Dave
imsofaman is offline Find More Posts by imsofaman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2010, 02:14 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,715 Posts
Using autocad 2007 and have played a little with google sketchup as well as rhino
CapMike is offline Find More Posts by CapMike
Old Jan 12, 2010, 02:35 PM
United States, OH, Cuyahoga Falls
Joined Oct 2006
788 Posts
Learned CAD on Unigraphics V13, and used it til version 18, also SolidWorks '97 through '08, CoCreate Personal edition, FSDS, BobCAD, some Inventor, SurfCAM, MasterCAM, and a few other assorted CAD/CAM programs.

Dean
roscoedude is offline Find More Posts by roscoedude
Old Jan 12, 2010, 04:18 PM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Verenigd Koninkrijk, Fareham
Joined Aug 2008
7,097 Posts
Autocad 14, Solidworks 2001, Rhino 4.

jjmouris is online now Find More Posts by jjmouris
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My F5B saw tooth props
Old Jan 12, 2010, 07:16 PM
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
1,831 Posts
Generic Cad (2D, anybody alive still remember PC-XT's & DOS?)

Autocad v14 (2D stuff)

Rhino v4 (3D stuff, great program, very happy with it, some designs found their way to cnc machines)

T-splines for Rhino (just got it, ask me in a month)

SW-2010 (venturing in toe-deep with how-to tutorial CD. So far Im impressed. Would be for the mechanical gadgetry aspect of my life).
ptxman is offline Find More Posts by ptxman
Old Jan 12, 2010, 09:32 PM
Watts is life...
Bot's like to know where you live
Joined Sep 2003
2,859 Posts
DesignCAD and TurboCAD....

IN the end you use what you are productive in...

Bob
rcjetpilot is offline Find More Posts by rcjetpilot
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:30 PM
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,089 Posts
Hughes Missiles started with CADAM (Lochkheed/IBM developed), then went with CADRA, then to PRO-E. CADAM started as main frame and was phased out when IBM didn't want to support it any more. CADRA came in as a less capable main frame and then migrated to a very capable intelligent data base network system. PRO-E (solids) is used as an intelligent data base capabable of producing plastic engineering models. It uses a drop off system to produce usable 2D data packages. Fun to manipulate and see the 3D object.

CADRA is my program of choice. Had it for over 20 years playing with missile designs and now have it at home. No typing required to produce objects, just select and click.
Bob Reynolds is offline Find More Posts by Bob Reynolds
Old Jan 13, 2010, 08:14 AM
USA, MA, Weymouth
Joined Mar 2004
1,087 Posts
Here's my "CAD software environment experience" listing....

Dear Fellow RC Flyin' CAD Lovers:

The PIPE here...it's GREAT to see a CAD-dedicated forum on RCGroups, AT LONG LAST!

So far, here's the list of CAD software I've had a chance to use (at least a LITTLE bit), past AND present...and please remember, I've been OUT of work (UNemployed!) since mid-September 2008...

From Autodesk:

AutoCAD v.10 (DOS)
AutoCAD v.12 (DOS & Windows)
AutoCAD v.13 (Windows)
AutoCAD v.14 (Windows)
AutoCAD 2009 LT (Windows XP, on my home PC RIGHT NOW, mostly for practice TO GET BACK TO WORK!!!!)

From American Small Business Computers, then Upperspace, and nowadays from IMSI:

DesignCAD 2-D for DOS
DesignCAD 3-D for DOS
DesignCAD 2-D for Windows
DesignCAD 97 for Windows

DesignCAD 3000 (Win98 and XP, my MAIN [and favorite] home PC drafting environment, and on my PC RIGHT NOW)
DesignCAD 3DMax v.17 (WinXP, on my home PC RIGHT NOW, getting slowly used to it)

From "other vendors"...

CADKEY for DOS (not good at all, worked like a kludgy mainframe CAD software package...its "sized drawings" [B, C, D & E-sized] borders ARE fairly good, however, AND are in DXF format on my hard disk to this day)
CADRA for Windows (too much like CADKEY [again, think "MAINFRAME style CAD" from the 1970s] for any usefulness whatsoever for my needs)
PADS-PCB for DOS (dedicated PC board design environment, VERY decent for its intended use)
EagleCAD (like PADS, for PC boards)

I'm just HOPING to get back to work, doing CAD drawings for someone before too much longer...!!

Thanks and Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
The PIPE is offline Find More Posts by The PIPE
Last edited by The PIPE; Jan 13, 2010 at 08:20 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 03:36 PM
United States, UT, Marysvale
Joined Aug 2004
1,113 Posts
AutoCAD 14- 2000, Solid Works 03-08, SurfCAM 08, Teksoft. I'm also un-emplyed since Feb 08. Hopefully, work will start comming back around for us. Right now at home I use Auto CAD 14 for 2d & 3d restoration of some old model plans I find on the WEB. I love drawing in CAD.
~Vrated
Vrated is offline Find More Posts by Vrated
Old Jan 13, 2010, 03:38 PM
mcg
Joined Jul 2005
699 Posts
Last call -- let's turn this into a poll

Please take a look at the list in post #1 of this thread. I would like to use this list as the basis for a poll. The poll will probably be a "vote once" kind of thing, so the idea would be to vote for the software you are actually using now for CAD design work -- not production.

For example, I use Rhino for design, but sometimes drop the product into AutoCAD for production. Rhino gets the vote.

Similarly, we have all threaded our way along and used this and that. I started with DesignCAD, then tried TurboCAD, AutoCAD and finally Rhino. I will just vote for Rhino, since it is what I use to design models right now.

One question I have is -- what to do about AutoCAD and Solidworks and DesignCAD, where there are multiple releases, sometimes one per year. To compress these listings for the Poll, I was thinking maybe "Early AutoCAD" vs "recent AutoCAD" or arbitrarily "Pre 2005 AutoCAD" And something similar for Solidworks and DesignCAD. It would be most meaningful if there some some technical watershed year for these.

When we get the results of the Poll we can fill in the key details about price, a link to the manufacturer, etc.

We can run a distinct listing and then poll for CAM and CNC software useful to modelers.

Michael
mcg is offline Find More Posts by mcg
Last edited by mcg; Jan 13, 2010 at 03:55 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 04:34 PM
Build it again, Sam!
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
4,091 Posts
Every CAD...

Technical:

Generics Cad (social services)
Turbo Cad ( Education)
Fast Cad (Education)
Becker Cad ( now )
Becker Cad Pro ( now)
Euclid ( studies)
Rhino ( now)
Pro E (some practice long time ago)
Autocad ( studies)
Rhino ( now)

Illustrative

3ds ( studies)
Max ( studies)
Povray (Long time ago)
Moray ( Long time ago)
Truespace ( a bit)
PSH ( studies)
PSE7 ( Now)
Corel Draw (Now )
Corel Paint (Now )
Corel Painter (Now )
Art Rage (Now )
The Gimp (Before PSE )
C4D( Now)

Just some ... but mostly Rhino
Harpye is offline Find More Posts by Harpye
Old Jan 14, 2010, 08:59 AM
mcg
Joined Jul 2005
699 Posts
Ok, the listing on this thread has now been turned into a Poll. You can now tick a checkbox next to the CAD software you are using today.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 11:01 AM
Joined May 2008
2 Posts
With my job I use or used all this cad...and a couple of cam for 5 and 6 axis mills.

Autocad LT,
Rhinoceros,
Solid Works,
CATIA,
UNIGRAPHIX NX5,
PRO E
CIMATRON E

but to make rc model i find that useful are Rhino and SolidWorks.....only now I'm trying Sketchup.....and it's not so bad....
ANDYCOSER is offline Find More Posts by ANDYCOSER
Old Jan 14, 2010, 11:11 AM
mcg
Joined Jul 2005
699 Posts
The next step is to turn this list into a tabulation of numbers showing which CAD programs are preferred by model designers. A poll has just been set up for this purpose.

So in lieu of adding to this listing, please vote your preferences in the poll, here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1175257

You can vote for more than one package, but please vote only for those packages you are actually using currently, today, for model design.

Many thanks,

Michael
Last edited by mcg; Jan 14, 2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 01:10 PM
USA, MA, Weymouth
Joined Mar 2004
1,087 Posts
A WHOOPS I spotted on that poll's listing...

Dear Fellow CAD-Usin' RC Fans:

The PIPE Here again...I spotted a bit of a WHOOPS on the listings for the CAD programs being "polled for" in the other mentioned thread...

...as it placed DesignCAD 3000 (usually abbreviated as "DC3K") and DesignCAD 3DMax v.17, which are SEPARATE software packages, on the VERY SAME line...

I DO have both of those packages on my PC at present, as I get myself slowly used to using the later DC v.17...but I'm still using DC3K, and since those ARE separate software packages, I'm HOPING that someone gets the two of them placed ON separate lines, please !

Thanks in advance and Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE...
The PIPE is offline Find More Posts by The PIPE