Sorry mate - meant to post this pic:

BJ
BJ64 is offline Find More Posts by BJ64
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:31 PM
United States, CA, Lancaster
Joined Jan 2009
1,260 Posts
All this does is change the side and top control point values. I usually do this when adjusting the side and top control points while editing the formers.
Try this: note these values, then in the former editor adjust the side and top control points. Then go back and see how theses values change.
I do not use the other 3 filling radius settings.
p901P901 is offline Find More Posts by p901P901
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:09 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
24,887 Posts
I guess what I should have asked is: does moving the major 4 control-points around change any of the final cutting dimensions, or does it simply make drawing/tracing a little easier?

And how accurate is the 'ruler' widget? e.g. if I measure something with it, and it tells me it's 100mm wide, will the finished but block be exactly 100mm wide at that point (assuming kerf etc. have all been catered for)?

BJ
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:38 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,260 Posts
Those settings are to adjust the radius of the splines for the 4 major control points. This helps the smoothing effect of the spline.
I used the program to make templates for my models and did not see any dimension changes. Why dont you print out the former section and see if there is any changes.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:32 AM
Joined Jun 2009
24,887 Posts
Ahhhh.... lil light goes on...

I think I've figured out what those "filling radius" settings are for.

I'll see if I can do a bit of a write-up with pics so that it all makes sense.

Suffice to say, if I try to draw that Former #20 of mine so that it's exactly 248mm wide, ~93mm high (both at the maximum extremes), 9mm above the centreline at it's lowest point and get the thing to fit the former shape as precisely as I can, I have to change the Upper and Lower filling radius on the Y-axis so that my width control-points are at the junction of where the lower circle breaks direction and starts heading out wider.

I fiddled and fart-arsed around for ages and when I finally got a nice trace, the darn width and height didn't match what they should be. And when I got those right, I couldn't get back in to trace the 'inner' contours.

A lot of that had to do with where I did my initial 'calibration' for that former - remembering that you can always go 'out' from where the left/right (plan view) control points are set but never 'in'... and you can always go 'in' from where the up/down (side view) control points are, but never 'out'.

I've worked out a little system to use so that I can get the Former sitting in the correct position relative to the centreline in both the plan and side views, while still being able to trace the shape perfectly - and have it come out the correct width, height, and offset to centreline...

BJ
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:52 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,260 Posts
Sure wish those profile control points could be adjusted in the former editor. Side points can be move up or down. And top and bottom can be move left or right.
I have not tried the other filling radius methods and do not know their full function. I see while using them the profile control points are not used in the former editor.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 05:22 AM
Joined Jun 2009
24,887 Posts
I you look closely, you should notice that those controls actually shift the left/right pair up or down, and the up/down pair probably left of right (only changed the Y-axis values on the Upper and Lower 'filling radius' so far).

But yes, being able dynamically change those control points would be a great addition to the software. You can already change them - but only in one direction. And albeit only via click-and-drag. I can't see why you shouldn't be able to change them in the other direction - ok, so some recalibration may be needed, but that shouldn't take all that long on modern 'puters (unless there's something I'm not understanding).

Another great addition to the software would be a right-click dialog box that opens while over a control-point in the side/top view editor (or elsewhere) so that you could change the co-ordinates to absolute mm/inches - I find it really tedious to try and measure/shift... measure/shift etc control points via the GUI, only to find it jumps up/down/left/right of where I want it to exactly be without being able to pin-point a specific co-ordinate.

If the 'measuring' tool knows exactly where it is, then the software must know too - so an 'exact' dialog box shouldn't be all that hard to add (??)

BJ
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:05 PM
Joined Jun 2009
24,887 Posts
I have finally gotten around to setting up the CNC Hotwire, so I thought I'd drum up a small test piece in DevFus Foam and run the G-Code through Mach3.

As basic and simple as my quick hand-drawn 'wedge' is, it seems to have confused the hell out of DevFus Foam.

As you can see, it's just a 100mm long shape 10mm high at the front, 25mm high at the rear and 20mm wide at the front to 30mm wide at the rear.

What DFF created is nothing like what I drew, and seems to want to be more than 90mm wide and over 40mm high - a far cry from 10-25 100 and 20-30 100mm.

It all goes funky right at the start after I have calibrated the side and top views - the blue trace lines are all over the place, and the bottom line in Top View isn't moving as a mirror image of the top line in Top View (pic 04).

It gets even weirder - if I change the overall length from 100mm to 300mm, it generates a pronounced 'bump' in the 3D shape, but still nothing like the simple tapered object it's supposed to be.

This has me stumped...

BJ
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:54 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,260 Posts
Somethings is wrong with your background image. The top and side views lengths should be the same. Try resetting the background image.
Last edited by p901P901; Jan 07, 2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:38 PM
Joined Jun 2009
24,887 Posts
Hmmm... that doesn't really make sense to me - it's just a background image that you use as a guide to where you plot the actual points, no?

Side and Top views were exactly the same size when I quickly drew them on a piece of paper before scanning them in - the Top view seems to have changed its overall length visually when I cropped it.

And unless I'm not understanding this at all, that's why you have to calibrate the length when you first set the Side and Top view images - to synchronize the overall length of both the Side and Top view (??).

I'll redraw the example a bit more neatly and import the images again - see what happens this time...

BJ
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:37 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,260 Posts
Sorry about the poor quality image. I am using a trail version of Snagit and just started using it.
1 7 2013 Devfus (6 min 52 sec)
Last edited by p901P901; Jan 07, 2013 at 08:53 PM.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 09:31 PM
Joined Jun 2009
24,887 Posts
Hmmm...MMMmmm.... very strange, indeed.

When I copied your Side and Top views and used them to create a solid, it seems to have worked ok.

I still got the really squirrelly default lines first-up, similar to what happened in pic CNC Test 03 earlier, but after removing the blue control points and lining everything up as per the view contours, I ended up with a 3D solid that I was expecting to see.

I wonder if there was something strange going on with my original roughly hand-drawn Side and Top views that caused unexpected results?

Thanks for your help, mate

BJ
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:25 PM
Joined Jun 2009
24,887 Posts
H-e-l-p!

Now that I feel I'm finally coming to grips with DevFus Foam, I started cobbling the FC2913 CNC Hotwire together. No luck whatsoever in getting Mach3 to talk to it.

I've configured, checked, and re-configured Mach3 - but nup, nothing moves on the cutter.

I can see the axes all moving on the Mach3 screen with I hit the jog fwd/bkwd, up/dwn etc keys, but the stepper motors aren't moving.

Intalled Mach3 as per the instructions - including the all-import reboot after the parallel port driver installation, set my pins & ports, axes parms blah blah blah all as per instructions. Nada. Not a thing.

I've noticed that I can get each axis to make one motor step by pushing the jog key for that axis one way, then the other, then back the other way again. I hear/feel a clunk, and I can see that axis move a single step. It's always only the one way, after I've pressed the corresponding jog keys in a set sequence.

This indicates to me that there is communication going on between Mach3, the parallel port, the controller box, and finally the stepper motors themselves. But it's not behaving as it should.

Any ideas?

BJ
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:15 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,260 Posts
My experience is with CNC routers that does not use Mach3. If your able to jog the motors and cannot run a program then there is a possibility that "home" was not set. You have to run each motor to its limits so Mach3 will know what position each axes is at.
I do not know how to set home in Mach3 so there has to be a way to record this. Step size, etc.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:22 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,635 Posts
Might be motor voltage from the driver board, I seem to remember that there is a minimum/maximum voltage that needs to be set by potentiometer. This was for my HobbyCNC 4-axis controller. I dont remember the voltages and cant find the old paperwork.

Maybe someone else will chime in.

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX