SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 17, 2010, 11:13 AM
United States, WA, Port Townsend
Joined Mar 2005
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Reynolds View Post
Hughes Missiles started with CADAM (Lochkheed/IBM developed), then went with CADRA, then to PRO-E. CADAM started as main frame and was phased out when IBM didn't want to support it any more. CADRA came in as a less capable main frame and then migrated to a very capable intelligent data base network system. PRO-E (solids) is used as an intelligent data base capabable of producing plastic engineering models. It uses a drop off system to produce usable 2D data packages. Fun to manipulate and see the 3D object.

CADRA is my program of choice. Had it for over 20 years playing with missile designs and now have it at home. No typing required to produce objects, just select and click.
Bob,

I was one of the first students in CADAM, for what was to become Hughes Missile Systems (now Raytheon), back when it was still General Dynamics in Pomona. Very good 2D system with some limited 3D wireframe.

Since, I've used Unigraphics, CATIA V4 & V5, been exposed to Pro-E and Autocad.

For doing work such as sailplane wing structure calcs, I'd really like Catia V4 as a min, although, some of the freestanding airfoil programs may be able to generate section properties.

Just need something affordable for a Windows platform.
raceskier is offline Find More Posts by raceskier
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:50 AM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,483 Posts
Wow! Anybody still using ModelCad? I was spoiled at work when just had to hand sketch design ideas for our draftsmen/designers to execute in AutoCad or Catia. Bought a ModelCAD package for home use many moons ago & been proficient on it after retirement. How much learning do I need to upgrade to AutoCad or other pkg this forum comes up with?

Phil
PhilLin is offline Find More Posts by PhilLin
Old Jan 18, 2010, 12:46 PM
USA, MA, Weymouth
Joined Mar 2004
1,114 Posts
IF you've used ModelCAD, you're ALL SET for DesignCAD...!

Dear PhilLin:

The PIPE here again...

...and, IF you've used ModelCAD in the past, you SHOULD be all set to "step up" to using DesignCAD...!

The latest version I'd recommend of it is DesignCAD 3DMax v.17.2, available for as low as $30 before postage, at http://www.amazon.com/IMSI-00D3MX17C.../dp/B000HLT5IU ...!

ModelCAD is basically a "sub-set" of the DesignCAD 2D program that Upperspace used to publish...now that IMSI (the TurboCAD people) publishes DC (my abbreviation for "DesignCAD"), you should be able to bring in your ModelCAD drawings into the v.17.2 edition of DC with no problems...!

I was using DC 3DMax v.17.2, this MLK Day morning, to start to draft up an "uprated" version of Gordon Whitehead's small, 42" wingspan Bücker Jungmeister (at http://www.rcmplans.com/index.php?ma...oducts_id=1670 for your reference) that I'm planning on powering with a Saito .30 or .40 four stroke, for "sparklingly small" aerobatic performance. I built one from the original RCM plans almost 30 years ago, for HB.25 two stroke power, and now that great design's getting a Carl Goldberg Falcon 56 airfoil (with the chord reduced to 6 inches, and suitably scaled down, ALL thanks to the magic of DesignCAD) and a MUCH closer-to-scale-accuracy 5/32nd inch (4 mm) OD fiberglass tubing fuselage structure, thanks to the NINE PAGES of great photos that can be found at http://www.buecker-museum.de/modellb...l01/133_01.htm ...!

Think about getting DC 3DMax v.17.2 at that bargain price...

...best of luck in trying it!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
The PIPE is offline Find More Posts by The PIPE
Old Jan 18, 2010, 06:52 PM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,483 Posts
Thx very much for your detailed response, The Pipe! I'll check out DC 3D.

Phil
PhilLin is offline Find More Posts by PhilLin
Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:25 AM
http://wolfcreekrcpark.com/
Narrows, Virginia
Joined Jun 2009
72 Posts
Microstation. I used it a long time ago. It's big in the DOT world. I know they've tried to stay competative with Autodesk but I'm not sure where there at with regards to comparable products to Inventor.

Also, may want to update AutoCAD 2000-2009 to 2010. 2011 will be released in April most likely.
drw-fj40 is offline Find More Posts by drw-fj40
Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:33 AM
http://wolfcreekrcpark.com/
Narrows, Virginia
Joined Jun 2009
72 Posts
Oops, missed the second page where the pole has been created oh well.

BTW, not that it matters now but a good way to organized AutoCAD versions is by file format. they change it every three years and name it after the first year. Example 2004 format works for '04, '05 & '06, 2007 format works for '07, '08 & '09. The current release is 2010 which, if history repeats, should be the standard format through the 2012 release.
drw-fj40 is offline Find More Posts by drw-fj40
Old Jan 22, 2010, 03:05 PM
The Junk Man
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Jul 2006
1,672 Posts
Quote:
List of every CAD program you have ever tried....
Why?

Tom
T_om is offline Find More Posts by T_om
Old Jan 22, 2010, 06:01 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
Why ask why? Well, if you must ask, then I can only offer you one outcome other then seeing the many cads I never knew exsisted. From the poll created from this info, there is a pretty clear trend. One that I did not know. The most used cad software seem to be autocad, rhino, sketchup and solid works ( in about equal proportions).

-Kwok
Kwok_Yu is offline Find More Posts by Kwok_Yu