Mel
Mel Harley is offline Find More Posts by Mel Harley
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2010, 07:15 PM
Prop Buster Extraordinaire
Seattle
Joined Aug 2009
1,201 Posts
use water based paints. acrylics work quite well. I prime with a water based varnish - polyurethane or polycrylic. foam safe.

You can find some foam safe paint in spray (aka "rattle") cans. or, you can use a brush but it will leave brush marks. The best way is with an airbrush which is surprisingly more affordable than you might think, especially if you have a source of compressed air.

You might also use something called "lightweight spackle" to fill any holes or rough spots. It's sold at home imprevement stores and is used for patching walls. You can tell if it's LWS by picking it up. If the jar feels empty, that's it. foam safe.
philba is offline Find More Posts by philba
Old Jan 12, 2010, 04:11 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philba View Post
use water based paints. acrylics work quite well. I prime with a water based varnish - polyurethane or polycrylic. foam safe.

You can find some foam safe paint in spray (aka "rattle") cans. or, you can use a brush but it will leave brush marks. The best way is with an airbrush which is surprisingly more affordable than you might think, especially if you have a source of compressed air.

You might also use something called "lightweight spackle" to fill any holes or rough spots. It's sold at home imprevement stores and is used for patching walls. You can tell if it's LWS by picking it up. If the jar feels empty, that's it. foam safe.
Thanks Phil
If they have that stuff this side of the pond. Probably been banned by the EU ??????
Best wishes
Mel
Mel Harley is offline Find More Posts by Mel Harley
Old Jan 12, 2010, 05:10 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,500 Posts
After cleaning down a repaired ez i used jiffy pressure pack enamel and its held up pretty darn good.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Jan 12, 2010, 11:40 AM
Prop Buster Extraordinaire
Seattle
Joined Aug 2009
1,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Harley View Post
Thanks Phil
If they have that stuff this side of the pond. Probably been banned by the EU ??????
Best wishes
Mel
I'm pretty sure water based acrylics are available in the EU. Don't know about the spackle but it's not toxic. In fact all those products are pretty safe.
philba is offline Find More Posts by philba
Old Jan 17, 2010, 06:50 PM
Joined Dec 2009
538 Posts
elapor painting

for what its worth you can paint Elapor with pretty much any automotive paint elapor is appx 90% epp and 10% styrene, so its pretty good around solvents, I regulary paint mine with automotive spray cans, just use several light coats to avoid runs and you should be fine . Or you can start using iron on covering, low to medium temp films work great, look good and it can then be sealed around the edges with thinned goop, or even straight goop if you spread it around with your fingers,
cgoffa is offline Find More Posts by cgoffa
Old Jan 25, 2010, 04:14 AM
Joined Jun 2006
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Harley View Post
Thanks Phil
Best wishes
Mel
It's easier to find Acrylic or waterbased paints in Europe than Oil based. Most of the DIY shops now a days sell more environmental proof / green products.
Don't know where your from but try Hornbach.
Easterbunny is offline Find More Posts by Easterbunny