Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 11, 2010, 05:28 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
Cool
Lets see those micro/nano scale paint job pics/videos

Seeing we have a thread like this in the other sections I thought it would be nice to have one here. Feel free to post post scale pics or vids. Fuselage paint jobs, scale mods for everything as small as the Blade MSR through the 300 size helis such as the Blade Cpp /Honeybee CP2-V3/AXE CP I'll start it off with some scale paint jobs Ive done for some of my smaller helis such as the Walkera 4G3s
These were to mimic full size paint jobs on real helis
darthdrk is offline Find More Posts by darthdrk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2010, 07:01 PM
United States, MA, Lowell
Joined Dec 2008
536 Posts
I have a question for you .
How big are these helos ?
I am looking for the real small ones to land on the back of my scale ships
Paul
Homeport is offline Find More Posts by Homeport
Old Jan 11, 2010, 07:21 PM
Platinum Ball3r
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Oct 2009
598 Posts
blade mcx eflite very small smaller than a micro t or as big as my hand
custom t is offline Find More Posts by custom t
Old Jan 11, 2010, 09:30 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
The Ones I posted are:
MD500 about 10 Inches long, 3 1/2 inches from bottom of skids to top cowling. Its for the Walkera 4G3/4G6, Novus CP size RC Helis
Bell222 about 12" long, 3 1/8" from bottom of wheeled landing gear (Not installed yet) to the top cowling. For the same RC Helis as mentioned for the MD500.

There are some even smaller ones for the Walkera 4#3/CB-100 size RC Helis which I will post later
I havent figured what scale ratio they are
Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:00 PM
Joined Jan 2009
152 Posts
First of all, your paint jobs look very nice, great job!

Secondly, and this is probably off topic, but hereís what Iíve been slowly developing. As you can see, itís not actually a scale canopy or fuselage. Itís just an idea I have floating around in my head. Eventually, I want the body to flow all the way back to the tail rotor.

Itís made out of poster board, which is a bit heavy. But drawing it on paper, and seeing it on the ďslightly modifiedĒ little 4#3b gives me a much better idea of what itís going to look like in real life.

Anyway, I have a question or two. Are you making these fuselages yourself? (Vacuum forming)? If so, what material are you using? (PetG/ Styrene, or other)? Iíve been ďtryingĒ to learn how to do it myself, but donít really know what Iím doing! Yet!

I tried really thing styrene, (very light weight), but it was way to brittle. Maybe to thing? Oven too hot? I know thereís a thread on vacuum forming, but I canít seem to find it!

Sorry for the off topic post!

Mike
starz is offline Find More Posts by starz
Old Jan 12, 2010, 09:25 AM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
Ive been vac forming now for about 8 years, its more like an art. A lot of trial and error. Yes you can over cook your material and that will make it brittle and you can also under cook it too which will not draw down on the molds good. It does matter the distance from the heating element your material is. With the size material you use, you have to find that sweet spot. Ive switched heating source and elements and I had to readjust. Once you get familiar with your equipment whether it is home made or commercially produce you will find that which works best for you by practicing. I use as my materials mainly HIPS (High Impact Polystyrene) and Clear PETG. Im working with thicknesses between .010 through .040 .
Old Jan 12, 2010, 09:41 AM
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
Joined Mar 2003
883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeport View Post
I have a question for you .
How big are these helos ?
I am looking for the real small ones to land on the back of my scale ships
Paul
Unless your scale ships are the size of a large dinner table, you most likely won't be able to land one of these helis on the helipad of your ship. Even the co axial (the ones with two pairs of blades) are fairly tricky to land on a mug coaster because they are light and greatly affect by rotor wash. Most likely you will smack into your ship and break stuff. But that is an awesome idea though!
Samay is offline Find More Posts by Samay
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:16 AM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
To give you a better Idea, the rotor span on the 4G3 is 12" diameter
The rotor span on the 4#3b is 8" diameter
I do think these would look killer on a heli pad on a large RC ship.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 11:13 AM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
The Wolves

Heres a couple of G3/G6 Novus Cp airwolves
Old Jan 12, 2010, 11:58 AM
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
Joined Mar 2003
883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthdrk View Post
Heres a couple of G3/G6 Novus Cp airwolves
Now that'll look killer on a rc ship, it'll have to be pretty big!
Samay is offline Find More Posts by Samay
Old Jan 14, 2010, 10:48 AM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
Hey guys/gals. Im getting some feedback from people who have mounted the blade MSR in my 4#3 airwolf size airwolf and everyone so far says it work. I dont know because I do not have a MSR heres a recent pic sent to me. Individual says he has the battery tray looking like the rocket pods on the airwolf.
Also flown by Our esteemed Hoverup: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1152854
Old Feb 01, 2010, 04:35 PM
Oslo, Norway
Joined Jan 2009
103 Posts
My E-sky Lama V3

Nice thread! And nice fuselages. I fell for this swiss Lama

Jan Erik
Jan Erik is offline Find More Posts by Jan Erik
Old Feb 02, 2010, 06:34 AM
Oslo, Norway
Joined Jan 2009
103 Posts
Lie Bao 3ch airwolf

It flies terribly, but this tiny Airwolf fuse was worth a little paint job. One of the helicopter schools in my country uses this Air Alpha Bell 222 so I thought it was a good choice...
Made new rear landing gear from a piece of plastic, since the original ones broke.

Jan Erik
Old Feb 02, 2010, 08:58 AM
Lifetime Member
Providence, RI, USA
Joined Dec 1996
2,602 Posts
Ok, I won't miss a chance to post more pictures of my Blade CP Pro2 MD500D scale micros.

The military version was customed built and painted by "darthdrk" himself.
video link: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1039856
thread link: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post12108151

The yellow one was painted by me.

John
JohnM is online now Find More Posts by JohnM
Old Feb 08, 2010, 06:13 AM
Oslo, Norway
Joined Jan 2009
103 Posts
Those MD500s are so cool. I found another model, the EC145, which serves my local hospital. Using Mr. Ishigawas excellent paper model drawing of a BK117, I made this for my mSR. and yes,it's a paint job because its made with Microsoft Paint!
It flies ok, but no stickbanging please because the turbine housing is too close to the flybar. It would fit perfectly on a mCX i think.