HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 08, 2012, 02:23 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,648 Posts
Hi Guys,

I finally joined into the DevFuseFoam and DevFuseCAM users.
I am wondering if you can take the outlines derived in DevFuseCAM and use it in DevFusefoam?
I thought this would be possible but I have not found it yet.

The next step is to get something going so I can cut it on my 4axis machine. I have not gotten mach3 yet so that is a bit into the future so first thing first getting my knowlege of the programs working well enough to make some models from it.

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2012, 01:47 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirX View Post
Hi Guys,

I finally joined into the DevFuseFoam and DevFuseCAM users.
I am wondering if you can take the outlines derived in DevFuseCAM and use it in DevFusefoam?
I thought this would be possible but I have not found it yet.

The next step is to get something going so I can cut it on my 4axis machine. I have not gotten mach3 yet so that is a bit into the future so first thing first getting my knowlege of the programs working well enough to make some models from it.

Eric B.
I found out how this works.
To answer my own question, all you need to do is select the file in Devfus that was designed in Devfusfoam and it will place the outlines and the sections into that program allowing one to work on a wood version of the same airframe.
I am happy with what I have seen and learned so far and will be aquiring DevCAD, Devfus, Devfusfoam, Profili for my building.
Now this is not to say that it does everything I need but it fulfills the greatest part of what I expect from it.

Cheers,
Eric B.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 04:34 AM
Denmark
Joined Dec 2004
559 Posts
Glad you worked it out.

I just recently bought DevfusFoam and Profili 2 Pro and Iīm very pleased with both programs. Iīm most impressed with the speed of creating fuselages in DevfusFoam. Itīs actually possible to model a basic scale fuselage in less than an hour. More complex shapes takes longer of course, but compared to modeling a fuselage in Rhino itīs VERY fast.

Hereīs a few screenshots I took of my take on a J35 Draken. Just WIP but it does have the basic lines of the Draken.

- Michael Hammer
michaelghammer is offline Find More Posts by michaelghammer
Last edited by michaelghammer; Apr 12, 2012 at 05:09 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 06:42 AM
Joined Nov 1999
13,648 Posts
Ya, I am sold. I downloaded the programs to learn how it works, very intuitive all of them. The Devcad product is easy to slide into also as it is very similar to AutoCAD.

Michael,

Nice work on the Draken, how did you do the inlets, I have not progressed that far yet. I have only worked on a transport fuselage. Does it require manipulation of the start and end points at the inlet?

Eric B.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:33 AM
Seattle
Joined Dec 2001
1,465 Posts
Michael,
Very nicely done. a lot of careful work in setting up the cross sections.
Can't wait to see the foam pieces.

Ivor
fuelsguy is online now Find More Posts by fuelsguy
Old Apr 13, 2012, 05:39 AM
Denmark
Joined Dec 2004
559 Posts
Thanks Eric and Ivor

Modelling the intakes wasnīt that hard but I had to move the centerline up and down a bit. You can see it in the side view with the formers. The blue line doesnīt go straight down the fuse but rather follows the widest part of the formers.

Ivor, Iīm pleased that you like what you see with your skill at building nice scale jets.

One of the things I really like about DevFusFoam is the way you set up formers and edit them. You just select the position where you want it. Then you pick your background picture of the cross section, show the program the top and bottom position af the cross section. DevFusFoam then automaticly scales the former to fit the top and side view.

Regarding editing formers Iīve found it best to delete as many of the control points as possible. Less control points make a much cleaner shape.

BTW it is possible to scale the finished project just by multiplying length, width and height with the same factor.

I can only recommend that you try the free version (G-code locked) and try it out for yourself.

My new ver.2 DIY foamcutter is finished and ready to cut, BUT very little time to build so...

A few screen shots of some other DevFusFoam projects:

- Michael Hammer
Old Apr 13, 2012, 11:21 AM
Seattle
Joined Dec 2001
1,465 Posts
You sound like you are in the same stage as I am. I have a 4 axis wire cutter in the build stage, working on the y axis drives right now, and researching which wire cutter software makes the most sense.
My "problem" is I have lots of designs in CAD and would love to be able to take a DXF file of cross sections and move them to the wire cutter software so I don't have to re-do them all again. Having spent a lot of time getting the profile and cross sections to be consistent with each other it's a bit of a pain to have to re-do them.
I 'll keep researching for a while then settle on one program. Devfusfoam and TJZoide seem to have front two places.
More when I get the towers up and running.

Ivor
Old Apr 13, 2012, 01:35 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelghammer View Post
Thanks Eric and Ivor

Modelling the intakes wasnīt that hard but I had to move the centerline up and down a bit. You can see it in the side view with the formers. The blue line doesnīt go straight down the fuse but rather follows the widest part of the formers.
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the information I will take a closer look tonight.
I lost all my modeling for the past few years to a hard drive that died. I have gotten one of my projects designed in DevFusFoam over the weekend. It is an AN124 for 4 70mm, I put in maybe 4-5 hrs from scratch and had the fuselage looking better than when I had it in Inventor and the hours I spent in Inventor were well over 100hrs.
I need to redo my design of the An72/74 2-70mm, T2A Buckeye 90mm and A4 Skyhawk for 90mm. I had designed a T/A37 that I had gotten out of Inventor before the hard drive crash, it is next to be cut. Since it is already in AutoCAD I can make DXF of the sections and put them into Dev FuseFoam to cut. I think this program can get them done all it is a matter of time spent working it.

Cheers,
Eric B.
Last edited by AirX; Apr 13, 2012 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Added comment
Old Apr 13, 2012, 06:32 PM
Denmark
Joined Dec 2004
559 Posts
Hi Eric and Ivor

I also wanted a program which could handle dxf import and did all the research. At one point I thought I had found it: Foamworks 4.0 But it turned out to be a major dissapointment. So in the end I settled with DevFusFoam and I certainly don't regret it.

I can make 2 axis code with my CAM software and manipulate that into 4 axis code. But it works best with non tapered or low tapered parts. If you use Rhino for Cad, there's a danish guy working on a plugin which should be able to create 4 axis code directly from the Cad parts.

However as Eric correctly points out it would be very easy and fast to use your dxf drawings as the basis for a DevFusFoam fuselage. I too have spent countless hours modeling 3D fuses in Rhino but it all seems quite complicated when compared to the sleek and fast workflow of DevFusFoam.

A crying shame you lost so much work due to hardware failure. But I look forward to seeing all your interesting planes getting designed and cut.
Ivor, if you plan on using Mach3 with your foam cnc, you should consider getting a X-box 360 controller for it. I have the wireless kind and I can control all movements with it using the joysticks. It's very easy to jog all four axis' simultaniously with it. You can program it to do lots of stuff like program start and stop.

- Michael
Old Apr 13, 2012, 10:38 PM
Seattle
Joined Dec 2001
1,465 Posts
Eric,
How do you get from DFX to Devfusfoam sections? I thought you were stuck with background raster images not accurate vector files.
Let me in on the secret!

Ivor
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:21 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,648 Posts
Hi Ivor,

At the background images screen, select set image, in the dialogue box it has a preview screen, file name entry box, and file type drop down box. In the drop down box you can select the file types - gif, bitmap, tif, pcx, png, tag, jpeg, DXF, and dc1.
This works with fuselage overall outlines and when editing selected formers.

Cheers,
Eric B.
Last edited by AirX; Apr 14, 2012 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Added cpmment
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:55 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelghammer View Post
Hi Eric and Ivor
<snip>
A crying shame you lost so much work due to hardware failure. But I look forward to seeing all your interesting planes getting designed and cut.
Ivor, if you plan on using Mach3 with your foam cnc, you should consider getting a X-box 360 controller for it. I have the wireless kind and I can control all movements with it using the joysticks. It's very easy to jog all four axis' simultaniously with it. You can program it to do lots of stuff like program start and stop.

- Michael
Hi Michael,

I am going to use Mach3, it seems to work although I am still sorting it out, I would like to find the 4-axis GUI that D-pot posted but have not been able to locate it.

I will look into the joystick as that was one thing that GMFC did well enough in resetting the home spot. I would still be using it but I need CAD software so why not get one that has CAM ability already mated to it.

Cheers,
Eric B.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 08:14 PM
USA, MD, Joppa
Joined Jul 2003
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirX View Post
Hi Michael,

I am going to use Mach3, it seems to work although I am still sorting it out, I would like to find the 4-axis GUI that D-pot posted but have not been able to locate it.

Cheers,
Eric B.
Here is the post with the link to the MACH 4 axis screen
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1167734

Sam
Sam Harbold is offline Find More Posts by Sam Harbold
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:56 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,648 Posts
Hi Sam,

Thanks for the link to your Mach3 4axis screen. I hope to get this up and running this weekend.

Cheers,
Eric B.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:40 AM
Seattle
Joined Dec 2001
1,465 Posts
Eric,
Thanks, I found my way to the section you indicated. I can see the DXF as the background "sketch" and can then create the side and top views etc.
I was hoping to be able to import the DXF former directly and not have to re-draw them using the splines etc, since the DXF shapes are very accurate, i.e. consistent to each other within the errors of the CAD program. The added step of creating the spline versions does introduce errors, but it;'s manageable.
Zooming in helps a lot.

Thanks again,
Ivor