SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 18, 2012, 06:01 AM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,635 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelghammer View Post
Thanks Eric and Ivor

Modelling the intakes wasnīt that hard but I had to move the centerline up and down a bit. You can see it in the side view with the formers. The blue line doesnīt go straight down the fuse but rather follows the widest part of the formers.

<snip>

- Michael Hammer
Hi Michael,

I had to look at your example pretty close to see how your handling the inlets. I do the same when cutting the inlets or features similar to that on my hand cut and the ones I did on GMFC. I utilized two formers to get the finished product to get the representation as close to the full scale as possible.

Thanks for posting the pictures they helped a lot.

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2012, 06:08 AM
Denmark
Joined Dec 2004
559 Posts
Glad to be able to help

Before you mentioned the possibility to use dxf files as background images, I hadnīt noticed this. So Iīm learning too.

- Michael Hammer
michaelghammer is offline Find More Posts by michaelghammer
Old Apr 18, 2012, 06:09 AM
Joined Nov 1999
13,635 Posts
Hi Ivor,

One thing that impressed me with this program is its ability to do the things I was trying to do with AutoCAD and Inventor together. I took each section as a seperate section similar to what Devfus does and then transfered the solids to AutoCAD where I seperated the end surfaces to make the templates for cutting foam. This program does the template seperation and writes the Gcode to run the foam cutter thus the reason why I am moving to Mach3.

Cheers,
Eric B.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:30 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,635 Posts
Hi Michael,

Its fun learning this kind of stuff. Devfus is a heck of a lot easier than working in Unigraphics NX6 which the company I work for has moved to from Inventor 2011....

Earlier you said your making your own G-code for 2 indiviual templates, I had thought that Devfus foam would make that g-code for us. Have you tried that out yet and if so how does it work for you?

Cheers,
Eric B.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:27 PM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,527 Posts
Eric,

Can you print the templates directly from Devfus? Also what are the file types that Devfus can export?

Steve
SteveC68 is offline Find More Posts by SteveC68
Old Apr 18, 2012, 08:57 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,635 Posts
Hi Steve,

It will write gcode for 4axis machine using mach3, It will export dxf, it will import jpeg, gif, tiff, and dxf.
It will print all templates/drawings to various European sized paper.
It will also print upper and lower cover patterns similar to paper models, this can be used in depron models similar to the ones being built from paper models.

Eric B.
Last edited by AirX; Apr 18, 2012 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Added comment
Old Apr 19, 2012, 02:06 AM
Denmark
Joined Dec 2004
559 Posts
Hi Eric

DevFusFoam is a lot of fun to use. Itīs such a specialized program. You can only use it to produce fuselages (or nacelles etc.) which to many might seem like a very negative thing (what no wings???) but is does this task so well, easy and quick. Iīm still amazed with the speed with which you can model a basic fuselage. I spend more time setting up the CNC foam cutter on the kitchen table (Iīm in between workshops at the moment) than making a basic fuselage in DevFusFoam

When I built the first CNC foam cutter I didnīt have DevFusFoam or Profili 2 Pro yet. So I used Rhino and RhinoCAM to generate some 2― axis G-code. Just like if you wanted to cut a fuselage former from a sheet of plywood (profiling). I then imported the 2― axis G-code into a spread sheet, deleted the Z values and copied the X and Y values and replaced the X with Z and Y with A.

X10.000 Y10.000 Z5.0000

to

X10.0000 Y10.000

to

X10.0000 Y10.000 Z10.0000 A10.0000

This produces G-code for a non-tapered element. You could also use the G-code from two different 2― axis G-codes like a big root airfoil and a small tip airfoil. But you then need to reduce the cutting feed at the tip by a percentage calculateted by the difference between the distances traveled by the wire. Not too difficult to do with macros, but I only made the non-tapered version spread sheet before moving on to DevFusFoam. But this way you can use your "old" dxf cross sections to produce foam parts. Or if you needed a special trailing edge for a flap system Profili 2 wouldnīt be able to do this and you could use this method to edit the airfoil and produce the G-code.

Please note that you may need to add some extra G-code to compensate for the fact that the wire canīt be raised like a mill and rapid across the sheet/foam.

I hope this explains it

- Michael Hammer
Last edited by michaelghammer; Apr 19, 2012 at 02:25 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:33 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,635 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelghammer View Post
Hi Eric

DevFusFoam is a lot of fun to use. Itīs such a specialized program. You can only use it to produce fuselages (or nacelles etc.) which to many might seem like a very negative thing (what no wings???) but is does this task so well, easy and quick. Iīm still amazed with the speed with which you can model a basic fuselage. I spend more time setting up the CNC foam cutter on the kitchen table (Iīm in between workshops at the moment) than making a basic fuselage in DevFusFoam

When I built the first CNC foam cutter I didnīt have DevFusFoam or Profili 2 Pro yet. So I used Rhino and RhinoCAM to generate some 2― axis G-code. Just like if you wanted to cut a fuselage former from a sheet of plywood (profiling). I then imported the 2― axis G-code into a spread sheet, deleted the Z values and copied the X and Y values and replaced the X with Z and Y with A.

X10.000 Y10.000 Z5.0000

to

X10.0000 Y10.000

to

X10.0000 Y10.000 Z10.0000 A10.0000

This produces G-code for a non-tapered element. You could also use the G-code from two different 2― axis G-codes like a big root airfoil and a small tip airfoil. But you then need to reduce the cutting feed at the tip by a percentage calculateted by the difference between the distances traveled by the wire. Not too difficult to do with macros, but I only made the non-tapered version spread sheet before moving on to DevFusFoam. But this way you can use your "old" dxf cross sections to produce foam parts. Or if you needed a special trailing edge for a flap system Profili 2 wouldnīt be able to do this and you could use this method to edit the airfoil and produce the G-code.

Please note that you may need to add some extra G-code to compensate for the fact that the wire canīt be raised like a mill and rapid across the sheet/foam.

I hope this explains it

- Michael Hammer
Hi Michael,

I looked at the g-code written by Devfusefoam and it did not have the XYZA prefixed to the lines of code as you have it written. Is it supposed to have them set into the code?

Eric B.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:26 AM
Denmark
Joined Dec 2004
559 Posts
Hi Eric

Sorry about the late answer. Hereīs how my DevFusFoam setup looks like and and an example of the generated G-code.

- Michael Hammer
Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:54 AM
Joined Nov 1999
13,635 Posts
Hi Michael,

Thansk for the information, I will look into it tonight.
I think this is going to work out well.

Cheers,
Eric B.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:57 PM
Joined Jun 2009
39 Posts
gmfc plans

Hi im alberto,im italian and are 3 years that i used gmfc with mm2001,i made some wonderful works ,my planes that my friend make the files are extra330,p51a,p51d,cesna,f4u,p40, and more,ihere there is somebody that use gmfc,so we can work togheter and change the files
albe359 is offline Find More Posts by albe359
Old Apr 29, 2012, 01:00 PM
Joined Jun 2009
39 Posts
this is p 51a
Old Apr 29, 2012, 01:07 PM
Joined Jun 2009
39 Posts
sorry for my poor english...
come on all we need new planes....just born to fly
later i'll go to finish tuo cut the tucano...all plane are 1.5 mt
Old Apr 29, 2012, 02:15 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,635 Posts
Hi Albe359,

Welcome to RCGroups, I have used GMFC and had great success with it. The reason I moved from it was my old computer died, it took all my cad programs with it. I wanted to replace the software with a better program that I could draw with and seamlessly go to the CNC to cut the parts. GMFC can't do that at the moment.

Cheers,
Eric B.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 02:50 PM
Joined Jun 2009
39 Posts
oooo i understand,if you want some my plans tell me...the plans are in rhino 3d,maybe you can use...so here in rcgroups there are somebody that use gmfc?you know?
there is a thread about it?