HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2010, 09:58 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,923 Posts
Yep, just use a regular prop and spin the motor backwards. Easy with electric.
Mike
motorhead is offline Find More Posts by motorhead
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2010, 10:37 PM
John 3:16
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
I am planning on building one of these on Monday. I am hoping that it will become our new training plane.
Daddy-O
Daddy-O is offline Find More Posts by Daddy-O
Old Mar 04, 2010, 11:18 PM
Joined Sep 2007
179 Posts
This is awesome. The perfect thing to help get my niece into flying R/C planes since she wants to fly but doesn't like the combat aspect of IL-2 Sturmovik.
I'm so glad I saw this before I ordered some more EPP. Thank you so much for posting it.
Broken Bottle is offline Find More Posts by Broken Bottle
Old Mar 05, 2010, 02:23 AM
Foamaholic
Northern California
Joined Feb 2010
211 Posts
Hey thanks, that all makes sense appreciate the responses.
Mayday~Mayday is offline Find More Posts by Mayday~Mayday
Old Mar 08, 2010, 11:05 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,096 Posts
Would the plans and build out be basically the same on this plane with 6mm depron instead of the EPP? Any required or suggested changes?
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 08, 2010, 12:52 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,923 Posts
I have not tried it but the build will be about the same. The cut for the wing will need to be 6mm instead of 9mm as well as any tabs or other features that rely on the thickness.
Mike
Old Mar 09, 2010, 07:58 PM
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
I wasn't able to build my EzFly yesterday as planned, but did get the plans taped together. After work today, I cut them out, made semi-permanent stencils in the hopes that I will use this as an all-around trainer for several people. Then I cut out the parts with my hot wire cutter (it was very fast to cut out that way). I put it together with a combination of Gorilla PU Glue and hot glue. I've got the motor, esc and receiver mounted. I only have the servos left and it is done. I didn't paint it yet, but will do that after the maiden flight. I just wanted to get it done so that I could take it out for the maiden flight.
I thought the build was extremely easy, but I think someone new to building might have some trouble with the plans (not knowing where to cut and where not to. I cut and glued the plane in about an hour. The motor, etc. were robbed from a plane that my youngest son peeled apart a few months ago (when I wasn't around). EPP foam is not kid proof.
I think the plane is basically bullet proof (newby proof?) with the way it is built. It seems stiff enough to fly well, yet flexible enough to bend instead of break. The nose is super strong with three layers of 9mm foam, and the prop is very well protected. The plans were perfect as far as accuracy is concerned. Everything fit exactly where it was supposed to.
Thanks, motorhead, for such a great set of plans! I need to mount the servos, then the test flight. I will make the initial flight, then turn it over to my 13 year old who has flown several planes, but is not the best pilot. We'll see what he thinks about it. No buddy box this time, just him and the Ez.
Daddy-O
Old Mar 09, 2010, 08:50 PM
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
I didn't see where the cg was supposed to be. I'll need to know that for finishing up the plane tomorrow. Could someone post it? Thanks.
Daddy-O
Old Mar 09, 2010, 11:09 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,923 Posts
I have the CG on mine at 4" from the leading edge which is where the spar is. It looks aft but there is allot of aft horizontal surface so it can handle it. 3.5" might be a little safer but it is really tolerable on the CG range.
Let us know how your son does. Next week is spring break for the kids so I hope to have some nice days for my daughter and wife to do some flying.
Mike
Old Mar 10, 2010, 12:10 PM
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
I just finished my Ez. My AUW is right at 8oz with 2s 1300mah batteries. We are hoping to maiden it tomorrow morning. Pictures and a report to come.
Daddy-O
Old Mar 11, 2010, 09:45 AM
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
I was able to maiden our new EZ. I think my 24g motor must be the 1300, because the plane could barely hold it's altitude with the 6X3 prop and 2s 1300mah pack I was flying it with. The wind was blowing about 5mph for the first flight. It was stable, but no power.

I took it home and cut out a little bit more foam so I could put as large as a 8" prop in it, which is what I think the 24gram 1300kv motor needs (minimum). I was able to get back out later (lunch time) and fly again. The wind was easily blowing 15mph by that time. All the flags are straight out and leaves are being blown out of the trees. I threw it up and up, up and away it went with the 8X6 prop I now had on it. It was very stable in that strong wind and was able to penetrate the wind. I was able to keep it right in front of me with no penetration (just hanging in the air) also. The wing tips were flopping up and down sometimes, but I never felt like it was out of control.

If I can fly it in that kind of wind and keep it under complete control, I know it will be a great trainer in calm weather. I'll try it again when the wind dies down. I didn't turn the sticks over to my son since it wouldn't be a fair test for him or for the plane. We'll probably have to wait until the morning to try again.

Daddy-O
Old Mar 11, 2010, 06:36 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,923 Posts
For outdoors I think I went to 3s to fight the wind. Indoors it does not take much power. I originally wanted to use a 8" prop but did not want to cut away too much of the fuselage. I am interested in how yours takes the crashes. If it is not a problem then I may update the plans.
I was thinking of cutting down a 8" prop to fit in the slot but have a wider blade. There is not much to the little 6x3 prop.
Mike
Old Mar 11, 2010, 07:01 PM
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
Mike,
I thought that the fuse might break where I cut it down also. I am going to cut a skewer in half and put half on each side of the fuse below the cutout. That should reinforce it. I am hoping that it isn't too windy in the morning so that I can give it a proper test. I don't have to start work until 8:30am tomorrow, so I will have time before work for some fun.
Daddy-O
Old Mar 11, 2010, 08:07 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I was thinking of cutting down a 8" prop to fit in the slot but have a wider blade. There is not much to the little 6x3 prop.
Mike
Mike,

GWS has a 6 x 5 and 7 x 6 SF props that might be the ticket for you on 2s.

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Mar 11, 2010, 08:12 PM
For us He died, in me He lives
United States, MI, Saint Clair Shores
Joined Dec 2008
5,119 Posts
Now this guy is really cool. Pushers are great. Will have to add this one to the list.
Ken is right about the 6x5. I had the 1300 BW on my T1 and flew it with a 6x5 SF style, (key word here is SF) prop with a 360 3s rhino batt. That 6x5 SF on 3s sure gave it scooting power & didn't tax the motor too bad at all. I would also get more than a half hour on that little 360 3s batt too. Of course the T1 has a much greater lift to it and this was always in very calm conditions and only cruiseing at 25% throttle & usually never over 50%. But you get the picture.
1300BW, GWS 6x5 SF and 3s seems to be a very effective combo.
Jimmy JFlyer is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy JFlyer