SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 12, 2010, 02:50 PM
Joined Jan 2009
53 Posts
Question
wheel pants?

i'm wanting to use a set of wheel pants on my build. my question is how to go about mounting them on my wire landing gear. i'm gonna cut a piece of balsa to cover the wire to make the landing gear legs look better. just wondering how yall attatched wheel pants. thanks!
slickscustoms is offline Find More Posts by slickscustoms
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2010, 05:28 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
What airplane are you wanting to install wheel pants on? Music Wire landing gear do make this installation somewhat more difficult. I would probably solder some type of plate to the Landing gear wire to help secure the pants to the Landing gear. However, if flying from grass with small airplanes, I would forgo wheel pants (fairings) entirely, the grass tends grab the pants and brake them off, or the airplane trips over the pants and flips over!
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:59 AM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,167 Posts
I've been flying off grass for the best part of 15 years, never an issue with pants, but then our field is neatly cut, not a fairway, but not far from it.

Sullivan make wheel pant holders, which work on 40 sized aicraft well. How big are the pants? I've tried a lot of ways to hold them on, some work, some are painful.
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
Old Jan 13, 2010, 10:11 AM
Why yes, I am an R/C addict!
About 15 miles from Bristow, OK
Joined May 2009
650 Posts
I had the same dilemma. I just drilled holes in the wheel pants, painted them, slid them them on, put the wheel on, put one wheel collar by the wheel, and one outside the wheel pant. It worked very well. It sounds kinda confusing, so I will try and post pic tonight or tomorrow night.
flyrcehelis is offline Find More Posts by flyrcehelis
Old Jan 13, 2010, 06:58 PM
Joined Jan 2009
53 Posts
i'm wanting to put them on a mini telemaster... i know the plane doesnt need that much extra weight but, i'm gonna try anyway. if nothing else just for the finished look of my color scheme, then take them off to fly. my idea is to epoxy a wheel collar to the inside of the pants and use that as the secure point. i just dont know how well that would hold up.
slickscustoms is offline Find More Posts by slickscustoms
Old Jan 13, 2010, 07:19 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,460 Posts
best to solder a plate like Mode One says on the wire gear... drill to holes in the plate nad run some very short bolts through the pant and the plate. The pant should have some lite ply to reinforcement that will be against the plate, maybe hardened with CA or similar. The wheel collar idea would secure to the wire gear but woulid not leave to attache the pant to securely.
Mike
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin