HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by mcg, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 04:40 AM
7up
,ɯǝ ʇoƃ ɐʎ ɟı ,ɯǝ ǝʞoɯs
USA, KY, West Liberty
Joined Jun 2001
1,144 Posts
Sketchup
7up is offline Find More Posts by 7up
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2010, 01:18 PM
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
1,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raceachevy View Post
Here are a few of my past projects in Lightwave v9.5.. more to come from Solidworks and Rhino..
Very nice. So specific to your aircraft modeling efforts, why Lighwave over SW & Rhino? (you obviously have ALL the tool goodies ). Sorry I dont know anything about LW but am somewhat familiar with the other two. Does LW lend itself better/faster for 'big picture' conceptualization & styling? Can it export into anything that a cnc/prototyping machine could understand? (Im thinking sooner or later the enginnering types are going to want access to those renderings in some format).
ptxman is offline Find More Posts by ptxman
Old Mar 02, 2010, 04:01 PM
RC Addict
Orlando, Florida
Joined Jan 2003
603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptxman View Post
Very nice. So specific to your aircraft modeling efforts, why Lighwave over SW & Rhino? (you obviously have ALL the tool goodies ). Sorry I dont know anything about LW but am somewhat familiar with the other two. Does LW lend itself better/faster for 'big picture' conceptualization & styling? Can it export into anything that a cnc/prototyping machine could understand? (Im thinking sooner or later the enginnering types are going to want access to those renderings in some format).
I use lightwave to do concept sketches and quick 3D visualizations. I also use it to make quick 3D representations of 2D paint scheme designs for aircraft, which is what 3 out of the 4 renderings I posted were. For me, it serves a completely seperate use than that of using Solidworks or Rhino. You can use lightwave to make StereoLithography models, but I haven't tried that.

I do generally use the models created in Lightwave as a plan when i'm starting my Solidworks models, but that's where the connection ends. Solidworks is my prefered package of choice, and i use it mainly to do indutrial and mechanical design type stuff, with the ability to do some quick FEA on structures. I've worked with Catia, Solidworks, UG NX6, Pro-E, AutoCAD, and a few other CAD packages, and Solidworks seems to fit me the best for the projects that I work on.

I've used Rhino for 2 Projects, and it feels like a more advanced 3D version of AutoCAD. It works great for doing surfacing, and allows a lot more freedom in freeform surfacing than Solidworks does, but i wouldn't try to replace Solidworks with Rhino for any of my big projects.

If i get clearance, i'll try to post more of my projects to give a better idea of what's been done.
raceachevy is offline Find More Posts by raceachevy
Old Mar 02, 2010, 04:53 PM
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
1,827 Posts
Quote:
I've used Rhino for 2 Projects, and it feels like a more advanced 3D version of AutoCAD. It works great for doing surfacing, and allows a lot more freedom in freeform surfacing than Solidworks does, but i wouldn't try to replace Solidworks with Rhino for any of my big projects.
Great info thanks. So as not to hog up ‘showcase’ space, I for one would be very interested in any Rhino > SW workflow examples & experiences in a separate post if you ever care to throw something together. I’m just at the getting-to-know-you stage of SW-2010, so far blown away by the power. But that’s been confined to mostly ‘mechanical’ type components & simple assemblies. I have this feeling when I work my up to freeform surfacing again, I’ll be comparing it to how I did things in Rhino. Are you using T-splines plugin with Rhino, or just standalone?
Old Mar 02, 2010, 05:13 PM
RC Addict
Orlando, Florida
Joined Jan 2003
603 Posts
Quote:
Great info thanks. So as not to hog up ‘showcase’ space, I for one would be very interested in any Rhino > SW workflow examples & experiences in a separate post if you ever care to throw something together. I’m just at the getting-to-know-you stage of SW-2010, so far blown away by the power. But that’s been confined to mostly ‘mechanical’ type components & simple assemblies. I have this feeling when I work my up to freeform surfacing again, I’ll be comparing it to how I did things in Rhino. Are you using T-splines plugin with Rhino, or just standalone?
Here is one project i did with Rhino(standalone), and a render of it in Lightwave. The tooling is still at the 5-Axis shop, so no final pictures of the real thing yet.
Last edited by raceachevy; Mar 02, 2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2010, 05:26 PM
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
1,827 Posts
Quote:
Here is one project i did with Rhino(standalone), and a render of it in Lightwave. The tooling is still at the 5-Axis shop, so no final pictures of the real thing yet.
Cool.
Strange looking 'cockpit' though... normally the navigator & copilot chairs are not opposed like that... and with water jet orfices!...
Old Mar 02, 2010, 05:47 PM
RC Addict
Orlando, Florida
Joined Jan 2003
603 Posts
Quote:
Cool.
Strange looking 'cockpit' though... normally the navigator & copilot chairs are not opposed like that... and with water jet orfices!...
Here's an instrument panel.. a jpeg captured from Solidworks, the plug after it came off of the 5-Axis, and the final parts installed in the plane.
Old Mar 03, 2010, 01:17 AM
Stranger in a land
Hawaii
Joined Dec 2007
571 Posts
That's some deadsexy work right there. Thanks for sharing!

Carl
Haole is offline Find More Posts by Haole
Old Mar 03, 2010, 04:23 AM
MB-Commander
Joined Feb 2008
2,338 Posts
Quote:
Here's an instrument panel.. a jpeg captured from Solidworks, the plug after it came off of the 5-Axis, and the final parts installed in the plane.
Wow, impressive. You live in Orlando too, do you know if there is a place where I could have my model cut in wood or foam?

G.
Minibichus is offline Find More Posts by Minibichus
Old Mar 03, 2010, 03:20 PM
RC Addict
Orlando, Florida
Joined Jan 2003
603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minibichus View Post
Wow, impressive. You live in Orlando too, do you know if there is a place where I could have my model cut in wood or foam?

G.
I work closely with a shop out in Merritt Island named Composite Technologies. They have a 10'x20'x6' DMS 5-axis router, and a 8'x8' Motion Master. They also have a laser scanner to scan in hand fabricated parts. They will cut in wood or foam. I'm working on getting a website set up for them now which will showcase their capabilities and their equipment.

-James
Old Mar 03, 2010, 05:09 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,687 Posts
Assuming we are still an aeromodelling group..

Knurling on the prop driver took ages to find a way...
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Mar 05, 2010, 10:00 PM
Sink stinks
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2005
4,475 Posts
Here is one of my designs. This was actually done mostly in TurboCAD but then the wing was redone and I switched over to Rhino. It's nothing fancy, but it sure flies nice.
Montag DP is offline Find More Posts by Montag DP
Old Mar 19, 2010, 06:16 PM
Joined Jan 2005
1,286 Posts
Mr Mulligan. The original is a rubber-powered SIG kit with some 20" wing-span. Drawn in Alibre Design.

Jochen
JochenK is offline Find More Posts by JochenK
Old Mar 20, 2010, 04:12 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,687 Posts
I like that Jochen. VERY much. You should kit that and sell it.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Mar 20, 2010, 12:15 PM
Joined Jan 2005
1,286 Posts
Vintage,

I thought this was an old kit, but I just saw that they are still selling it for something like $10. SIG Kit FF-23. With the tiny 2.4 GHz equipment out now she may even fly radio controlled.

Jochen
JochenK is offline Find More Posts by JochenK