HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 21, 2011, 10:49 PM
FXG
Joined Nov 2010
37 Posts
Dihedral Wing Tips?

Hi,

This would be my first attempt to scratch built a foamy. Just wanted to know how do you guys make dihedral wing tips?

Do you cut the wings where angle starts and paste both parts together after making taper edges like done when making hinges?

Thanks.
FXG is offline Find More Posts by FXG
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:35 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,896 Posts
On the kits I use a dremel router with a 1/8" bit to cut a channel in the top of the wing. Glue is put in the channel and then you bend the wing to close the gap. Cutting an angle and gluing back together will also work.
Mike
motorhead is offline Find More Posts by motorhead
Old Apr 22, 2011, 04:50 PM
FXG
Joined Nov 2010
37 Posts
Please show some pics or video

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
On the kits I use a dremel router with a 1/8" bit to cut a channel in the top of the wing. Glue is put in the channel and then you bend the wing to close the gap. Cutting an angle and gluing back together will also work.
Mike
Hi motorhead, thanks for the reply, can you please post some pictures or better a video of process you mentioned above, thanks.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 11:08 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,175 Posts
Kids EZGlider

Wanted to do something different for my boy and his classmates for their last class . Looked around for a good chuck glider , the dollar store had a bunch of cheap ones but i didnt really like them

This dragon looked like a great base for a glider so i copied a pic of the PDF into sketchup , resized and traced it and came up with this Name: EZglidepic.png
Views: 246
Size: 28.4 KB
Description: It's made out of dollar store foam .

Name: 047-Optimized.jpg
Views: 179
Size: 63.4 KB
Description: I used my last 2 cents in the nose to balance

I ended up making 10 of them so far and they've been a hit and are really durable . I was able to get 6 out of 2 sheets of foam .

Name: 042-Optimized.jpg
Views: 224
Size: 78.1 KB
Description:

Ive attached PDF's for the plane and dragon

Thanx Mike for the great design i hope i did it justice

Chris
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Apr 24, 2011, 12:38 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,896 Posts
Looks good.
Mike
Old Apr 24, 2011, 08:44 PM
FXG
Joined Nov 2010
37 Posts
Where Is The Plan To Cut This Way?

Hello Motorhead,

Thanks for the great plane you designed, I can't find the plan where parts of the plane can be cut as shown in the attached images ... or am I missing something?
Old Apr 25, 2011, 11:31 AM
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Oct 2002
224 Posts
Chris,

Just out of curiosity, did you de-paper the dollar-store foam first? Looking to make some of these for my son and nephew.

Pete
Buckeye95 is offline Find More Posts by Buckeye95
Old Apr 25, 2011, 11:42 AM
RC Adddict
Joined Jan 2010
4,175 Posts
Yes pete no paper on the foam . i dont think it would glide as well . Ive got alot more flights in on them aswell and right around 36 mm for the COG seems to be a nice spot .

I glued one of the Fuse sides to the main fuselage piece , slid the wing in the groove once that setup then just taped the other fuse side on . This way i could check COG and see how it glides and add a little weight or remove some if needed , once its good then go ahead and glue the other fuse side and then the wing in place . My son has thrown his a few hundred time by now , its been on the roof of the house twice and finally broke the eye ball off last night

Ive been surprised how well they've held up .
Old Apr 25, 2011, 04:34 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXG View Post
Hello Motorhead,

Thanks for the great plane you designed, I can't find the plan where parts of the plane can be cut as shown in the attached images ... or am I missing something?
I will have to look to see it I use a normal sheet size for this one if so I will try to post a layout pdf.
Mike
Old Apr 27, 2011, 07:15 AM
Crash and burn, huh Mav?
USA, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Aug 2010
995 Posts
Quote:
Mike
That's a good idea, Mike. If mine doesn't fly right, my next build will use that method. Been wanting to maiden for about 2 weeks now, but between the wind, monsoon rains, and tornadoes, I haven't had the chance yet.
Runnikee is offline Find More Posts by Runnikee
Old Apr 28, 2011, 07:14 PM
FXG
Joined Nov 2010
37 Posts
Waiting

Quote:
I will have to look to see it I use a normal sheet size for this one if so I will try to post a layout pdf.
Mike
Great, waiting for the right plan, thanks.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 01:02 PM
Crash and burn, huh Mav?
USA, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Aug 2010
995 Posts
What do you guys think would be the result if the wingspan was increased on this plane? Would it just make it more floaty, or would it completely botch up all of its flight characteristics?
Old Apr 29, 2011, 09:07 PM
RC Adddict
Joined Jan 2010
4,175 Posts
Carl went to a 64 " span

and Don went to a 39 " span and extended the fuselage

Here

i believe they both had no issues
Old May 10, 2011, 08:46 PM
USA, VA, Charlottesville
Joined Apr 2010
128 Posts
Wilfor, thanks so much for sharing your variation. I was looking for something to make for some friends kids, and this is perfect!
metasim is offline Find More Posts by metasim
Old May 11, 2011, 12:08 PM
Crash and burn, huh Mav?
USA, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Aug 2010
995 Posts
OK, I'm probably being nuts here, but I just destroyed an EDF jet last night (still don't know what went wrong) but all the electrics are fine. Any thoughts on throwing my edf on this airframe? What would happen? Is this a huge no-no? The motor I already have on my plane is way overpowered and it flies great with the speed. Would the fan just throw everything off?