HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 13, 2003, 05:43 PM
Ohio Wapak
Joined Feb 2002
3,710 Posts
Wife ticked said,"But a motor that can go on any plane"

Oh man am I in the crap house.......my wife heard I am going to buy another brushless motor and she said,"I DONT CARE HOW MUCH IT COST, JUST BUY THE BEST ONE SO YOU CAN HAVE IT ON ALL THE PLANES YOU FLY." To funny..well not at the time...well folks this looks like the last motor I will buy for awhile....I better make it good.....I fly planes that have at the most 350 motor size.....and would like one so I can go from one plane to another.....this might be to general question if so just dont reply..but I thought it was funny...
Kinda..
thor4944 is offline Find More Posts by thor4944
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2003, 06:33 PM
f5b-uk
United Kingdom, Dorset
Joined May 2002
3,053 Posts
I feel for you. There was a time when Jane would buy me a motor or what have you for birthday or christmas. After a while it is 'why do you need another', so I resigned myself to a nice wrapped shirt and a 'thank you'.

Mike
Mike Seale is offline Find More Posts by Mike Seale
Old May 13, 2003, 07:09 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,195 Posts
One motor, still the same wife!

Hi Thor,
Just a suggestion, but what about an MP Jet brushless 25/25-26 -it seems to be able to run everything from an 8x6 to an 11x5.5 reasonably efficiently and, with them, provide thrust all the way up to 18oz or so (that's @15A on 8-cells). I haven't tested it, but I'm sure it'd work fine on 7-cells (or even 6) okay. The motor and 5:1 gearbox weigh only 56g, so it is suitable for a bunch of small applications (hell, a wimpy 280+gearbox is 64g, and even a GWS Dual motor is all of 42g - and neither of these can give you more than 9oz thrust). As an added bonus, the 25/25-26 has the smoothest gearbox I've ever come across [for comparison, just try a Mini AC 1215/20 with the expensive ($45) 6:1 VMGM planetary gearbox - it feels and sounds like an egg-beater thrashing around in gravel!].

Well, that's my two (NZ) cents worth. Cheers, Phil
Dr Kiwi is online now Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old May 13, 2003, 07:31 PM
Hastings, Hawkes Bay, New Zealand (Aotearoa)
Joined Feb 2000
1,449 Posts
It might pay you to name some of the planes you have, this will help determine whether you can go down the 'One size fits all' route or not.

Dr Kiwi: Did'nt know we had a Chattanooga in NZ

Heather

www.wattsup.co.nz
Heather is offline Find More Posts by Heather
Old May 13, 2003, 08:09 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,195 Posts
Size range

Hi Heather - You are lucky, in some ways, that there IS no Chattanooga in NZ - at least in air quality. I've been here ten years now, and though the city thinks it has made some improvements to particulates, petrochemicals and ozone - the air is still disgusting compared with that in Hawkes Bay.

As far as "one size fits all" that obviously CANNOT work throughout the hobby [try a 20g indoor model, a 1/3 scale 20lb monster, an FAI Competition hot-liner, an Ikarus helicopter and a ducted fan jet!], but I reckon the MP Jet 25/25-26 will work well for a considerable range of aircraft.

I think it is well-suited to anything with a ready-to-fly weight from about 340g(12oz) all the way up to 680g (24oz) and perhaps even as far as 900g(32oz), as long as the wing-loading is kept reasonably light. Most of my planes are scratch-built, home design or from plans, in true cheap Kiwi style, so the names won't tell you anything - but I have used the 25/25-26 on planes from 312g (11oz) [36in span] to 680g(24oz) [48in span] with considerable success. If I can find a way to mount it, I might even try it on my GWS Slow Stick (normally powered by a Speed 300 equivalent) or my Radar (symmetrical section, V-tail, normally powered by a Speed 400 with a 2.3:1 Mini Olympus)!

Give my regards to HOME, Cheers, Phil
Dr Kiwi is online now Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old May 13, 2003, 11:02 PM
Addicted to Feigao...
Lakewood, CA
Joined Sep 2001
416 Posts
GO ALL OUT!

Quote:
Originally posted by thor4944
well folks this looks like the last motor I will buy for awhile....I better make it good.....
Hacker is the ONLY way to go all out (overgeneralized statement..).

For +/- 380 power go for the b20-18L w/4-1 GB. For something with a little more punch and vesatility go for the b20-15L w/4-1 GB(I've heard of ~40 something oz. of max thrust).

I'de go for the 15L. Hey, you could always underprop (who said that!?!?!)

-Kid
Kidknight is offline Find More Posts by Kidknight
Old May 14, 2003, 01:50 AM
Hastings, Hawkes Bay, New Zealand (Aotearoa)
Joined Feb 2000
1,449 Posts
I believe Doug at Mountain Models does a laser cut motor mount for the MPJET to fit the GWS stick mount. Check out the Accessories section on the ordering page.

I have the larger MPjet 25/35-20 in a big (46") slow flying aerobatic plane that I built from a free plan in a magazine, its called a lethargik. This motor runs it just fine, it would also fly on the smaller MPJet but the larger one allows me to swing a bigger prop which is more suited to the plane.

You may also want to look at the Razor motors that are in the same power range.

Heather
Heather is offline Find More Posts by Heather
Old May 15, 2003, 01:29 PM
Joined Apr 2003
346 Posts
You could ask her to wear a single pair of shoes until they wear out before buying a second pair.
Vertical is offline Find More Posts by Vertical
Old May 15, 2003, 01:37 PM
usa
Joined Mar 2003
1,018 Posts
Try this.....

Instead of being a hobbyist... tell her you are a collector. Then duck!
BING! is offline Find More Posts by BING!
Old May 15, 2003, 01:38 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
25,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Vertical
You could ask her to wear a single pair of shoes until they wear out before buying a second pair.
Then duck!

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old May 15, 2003, 03:51 PM
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Jun 2002
1,181 Posts
I`d go with a Hacker B20-15L also..light weight..high output. works well with any plane from 13oz up to about 29 oz..I have a MiniAC 1215/16 in a GWS gearbox I`ll sell you..so I can buy another Hacker :-)

Mike
mlehman is offline Find More Posts by mlehman