HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2010, 02:07 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,648 Posts
Discussion
4 axis wire foam cutting programs.

I am starting this thread to catalog software used on foam cut CNC machines.

Give a description of the software and the type of machine/circuit board it is used on and then a short description of how it works and how you like it.

I use Giles Muller foam cutting software on my CNC. It works well enough to make some very intricate cuts with decent acuracy. I run it on a Hobby CNC board that was hand built, driven by an old HP/AMD machine. I like the Giles Muller software but it is expensive ~$150 - 200.

I am looking into CeNeCe and CNC Workbench from Australia which I am working on ATM.

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Last edited by AirX; Jan 14, 2010 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Added comment
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2010, 02:48 PM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
I'm also a big fan of of GMFC. The thing that I really like about it is how it handles kerf compensation. With tapered panels the tip speed is slower resulting in a larger kerf at the tip. In GMFC this can be compensated for so the tip airfoil remains true.

I'm running the HobbyCNC Foam Pro board with heat control. This enables me to control the wire temp with the GMFC software.

The one catch is that GMFC requires a driver board that has an integrated quartz timer. A timer can be placed in front of an existing board that doesn't have a quartz timer. The HobbyCNC Foam Pro board does have the need quartz timer.

Adam
wyowindworks is offline Find More Posts by wyowindworks
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:13 PM
USA, MD, Joppa
Joined Jul 2003
80 Posts
Eric

CNCWorkbench now has a Yahoo Group to support the program. As of today for a limited time CNCWorkbench is freeware and can be downloaded from the file section of yahoo groups. Here is the link to the yahoo group.

http://groups.yahoo.com/i?i=7TCQD-rT...0comcast%2Enet

Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirX View Post
I am starting this thread to catalog software used on foam cut CNC machines.

Give a description of the software and the type of machine/circuit board it is used on and then a short description of how it works and how you like it.

I use Giles Muller foam cutting software on my CNC. It works well enough to make some very intricate cuts with decent acuracy. I run it on a Hobby CNC board that was hand built, driven by an old HP/AMD machine. I like the Giles Muller software but it is expensive ~$150 - 200.

I am looking into CeNeCe and CNC Workbench from Australia which I am working on ATM.

Eric B.
Sam Harbold is offline Find More Posts by Sam Harbold
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:34 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,648 Posts
Hi Sam,

I joined yesterday as Texan4000. The CNC Work Bench from the groups installed correctly and is running. Now I need to work with it a while.

Eric B.
Last edited by AirX; Jan 12, 2010 at 11:28 PM. Reason: reword
Old Jan 13, 2010, 10:10 PM
Terry Harner AREA-52
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined May 2007
593 Posts
Been using GMFC software since 2002, just upgraded to PRO....

I WILL however, check out the CNCWorkbench this weekend....

I've also considered just running standard gcode for cutting wings... definately more challenging...

Stick with the canned software....
The End is offline Find More Posts by The End
Old Jan 13, 2010, 11:18 PM
Joined Aug 2009
25 Posts
We use the free version of Sketchup in conjunction with the Phlatscript. You can design your model in Sketchup, point and click and assign your cut lines and generate g-code. Best of all, the software (including the Phlatscript) is free. We then cut foam on the Phlatprinter.
theothers is offline Find More Posts by theothers
Old Jan 14, 2010, 07:42 AM
Joined Nov 1999
13,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theothers View Post
We use the free version of Sketchup in conjunction with the Phlatscript. You can design your model in Sketchup, point and click and assign your cut lines and generate g-code. Best of all, the software (including the Phlatscript) is free. We then cut foam on the Phlatprinter.
I did not realize that phlatscript could generate a path for a 4-axis machine nor did I realize the Phlatprinter could wirecut block foam...

Actually I was looking for input on Wire Cut Foam programs.

Cheers,
Eric B.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 12:36 PM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,558 Posts
Eric,

I still haven't finished putting my 4-axis machine together, but here are two free software programs for the list.

Jedicut:
http://www.aeropassion.net/index-en.php

Stealthplaneworks (Foamcutter):
http://www.stealthplaneworks.com/FoamCutter.aspx

Jedicut has a forum and Jerome the developer posts there and occasionally here to announce an update. He does updates pretty regularly. Stealthplaneworks looks like a pretty solid program as well. There is a pretty long video showing the setup and a wing cut on the link above. Not updated as often though.

And of course there is the yahoo group CNCFoamcutters:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/CNCFoamcutters/
Which is a great source of info.

Steve
SteveC68 is online now Find More Posts by SteveC68
Old Jan 15, 2010, 02:01 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,648 Posts
Hi Steve,

Cool, thanks for bringing these up. I almost forgot about JediCut, I have tried it and it works fine. GM will cut fuselage parts pretty easily if you get keep the number of nodes on each template. I was hoping CNCWorkbench would fill in and do the same as i do know enough g-code to be dangerous... and want to learn more.
I do know that CeNeCe will do this and I am looking into it ATM, the main drawback is the selling price which has gone down a bit.
I will look into Foamcutter.

Eric B.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 10:49 AM
Trout Valley IL
Joined Mar 2007
39 Posts
I am very interested to hear if someone has been using the Foamworks software.

I am demo'ing both GMFC and Foamworks... and I am having a tough time substantiating the difference in price. GMFC Pro $215 versed Foamworks & Cadworks for $98.00
I will import DXF files from my CAD and cut both wings and fuse shapes.
The Kerf compensation is the only major difference for what I am needing but I believe I can possibly compensate with adjustments to the root dxf file????

Would love to hear from anyone with experience in this.
Flyn Hawaiian is offline Find More Posts by Flyn Hawaiian
Old Jan 17, 2010, 11:20 AM
Joined Nov 1999
13,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyn Hawaiian View Post
I am very interested to hear if someone has been using the Foamworks software.

I am demo'ing both GMFC and Foamworks... and I am having a tough time substantiating the difference in price. GMFC Pro $215 versed Foamworks & Cadworks for $98.00
I will import DXF files from my CAD and cut both wings and fuse shapes.
The Kerf compensation is the only major difference for what I am needing but I believe I can possibly compensate with adjustments to the root dxf file????

Would love to hear from anyone with experience in this.
In my blog I am making an F86D model, I used GMFC to cut the fuselage parts and wings from 1lb density foam and the stab form depron. GMFC will let you use two different templates to cut the fuselage shapes and or wing sections if you want to do some thing original.
I was not aware that Foam works was capable of this, when I looked into foamworks I thougth the program would only let you import one shape for one template and then resize it for the other template.
Someone using Foamworks will have to add thier experiences to the discussion to the thread.
I have gotten the CeNeCe software demo to try and it will allow the use of two different shapes to cut complicated parts, the drawback is the pricing is competitive with GMFC.

Eric B.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 03:16 PM
France, Auvergne, Lapalisse
Joined Dec 2005
940 Posts
cnc foam cnter profil pro2 and mach3

cnc foam cuter profil pro2 and mach3 works OK
dpot is offline Find More Posts by dpot
Old Jan 17, 2010, 09:50 PM
Trout Valley IL
Joined Mar 2007
39 Posts
Here's a sample of a fuse transition from my FoamWorks investigation:
I do not have my CNC finished at this point so this is only a S/W investigation at this point.

Name: FW_FuseTest.jpg
Views: 685
Size: 40.5 KB
Description:
Flyn Hawaiian is offline Find More Posts by Flyn Hawaiian
Old Jan 18, 2010, 01:29 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyn Hawaiian View Post
Here's a sample of a fuse transition from my FoamWorks investigation:
I do not have my CNC finished at this point so this is only a S/W investigation at this point.

Attachment 2998881
Thanks for the picture. I will wait and see what you can get as a cut. If you take time to make a few exploratory cuts please post your results.

Eric B.
Old Apr 06, 2010, 02:58 PM
Joined Apr 2010
14 Posts
TJZOIDE software

Eric,

I use a program I have developed for cutting fuselage parts and wings. The program is called TJZOIDE

I have currently released it and sell it using paypal and/or ebay. I have been in the hobby for over 30 years and always wanted to do this, and just got around to it. Now that this disclosure is out of the way, here is some information about the program.

You can make wings using basic wing information, such as wing root size , wing tip size, wingspan, sweep forward/back, wingtip leading edge warp. Fuselages are made by drawing cross sections. Basic shapes are used to draw more complex ones, squares, circles, ellipses, lines. You can import scanned cross sections from plans - jpg, bmp (some requirements for it to work right).

The program support multiple wings and fuselages in the same design so you can have booms, nacelles and separate disconnected sections.

Copy, Paste, Resize are also supported, so you can easily scale up or down a particular design, A basic 3D rendering of the model is also provided.

The software drives 4 axis, 200 step/revolution motors, 1/2 step boards, 20 threads/inch leadscrews, using step/direction/enable signals. A 5th axis can be used to control temperature - picture a 5th stepper motor turning a knob for temperature.

The program drives the parallel port directly. At this time only windows XP for driving the machine, and XP or Vista for making the design.

Here are a few youtube links to the software in action and tutorial.

Tutorial 1 of 7
tutorial 1 -r2.avi (5 min 30 sec)

Tjzoide in action, cutting a fuselage section of the x29 project - part 1
Part 1 TJZOIDE in action CNC foam hotwire CAD/CAM software (9 min 38 sec)

Part 2:
Part 2 - TJZOIDE in action CNC foam hotwire CAD/CAM software (4 min 8 sec)

Main page,

Wing making page,

Fuselage cutting, cnc page,

The X29, after paint,

F16 (ish)

Hope this is not too much clutter!
Fredy
grc159 is offline Find More Posts by grc159