SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:19 PM
Joined Dec 2009
11 Posts
Question
2nd heli: Blade MSR or Walkera CB100/4#3B? (Or Blade SR?)

My 6 y.o. son has the Blade McX and I have become fairly proficient at not crashing it. ;-)

Looking for a 2nd heli that is a bit more advanced (McX traverses at pretty pedestrian speeds...)

Any major pros/cons for the helis listed??? (Links below)

I like the Blade quality, but the Walkeras seem good value.
Any comments on this would be appreciated:
* Robustness
* Availability of parts (now and for next few years)
* Ease/performance of flight

Thanks!

Blade mSR:
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLH1500

Walkeras:
http://www.targethobby.com/electric-...r-c-43_44.html

Blade SR: (Soon to be released)
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLH3000
peterg4000 is offline Find More Posts by peterg4000
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:37 PM
Joined Dec 2009
11 Posts
Oh sorry - I see this is a common question!

Still, any words of wisdom appreciated...

The Walkeras are quite a bit cheaper in Australia than an sSR (AU$169 vs AU$250), so I might let that make the decision for my next heli - No doubt there will be more once the bug has bitten hard...
Old Jan 12, 2010, 12:08 AM
USA, CO, Brighton
Joined Apr 2009
111 Posts
I can only speak for the MSR. I think that it would be a great next step heli. I was pissed at E-flite's quality in the past--I could look at my CX and it would break. The MSR however is just the opposite; much more durable. Granted it does have it flaws. Fragile tail motor wires and not the best design for the blade grips. The tail motor issue has been fixed by E-flite and the blades are easily modified to allow them to rotate during an impact. Talk to the guys at your lhs and see if they will let you demo an MSR or the other helis. Also, read the posts for a couple of days for the MSR, CB100, and the 4#3b to see what the likes and dislikes are.

Lee
LeeAW is offline Find More Posts by LeeAW
Old Jan 12, 2010, 02:05 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
Read user comments for yourself to see if you concur or if distinctions are worth the AU price difference. My impression from reading them is that MSR and CB100 are comparable in handling characteristics. Perhaps slightly favoring MSR, but also bear in mind no other singlerotor (as of today anyway) has MSR's combination of mechanical and electrical compensations.

Compensations have artifacts. Like the known characteristics of coaxes that make people want to either mod them extensively or get away from them altogether. MSR is said to express artifacts in control using the stock transmitter, which can be largely programmed away with DX-series TX, at the expense of some of the apparent stability.

TTBOMK, CB100 doesn't have such artifacts, or not the same ones anyway. It doesn't indulge the degree of E/M compensation MSR does. Likely make it a little harder to fly the first couple weeks but after that you won't miss it.

From what I read of the two (not owning either) I don't think I see $80 superiority in the MSR. Depending on your reseller, Horizon support can be substantially better than Walkera.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Jan 12, 2010, 11:48 PM
Joined Dec 2009
11 Posts
What about the Walkera 4#3B.

These are available even cheaper at AU$140.

I understand these are the pre-cursor to the CB100 and a bit less stable, etc (i.e. lacking a few recent refinements/improvements)

Does anyone think I'd be disappointed with a 4#3b instead of a CB100 or 4#6?

I think I might just blow the dough and take it as a learning experience...
Old Jan 12, 2010, 11:52 PM
Joined Dec 2009
11 Posts
By the way - Thanks LeeAW and arbilab - just the sort of info I was looking for.

- My feeling exactly that there may not be an "$80" difference - so I am swaying toward the cheaper option and if I 'need' to buy another heli by next Christmas, so be it!

The E-Flite Blade "SR" looks like a pretty good deal - coming out in Feb. But my local Australian hobby shop says it usually takes 6 months to get stock of a hot new item. Damn our down-under remoteness!
Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:27 AM
I butcher foam
Springfield, MO
Joined Jun 2008
1,559 Posts
I think Horizon support is top notch.

I have the mSR along with a honey bee FP II and 5 CPs.

The mSR has a lot of built in stability that both make it great and at the same time sort of a con.

The basic motor reflexes I learn the mSR can translate to the other birds - BUT - there's a bit of self correction occurring with the mSR that does not occur with the CPs or the HBFP.

If the CB100 has the same built in stability it should come down to this:

Do you want the good Horizon support or are you ok fixing the CB100 yourself? Reports I've read have the CB100's QC quite high and may be a non issue.

Otherwise, if you have a Spektrum tx like a DX6i, DX7, JR X9303 or etc - the mSR binds right to these.

I have a DX7 and a X9303 so I picked the mSR. It works great for me..but I enjoy my larger helis 10x fold. I think the CB100 is a great package as well..if I could I would own both.

Do you have a LHS that stocks Eflite stuff? If so that's another reason to choose the mSR.
rballz is offline Find More Posts by rballz
Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:43 AM
Joined Dec 2009
11 Posts
Own both? Sounds great!
- This is one of the reasons I am leaning cheaper... It's not likely to be my last heli, so I'll take the rough road and earn the battle scars...

Aussie Hobby Stores are pretty good with EFlite spares as far as I can tell.

The Walkera curse seems to be that they bring out new models too fast, from what I have heard (strange irony in that being a curse...)
BUT, enough people seem to own Walkeras that there will probably usually be some solution out there to a broken part problem... A lot of parts are interchangeable between different Walkeras I think???
Old Jan 13, 2010, 01:33 AM
I butcher foam
Springfield, MO
Joined Jun 2008
1,559 Posts
I hear the CB100 and 4G6 are two units Walkera put out with higher QC than the rest.

You can't go wrong with the CB100 or the mSR. Alot of it depends on what gear you have.

Don't have a tx or other EFlite 1s lipos? Probably get the CB100.

Have a Spektrum tx and maybe some mcx lipos? mSR might make more sense.

Either way they're tiny fp helis with good flight characteristics.

And there's no LAST heli..only the 'next heli'

Now if you have a LHS stocking eflite parts and have a spektrum tx..get the mSR.

Hell..dont read too much into this choice..either heli flies great for what it is..and either heli leads to a larger CP down the road...
rballz is offline Find More Posts by rballz
Old Jan 13, 2010, 05:16 PM
Joined Dec 2009
11 Posts
I don't have a serious TX yet - Just what came with RTF mCX.
- Again, waiting to learn more before spending the $$$ on that.
(The RTF kits are only $20 more than the BNF kits after all!)

This is one attraction to the Blade SR to be released in Feb - Comes with a HP6DSM, all RTF for only $199 (Retail $275 - No idea why the blade site has 2 prices) - Like only $20 more than the mSR ???

But I just noticed it is Collective Pitch (To be honest, I just found out what CP means! I was thinking Constant Pitch until I figure out what FP meant!), so maybe too hard for me to fly for a while - Though it says they have made some effort to make it more flyable than most CP helis.

P.S. It would be nice if on 'Beginners' forums acronyms were expanded at least once per thread... A lot of people completely starting out afresh could easily be put off by the plethora of acronyms in all the threads here... Feels a bit like you've got to already be in the club to know what's going on...
(But look at me using TX, RTF, BNF willy nilly!)

Thanks for all the help folks. Close to making a purchase...
Old Jan 14, 2010, 07:24 PM
I luv Doritos on a Stick!
Da swamps of La!!!
Joined Nov 2009
121 Posts
There should be a sticky on all the acronyms in the beginner section.
The SR will be for a person who has mastered a FP bird and wants to try CP heli's. If you don't have a heli yet I don't think the SR would be a good choice but hey I bought a UFly. What do I know, except I wanted what I wanted.

Good luck bro, Steven
cajun rx8 is offline Find More Posts by cajun rx8
Old Jan 14, 2010, 09:43 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
CP is collective pitch. Pitch varies with throttle stick. More manageable flyer, but 3-9 times harder to put back together when that inevitable tree jumps in front of it.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, your MCX transmitter will work a MSR. Both are 4ch Spektrum, MSR BNF is $150 US (AU, unknown). MSR is capable of moving a great deal faster than MCX. It still won't do well in wind, but in calm you can make it as challenging as you want.

Save the BSR for the next buying cycle. Or skip it altogether. By that time, you'll have a better idea which way to go.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Jan 22, 2010, 12:58 AM
Joined Dec 2009
11 Posts
Got a Walkera 4#3B

Well, I got a Walkera 4#3B for now (Cheapest non-coaxial option I could find).

I must say, I am surprised how much HARDER it is to fly than the mCX!

I didn't know there was quite such a stability difference going up from the coaxials.

I can't hover near the floor to save my life just yet, but I suppose it would be easier to hover in clear air...
But it's that much heavier than the mCX that I am loathe to get too much altitude until I can handle it a bit better...

I suppose it's time to go find the "Learning to fly an RC Heli - 101" threads again...
Old Jan 22, 2010, 01:52 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
I wish I saw your post earlier.
4#3B is squirrely. I know some people that lubed the ball links and got it better.
Mine was a dissapointment.
I flew the MSR in the hobby shop and it was WAY better.
I know the CB100 is more stable but some say the lesser agility bores them.

I fly the coax more than the 4#3B indoors.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Jan 22, 2010, 08:18 PM
I luv Doritos on a Stick!
Da swamps of La!!!
Joined Nov 2009
121 Posts
Got to get it off the floor a foot or more to get out of prop wash, otherwise you will never hover.
cajun rx8 is offline Find More Posts by cajun rx8