.
Thechittyfather is offline Find More Posts by Thechittyfather
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:04 PM
New Hampshire-seacoast area
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
I have 2 kits coming to assemble with my grand kids. Wondering what the preferred glue to use for body and KF wing step? Gorilla glue?

After reading this thread again, seems like mounting servos ahead of the slot is the way to go??

also, is the KF step applied after the lower wing tips are glued into position?

G/kids really want wheels, plus Wheels might keep them from clipping their hands from the prop on launch.

I was going to build them a Frog, but this bird seems to fly a lot like a frog, and won't be in need of repair near as much, being EPP
praymond is offline Find More Posts by praymond
Old Oct 15, 2011, 09:18 PM
New Hampshire-seacoast area
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
Ready!

OK I got her together, a 2nd one also but no gear on that one yet

Hope to maiden in the AM, been blowing a gale today.

It may be a bit porky, weighs 7.5 with no battery,

2nd picture shows it balanced with a little 800 2C

I have a 16Turn StrongRC kit I made several years back, with a 7060SF on it.

Will have to put LG on to keep the grandson happy

Great Kit Mike, I think I want that Quick Stick next!!

Forgot to mention I also put in 5 deg. down thrust into the slot in the middle section where the motor stick sits on.

paul

Update: maiden was a blast, no strong balooning, spirited on a 3 cell, and ya can torture it pretty good by doing crazy stuff, and she will recover nicely!
praymond is offline Find More Posts by praymond
Last edited by praymond; Oct 20, 2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 04:31 PM
Croatia, Europe
Joined May 2010
34 Posts
Ok, its mine. About 10 hrs of working...
Still waiting for electronics from HK and rc tmer
Made from original drawing except litlle bit higher fuse for taking large props.

amater_total is offline Find More Posts by amater_total
Old Nov 05, 2011, 10:54 PM
United States, WA, Mukilteo
Joined Dec 2010
150 Posts
Just finished painting my EzFly, Turned out well for never painting anything before didn't add much weight at all and its much easier to see in the cloudy winter weather we are starting to get around here.

The next mod I will be installing (while I wait for my FPV parts) is 3 250mw LED's for night flight, I had used some smaller ones but they were far too dim to be useful, I want something that I can see easily.

Anyway here are the pictures:

Plus points for anyone who can identify the shows lurking under my plane
blackboots1337 is offline Find More Posts by blackboots1337
Old Nov 26, 2011, 08:07 PM
Got Foam?
United States, TN, Greeneville
Joined Sep 2011
278 Posts
Vid of my XPS version outdoors

Hey ya'll check out the video of my XPS version flying Patchies pasture.
YouTube video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=4lgjkl_3ie0
mjcmyers is offline Find More Posts by mjcmyers
Old Nov 27, 2011, 09:23 AM
Toms River, NJ
Joined Apr 2009
22 Posts
EzFly with ailerons

I learned to fly with a standard built EzFly and wanted to move up to plane with ailerons, so I made some modifications to the EzFly and added ailerons. I used the standard wind length and chord, KF step on bottom, removed the dihedral from the wing tips and then added 2 inch ailerons to the wings. I also shortened the body between the wing and stabilizer by 2 inches and added 2 inches to the body section in front of the wing to help with the COG.

I have attached some pictures, below is my setup, she is a bit heavy as I reinforced the wing and ailerons with some 1/4 balsa and thin plywood, and the paint i used (home depot samples) adds a lot of weight.

I had my maiden flight yesterday (wind 3-4 mph) and she flies very well, she handles very similar to the original EzFly with the added option and features of a plane with ailerons. I did several series of barrel rolls, and still getting used to the ailerons but the wind was starting to pick up so called it a day.

MOTOR HobbyKing 2818 Brushless Outrunner 1350KV
PROP EP 8x4
ESC TURNIGY PLUSH 18
BATTERY Turnigy 1300mAh 3S 30C Lipo Pack
SERVOS 4 - HXT900 9g / 1.6kg / .12sec Micro Servo
MATERIALS Blue Core FF
AUW 18 Oz
CG 4 from LE wing

Thanks Mike for such a great plane.
Paul1953 is offline Find More Posts by Paul1953