HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 23, 2010, 04:29 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,627 Posts
What is the general area for the servo placement? Anyone have any measurements or pics that show this?
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2010, 04:31 AM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,810 Posts
I have my 2 servos mounted just below and behind the prop slot. The trick is to make sure that the wire is secured so it will not enter the prop.
Mike
motorhead is online now Find More Posts by motorhead
Old Apr 23, 2010, 04:38 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,627 Posts
Thanks, so just behind, one on eiher side or next to each other approx?
I assume most everythig nelse needs to go fairly far forward then to help balance the CG? All on left with lipo on front right?

Looks like this pic shows it, is this much like yours motorhead?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3077644

Also what is the thoughts on insetting the receiver, ESC into a cutout section of the nose doubler? Just to better protect it and make it cleaner? Thought maybe cut a square out of the doubler and placingthem within it and noticing for wires as well, so they dont get grabbed or ripped off as easy.
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 23, 2010, 07:01 AM
Beginner Pilot
Urbandale, Iowa
Joined Mar 2010
60 Posts
Here's mine. I could have moved the servos closer th the prop slot to help the cg, that's why I'm using a rhino 750mah 3s.
WrightSideUp is offline Find More Posts by WrightSideUp
Old Apr 23, 2010, 07:23 AM
Beginner Pilot
Urbandale, Iowa
Joined Mar 2010
60 Posts
A little more info. I put the servos on top to keep everything out of harms way. I also like to cut holes to mount the servos. I like the clean look and it makes them less likely to come off in flight. I'm using the EzFly to introduce the hobby to my friends and family so I limited the throttle to 75%. Still has plenty of power and seems to fly all day. Great little plane.

Blue (Silver) Wonder 1500kv
Prop GWS EP-6050
HK SS 10 amp ESC
Rhino 750mah 3S
HXT 500 Servos
Exceed 6 channel 2.4g Tx/Rx (the one Dave Powers recommends, same as the HK Tx/Rx)
Old Apr 23, 2010, 08:12 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,627 Posts
WrightSideUp - thanks a bunch.

Ya i've seen some other with them on top as well, trying to decide which is best now.

PS - is that red EPP or how did you color it? Looks harp.
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 23, 2010, 09:18 AM
Beginner Pilot
Urbandale, Iowa
Joined Mar 2010
60 Posts
The all white epp kit was from www.midwestfoamplanes.com. The red and blue (under the wing tips) are Krylon fusion for plastic. The black is a Sharpie magnum sprayed with Testors dull cote. Not really worried about weight on this plane, it will be flying outside and with the 3s lipo it has plenty of power. I have flown it in winds as high as 15 mph. I'm not that great of pilot but, I was able fly it without incident. It's much more fun with less wind.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 09:22 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,627 Posts
Thanks again. I gothe midwest kit as well and have a 1500kv and 450 3S planned for it for outside use.

I think I go with both servos like you on top but down through the wing near the prop slot on either side of fuselage. And also try and inset the wires, esc, Rx in a groove in the fuselage doubler so its all clean and not sticking out as much.
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 23, 2010, 09:31 AM
Beginner Pilot
Urbandale, Iowa
Joined Mar 2010
60 Posts
Just keep in mind I used the 750mah 3s to get some weight up front to get the CG right. I think if I had moved the servos closer to the prop slot I would have been better off. Although, I still have some room to move the battery forward. I had also thought about hiding the ESC and Tx but, since this was the 4th plane I have build and flown I just kept it simple. I would have never started this hobby if it wasn't for these inexpensive, great flying planes.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 10:16 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,627 Posts
I think if I put the servos on top but as far ahead as possible it should be fine. Even if put on the bottom where recommended by motorhead the ystill are behind the prop slot, so the only difference should be them slightly higher but will still be right at the centering of the wing and fuselage.
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 23, 2010, 12:09 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,810 Posts
The only reason i mounted them down low is to not have to use wire extensions like writesideup. His layout is much cleaner. It also will not be a problem to bury the componenets. Fly it first with the battery on the side. If you are only going to use one size of battery then you can bury it too after you are happy with its location.
Mike
Old Apr 23, 2010, 12:23 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,627 Posts
motorhead thanks. I don't think I will bury the battery, that way it still has some adjustment and I cna swap different ones in, just the esc, receiver, and wires I think. The length on the servo wires could be the issue though, I'll have to check that as I'd sooner not use extensions. I think if I put them right neat the prop slot in the wing I should still have enough.
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 23, 2010, 01:49 PM
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Feb 2010
874 Posts
Here are photos of one the two that I built. This one is for a friend I am going to teach. It balances just forward of the spar and I will see how that works. I also added strapping tape to the bottom to help keep the front bottom from getting torn up and it needed a little weight in the nose anyway. Also have it set for landing gear once we move off of grass onto a hard surface so that it he can learn to ROG. Probably test fly it tomorrow and start with the training next week. Will let you all know how it goes.

SpadCat
SpadCat2000 is online now Find More Posts by SpadCat2000
Old Apr 23, 2010, 02:55 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,810 Posts
Looks good. The strapping tape is a good idea. I will have to post a picture of the gear on my daughters. She kept ripping the gear off so I make it spring loaded and no problems now.
Mike
Old Apr 23, 2010, 03:28 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,627 Posts
I was thinking of maybe adding a carbon strip to the leading edge of the wing, similar to the f117 to give some added stiffness and protection. Has anyone tried that on this plane?
Site Sponsor