|View Poll Results: Jan. 16 kick off meeting|
|Jan. 16 kick off meeting||0||0%|
|Jan. 23 kick off meeting||0||0%|
|Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll|
Making Weber State Davis an official AMA flying site?
Hey flying friends, as you all know I live in the neighborhood that is south of the Weber State University, Davis campus. Two events yesterday triggered me to write this post:
(1. I was on a walk with the wife yesterday and I was approached by neighbors and was engaged in a discussion concerning flying at the Weber State Davis field, primarily concerning safety and the possibility of a crash resulting in injury or property damage.) (2. I was flying early Sunday morning before anyone showed up and the Layton Police showed up to check that I was not up to anything bad. My guess someone called them.) I think with the increased flying activity people are starting to notice and are getting worried about a possible crash that could cause injury or property damage.
I know the RC community does a fairly decent job on policing themselves, but I think with the growing number of people flying there we need to start making changes to avoid the possibility of being banned from flying at the field or in the city limits. I am sure the feeling is mutual when I say we do not want to loose this great field as a flying site, and as a Weber State alumnus and a resident of the neighborhood, I think we owe it to ourselves to preserve this site for future flyers and ourselves.
I propose that we approach Weber State University, Layton city council, and the AMA with the intention of sanctioning the field as an electric flying field. Of course, this will mean the following:
1. Everyone flying will need to join the AMA (although you should anyway for the insurance) all it take is one incident before lawsuits start. We will need to be prudent on challenging people to insure they have an AMA membership.
2. We need to enforce the use of spread spectrum radios only. This is due to the increase in kids toys being on the 72 MHz band. There is no way to know if someone in the neighborhood turns on there radio to play with there blade CX, and then you find your plane crashing into a child or property.
3. We need to create and vote on rules that will ensure no accidents happen.
3. We need to have a meeting to discuss this. I will be more than willing to have it at my house. We can do this as a fun-fly/BBQ. I can do it this weekend.
I hope that I am not coming off in the wrong way, but I think this will ensure the integrity and longevity of the Weber State University Davis flying site. Please respond with you ideas, opinions, etc. We need to establish a date to meet and discuss this. If you want to call me please IM me and I will send you my phone number.
Please keep this constructive.
|Category||Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Discussion||Weber County Flying||natetanr||Utah Flyers Organization||8562||Sep 11, 2014 11:47 PM|
|Help!||Trying to find Nitro flying area in Ogden Depot, Weber county, Utah||jjstick||USA - District X||4||Nov 08, 2013 01:20 AM|
|Discussion||Regional/State AMA flying sites||P-51C||AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics)||12||Jul 10, 2007 11:07 AM|