HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by mcg, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 08:20 PM
Joined May 2006
118 Posts
Here is a conceptual project, never actually made but interesting I think.
The landing gear retract system was animated, which is a great way to check out for clearance, etc.

allanflowers is offline Find More Posts by allanflowers
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2010, 12:07 PM
MB-Commander
Joined Feb 2008
2,478 Posts
Kudos man, that looks great! Maps look really good. I am trying to get this thing built in fiber glass as well.

G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanflowers View Post
Minibichus, that last rendering is really nice.
Here are some pix of a Fokker E.V project I did back in 1999 and 2000 for a kit. I made and sold about 30 of these. It was designed on Alias/Wavefront although I had to use Photoshop, Illustrator and Pagemaker for the "skins" and the build manual, which was totally with cad images. The model was available in five different trim schemes.
Minibichus is offline Find More Posts by Minibichus
Old Feb 12, 2010, 08:09 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
Going old school. Disassembly revealed 30 year old castor oil the consistency of paste.
Karl Bē is offline Find More Posts by Karl Bē
Last edited by Karl Bē; Feb 12, 2010 at 08:16 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 02:02 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,689 Posts
Instrument panels..ah yes..
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Feb 13, 2010, 03:19 AM
MB-Commander
Joined Feb 2008
2,478 Posts
I am getting more accustomed to MAX 9 so I rendered the heli with one of my favorite older models I made a looong time ago. A 1250 poly Blue Thunder right next to a 60K poly TOW Defender.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 01:38 PM
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
1,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minibichus View Post
... accustomed to MAX 9 so I rendered the heli .
Cool. Ive always wondered how are those nice natural surfaces done (grass, pavement, trees..). Are they actually 3d textures that get imported (or created?). Or more like shaded/colored 2d bacgrounds taht give that realistic illusion.
ptxman is offline Find More Posts by ptxman
Old Feb 14, 2010, 02:41 AM
MB-Commander
Joined Feb 2008
2,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptxman View Post
Cool. Ive always wondered how are those nice natural surfaces done (grass, pavement, trees..). Are they actually 3d textures that get imported (or created?). Or more like shaded/colored 2d bacgrounds taht give that realistic illusion.
In this particular rendering, the terrain is a gigantic 2D texture, 5532 x 5532 pixels in size, which has enough resolution to hold up close with the helicopter. To give you an idea, in this other render of the Hughes I replaced the texture grass with real grass so you see how much better it looks (at the expense of 5 extra more minutes for rendering the frame...)

G.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 06:16 AM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
Using the realistic grass may give the BG scenery a realistic look but perhaps you shoud increase the Polycount ( some seams are still texelated - e.g. the cackpitframe) of the main object. Not to be missunderstood - the object looks great, but with a little bit of simplification of the background the pictures style may look more uniform!

That is why I prefere comic or sketch shaders - My lightning engine is not that performant. so I always have to cheat a lot - no modern technologies ( theC4D revision is just about 8 to 10 years old) ... just have to do everything on my own....
Harpye is offline Find More Posts by Harpye
Old Feb 14, 2010, 11:07 PM
United States, OH, Cuyahoga Falls
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minibichus View Post
In this particular rendering, the terrain is a gigantic 2D texture, 5532 x 5532 pixels in size, which has enough resolution to hold up close with the helicopter.

G.
Looks good with either one to me, very nice... did you have to buy those jumbo size texture maps or were they freebies?

A few recent solid-modeled Warbirds, nothing special, just the basics, and just for fun.

Dean
roscoedude is offline Find More Posts by roscoedude
Old Feb 15, 2010, 02:54 AM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
Some models shown somewere before - nothing special

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=2844729

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=2844745

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=2844747

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=2884695

Yes ... regarding the background and the scenery I also could do better
Last edited by Harpye; Feb 15, 2010 at 02:59 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 01:15 AM
MB-Commander
Joined Feb 2008
2,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpye View Post
Using the realistic grass may give the BG scenery a realistic look but perhaps you shoud increase the Polycount ( some seams are still texelated - e.g. the cackpitframe) of the main object. Not to be missunderstood - the object looks great, but with a little bit of simplification of the background the pictures style may look more uniform!

That is why I prefere comic or sketch shaders - My lightning engine is not that performant. so I always have to cheat a lot - no modern technologies ( theC4D revision is just about 8 to 10 years old) ... just have to do everything on my own....
I agree, model is not very high poly at all. I used to make models for game engines so I originally started this one as a low poly model as well, with the intention to become a mold. I started adding details more and more and I haven't really got around the windshield, which will be fixed soon... I've been out of commission (flu) for a couple of days but today I was able to get back and finished the rough details of the interior, along with some advice provided on this board, thanks.

Here is how it sits right now.

I'll add more details to the interior in the coming days, like cables, the upper panel board, the interior windshield frames.

Cheers.

G.
Last edited by Minibichus; Feb 16, 2010 at 01:47 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 01:24 AM
MB-Commander
Joined Feb 2008
2,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoedude View Post
Looks good with either one to me, very nice... did you have to buy those jumbo size texture maps or were they freebies?

A few recent solid-modeled Warbirds, nothing special, just the basics, and just for fun.

Dean
freebie. did a goggle image search for terrain texture and size > than 8MP I think... that was one I liked.

Wow, your renderings look great! I like the grass you've made!

G.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 12:07 PM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
Grass or no grass! I like your model (do you know the Military Meshes forum - check it out .. those guys are really nuts regarding the applied details )
Old Feb 19, 2010, 04:50 AM
MB-Commander
Joined Feb 2008
2,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpye View Post
Grass or no grass! I like your model (do you know the Military Meshes forum - check it out .. those guys are really nuts regarding the applied details )
Took some people's advice here and reworked the canopy to use much higher resolution, and reshaped it based on better blueprints I got from a friend. (someone here pointed the shape of the canopy was a bit off, well, turns off he was right!, thanks!) Interior is mostly in, just need to start adding details. Canopy frame still needs texturing but the shape is there. I'll probably make a new front FLIR pod to match the new frame but not yet.

G.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 10:42 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,689 Posts
work in progress

..but looking good.

Damned Rhino wont make2d though. Too many complex curves in the linkages
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1