Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 05, 2011, 12:45 PM
United States, WA, Mukilteo
Joined Dec 2010
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raizinmoon View Post
I hope this is right. Looking for someone with sketch up to check this
I just looked over it, Looks really close to me, but I am no engineer.
blackboots1337 is offline Find More Posts by blackboots1337
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2011, 12:53 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,123 Posts
Moving the wing back is probably good idea for a 60" model , otherwise you may be very tail heavy .
Wilfor is offline Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Sep 05, 2011, 05:26 PM
Registered FFF Addict
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
2,930 Posts
Bobby... I'm not quit sure of your logic here... everything I did should have moved the CG forward. Putting more layers on the fuse in front for the CG should have moved the CG forward and shortening the fuse behind the CG should have moved the CG forward other than that it IS build from the scaled up plans and should be exactly the same only in a larger scale.
The problem is the original design according to the designer was a tale heavy design. Building another to the design would just give me another tail heavy plane. Kind like a crazy person doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. This my third build... I built 2 200% and they were tail heavy, but putting the battery as close to the end of the nose as possible made them fly great. I didn't even check the CG on those.

Don't worry Vineet the battery is safer there than it would be stuck to the side of the fuse. I am not sure I am more experienced than you, but I do know most of us learn something every day and with every build so just try what you like and let all of us know how it goes that's what we do here.

Raizinmoon... good luck on your build. I thought about using 1/2 foam on mine, but I like to use what I have. Keep us up dated on your progress.

wilfor... the next 200% will have the wing moved back about an inch plus the shorter tail. Maybe these changes will improve the design some.

Thanks for all the in put everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixter View Post
Larry: Write this one off, hang it up in the ceiling. Build another one per the plan. Build it lite, don't change anything then the CG should not be a problem.

Bobby
larryross is offline Find More Posts by larryross
Old Sep 06, 2011, 05:45 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryross View Post
Bobby... I'm not quit sure of your logic here... everything I did should have moved the CG forward. Putting more layers on the fuse in front for the CG should have moved the CG forward and shortening the fuse behind the CG should have moved the CG forward other than that it IS build from the scaled up plans and should be exactly the same only in a larger scale.
The problem is the original design according to the designer was a tale heavy design. ...
The foam is scaling up to the same proportions,
but the electronics (motor, servos, rx, etc.) may not be scaling to the same proportions in weight.

Another wild guess: where are you putting the servos?
The latest version of the plans have them in front of the prop slot with some very long CF pushrods.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Sep 06, 2011, 06:26 PM
Registered FFF Addict
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
2,930 Posts
Well hammerhead is ready for the maiden (for better or worse). If she survives the maiden she will get eyes.

Motor is scaled, servos are scaled, battery is scaled, Rx ( ??? I guess I could put some lead weights on it ). The foam hasn't scaled (not thickness)... still using FFF.

F-LL... I have scaled a few in my time. In fact the majority of my builds are scaled up versions of the original. Just haven't had this much trouble before. I have everything as far forward as I can or at least as is reasonable. My main LG is further forward than it should be and make of aluminum to add weight over the CF used on the original... I may have a hard time with ROG.
Old Sep 06, 2011, 06:51 PM
Joined Dec 2010
150 Posts
Good luck Larry!

Been lurking your build for awhile, looks interesting!
Old Sep 08, 2011, 10:47 AM
Joined Dec 2010
150 Posts
Okay,

So a final question, Is this capable of being built by a complete beginner? I am wondering because I just purchased my tx and well now need a plane!
Old Sep 08, 2011, 11:22 AM
Registered FFF Addict
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
2,930 Posts
I think this would be a good build for a beginner builder and beginner pilot. I would build to the original plan. If my latest build works out I plan on doing plans a little more beginner friendly with more alignment slots and tabs and the wing shifted back and a shorter tail to help with the balance. If there is any interest in such plans and it is alright with motorhead I will post them.
Old Sep 08, 2011, 11:54 AM
Joined Dec 2010
150 Posts
Quote:
I think this would be a good build for a beginner builder and beginner pilot. I would build to the original plan. If my latest build works out I plan on doing plans a little more beginner friendly with more alignment slots and tabs and the wing shifted back and a shorter tail to help with the balance. If there is any interest in such plans and it is alright with motorhead I will post them.
Alright, thanks larry I am now just questioning what I should get outside of the foam and where to get it. The answer to that question would be best suited in this post: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1502718
I explain a little more about my situation.
Old Sep 08, 2011, 02:09 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,887 Posts
I think that when you include shipping from China my prices are comparable to hobby city. I stock all the required equipment other than the TX and charger. It looks like you have the TX and you can get the charger locally. The kit only includes the foam and carbon parts. you will need the recommended parts listed on the EzFly page.
Mike
motorhead is offline Find More Posts by motorhead
Old Sep 08, 2011, 03:10 PM
Joined Dec 2010
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I think that when you include shipping from China my prices are comparable to hobby city. I stock all the required equipment other than the TX and charger. It looks like you have the TX and you can get the charger locally. The kit only includes the foam and carbon parts. you will need the recommended parts listed on the EzFly page.
Mike
The more I look, I can see how shipping can cause problems. My not so local, but closest hobby shop only has some ~20$ servos, in the < 10g range. I will probably end up purchasing most from you.

Also, I plan on using LiPo batteries, what connector am I going to need for that? Also can someone recommend a charger that will work. I have looked around and most of the time I an unable to find the difference between the 30$ charger and the 120$ charger. I have searched the form, and that usually only ends in me being slightly more confused. So I am enlisting the help of those with knowledge. I would prefer if it had 12v DC and 120v AC so that I can use it with my 12v truck battery. If not I have aces to a true sine 1600w inverter. But that would be quite inefficient.
Old Sep 08, 2011, 08:30 PM
Lost but making good time
Joined Nov 2008
1,345 Posts
This one has worked well for me...

http://www.hobbypartz.com/skychb6chdup.html

Check out the YouTube video on it!

Regards,

Hankg
hankg is offline Find More Posts by hankg
Old Sep 08, 2011, 09:09 PM
Joined Dec 2010
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankg View Post
This one has worked well for me...

http://www.hobbypartz.com/skychb6chdup.html

Check out the YouTube video on it!

Regards,

Hankg
Thanks, But that is a little more expensive than my budget. If it were 40 id go. But too much.
Old Sep 09, 2011, 12:12 AM
Registered FFF Addict
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
2,930 Posts
For a beginner this is all the charger you need.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...Charger/Detail
Old Sep 09, 2011, 01:13 AM
Joined Dec 2010
150 Posts
Quote:
For a beginner this is all the charger you need.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...Charger/Detail
That charger outputs at 1.2amps, and they recommend not charging under 1000mAh. Most batteries that are light enough are below 500mAh, and thats above the C rating for the discharge rate, and its not recommended to charger faster than the discharge.

As far as I know that charger is a little too simple. Thanks though, hopefully Im not completely wrong but that's just the research I have done.