HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2010, 06:58 PM
Oh so close!
Campbell River
Joined Jan 2010
702 Posts
Help!
How the heck am I going to mount this motor?

Hi all,

I'm in the process of putting an order for parts for a Carl Goldberg Mirage 550 and am going brushless from the brushed motor it came with. From the attached pic you can see the spiffy hi-tech way the original motor was mounted.
This is the new motor I am probably going to be ordering http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...lectric/Detail and clearly it is a lot smaller and I'm pretty sure it may be impractical to mount it the old way!
Any suggestions for a total noob at this?

Thank you in advance
clipper99 is offline Find More Posts by clipper99
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2010, 07:13 PM
Texas
Joined Jan 2005
1,433 Posts
Remove the 2 sticks the current motor is mounted to and mount directly to the firewall.
smurf is offline Find More Posts by smurf
Old Jan 12, 2010, 07:16 PM
Texas
Joined Jan 2005
1,433 Posts
You may even have to put a box infront of your firewall like what is pictured in this photo.
smurf is offline Find More Posts by smurf
Old Jan 12, 2010, 07:17 PM
Dickinson, Tx.
Joined Sep 2004
5,345 Posts
Depends on the weight difference between the 2 motors. If the new motor is heavier, then post # 2 should work, but if it is lighter you will have to extend the fire wall...

There are other mounts to use, but that is another can of worms depending on the power and size of prop...

Challenger413
Challenger 413 is offline Find More Posts by Challenger 413
Old Jan 12, 2010, 07:19 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,157 Posts
Don't know if this will match up, I'm using one in an E conversion.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=9082

and another
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7388
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Jan 12, 2010, 07:22 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
There is a cowl that goes over the motor when it is all put together, so you will need to build a ply box so that the motor sits just behind the front of the cowl..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jan 12, 2010, 07:27 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,603 Posts
If you look at the plans the motor mount sticks are at a completely different angle than the firewall.
So a ply box to get both the correct angle and cowl fit is needed.
Easy way might be to cut the sticks to the right length. Glue the new firewall on the front of them and then fill in behind it to form the box.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Jan 12, 2010, 08:49 PM
Flying electric since 1986
USA, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Oct 2000
1,764 Posts
Ah, memories! My second RC plane was a Mirage. I flew it for many years with just that can motor, on/off switch for a throttle...rubber bands, sticks, and all. It was a nice flyer.

Now that I think about it...that was in 1988 or '89. Has it really been 20 years?

I'm getting old.
Mark Wolf is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wolf
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stevens Aeromodel Skybuggy 100
Old Jan 12, 2010, 09:31 PM
USA, MI, Harrison Township
Joined Sep 2000
3,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wolf View Post
Ah, memories! My second RC plane was a Mirage. I flew it for many years with just that can motor, on/off switch for a throttle...rubber bands, sticks, and all. It was a nice flyer.

Now that I think about it...that was in 1988 or '89. Has it really been 20 years?

I'm getting old.
The same for me about the same time. Built mine as well with a servo operated on/off switch. Late 80's. Some people didn't use the servo operated switch and just flipped the motor on, launched it and flew until the battery was dead and the plane wouldn't glide anymore after that. Would freak the lipo guys out that we used to do that to batteries. First plane was a Midwest Aerolectric that lasted about 5 second. Found an instructor to help with the Mirage and it lasted many years. I've got unbuilt kits for both of these on my shelf. Going to build the Mirage pretty soon I think for a park/winter flyer.

When I eventually get around to building my Mirage, I'm going to do as someone suggested. Use the sticks and glue a new firewall to the end of them. Then add a little structure behind it if necesary. The original 05 Can motor was only good for about 80 watts or so. Whatever you use now can be a lot lighter. This means that there may be some balance challenge wih the battery when you are done tp avoid being tail heavy.
RyanPSU21 is offline Find More Posts by RyanPSU21
Old Jan 12, 2010, 09:41 PM
Oh so close!
Campbell River
Joined Jan 2010
702 Posts
pmackenie,

Thanks for the suggestion, this seems like the easiest/best way to go to me! BTW, just why is the motor mounted like that anyways? Why not mount it straight inline with the plane? Is to counter the rotational torque?
clipper99 is offline Find More Posts by clipper99
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:43 PM
Flying electric since 1986
USA, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Oct 2000
1,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanPSU21 View Post
The same for me about the same time. Built mine as well with a servo operated on/off switch. Late 80's. Some people didn't use the servo operated switch and just flipped the motor on, launched it and flew until the battery was dead and the plane wouldn't glide anymore after that.
I had the servo operated on/off switch in mine. Flew on 6 cell nicad RC car packs, charged with a timer charger. If the battery wasn't warm when the timer went off...just leave it on charge for another few minutes!
Mark Wolf is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wolf
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stevens Aeromodel Skybuggy 100
Old Jan 13, 2010, 02:26 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clipper99 View Post
pmackenie,

Thanks for the suggestion, this seems like the easiest/best way to go to me! BTW, just why is the motor mounted like that anyways? Why not mount it straight inline with the plane? Is to counter the rotational torque?
Yes,it is quite common to have down and right thrust to counter both torque and the tendency to nose up under power.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Jan 13, 2010, 02:41 AM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
I suggested a different motor in your other thread that could use the stock mounting scheme. The motor you have linked to above is a much better match from a performance standpoint than the one you have in your first post in the other thread.

To others not familiar with the details of the Mirage 550 - the two stick mount sets both the right and down thrust and was a very quick and easy way to mount the motor the airplane was designed for - a 550-size can motor. The "firewall" is also raked aft on top to match the cowl. Building a box for a rear-mounted outrunner could be done but it will take some care.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Last edited by BEC; Jan 13, 2010 at 10:20 AM. Reason: added motor comment
Old Jan 13, 2010, 07:49 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,655 Posts
I have a Mirage in my storage shed that I flew for a while many years ago. It was a lot of fun. I used a ESC for the motor instead of a on off switch arrangement.
The nicad packs seemed better able to handle being run down until dead. But at the time the Mirage was available, Lipos were not really out yet.

Converting to brushless would entail cutting off the two motor mount sticks and mounting directly to the firewall. You may need to reinforce the firewall with a additional piece of plywood too.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2010, 08:07 AM
Joined May 2005
176 Posts
I would use the 2 sticks as a starting place for building a box.

So you already have the bottom 2 corners of the box. Just cut them to the length you need to fit the new motor inside the cowl. Put a firewall on the end, a couple more sticks for the top parallel to the existing ones, then some braces to hold the box square.
jonesdb is offline Find More Posts by jonesdb