Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:47 AM
Model Designer - AMA 667982
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
1,931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshgluck View Post
Well apparently I did order the pack with a JST instead of JR plug. Here it is:

So, do I remove the JST and put in a JR servo plug? Is anyone charging their lifepo4 rx packs in the plane? If so are you only charging through the balance plug?

Thx
Just be careful when you remove it. One wire at a time so you don't accidentally short the battery. ( Don't ask me how I know )
starcad is offline Find More Posts by starcad
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:58 AM
SoCal
Joined Feb 2004
379 Posts
Actually a JST will plug right into a JR plug. Just make sure of the polarity.
TonyF is online now Find More Posts by TonyF
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:50 PM
United States, NJ, Middletown
Joined May 2012
401 Posts
I tried, wouldn't fit into my spectrum.. can try again i guess
joshgluck is offline Find More Posts by joshgluck
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2013, 03:06 PM
United States, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Feb 2007
31 Posts
I just ordered the 62 Osiris with the Castle 100A ESC. Should I have gotten the Castle ICE 100A ESC instead?
zztinker is offline Find More Posts by zztinker
Old Mar 12, 2013, 09:47 PM
Joined May 2012
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zztinker View Post
I just ordered the 62 Osiris with the Castle 100A ESC. Should I have gotten the Castle ICE 100A ESC instead?
Do you mean ice 100 vs ice lite 100?
Only difference is the heat sink and covering as far as I know. A little less weight. I went ice lite but in a plane like this I'm hoping it doesn't matter.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:45 PM
Joined Feb 2007
31 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I ordered the correct esc, just got confussed .....
Old Mar 13, 2013, 07:29 AM
Pullin' G's Man
Ossining, NY
Joined Dec 2005
1,005 Posts
Quote:
I tried, wouldn't fit into my spectrum.. can try again i guess
The built-in BEC in the Ice controller is solid, therefore no need for the Rx battery. 249 flights on mine without a glitch, and before that 40 flights with the 80HV (a lot heavier!).

However, if you feel it absolutely necessary, 1600 mAh is waaaaayyyy overkill. Even 2-meter electric pattern models consume only about 25-40 mAh per flight, so a 400 mAh Rx battery is sufficient, although it is always a good idea to regularly check the Rx battery with a volt meter that puts a .5 or 1-amp load when testing.

This model flies GREAT on the 5S set-up, but it needs to be kept light-light-light!

Welcome to D1 Pattern. There are several Pattern pilots not far from you in central-south NJ and a few of us up here in Westchester County, NY. PM me if you want to come up and fly with us.

Bob
cmoulder is offline Find More Posts by cmoulder
Old Mar 19, 2013, 09:22 PM
Joined Feb 2007
31 Posts
Just got my 62 Osiris from UPS, wow, very nice and it included the wing covers. Can't wait to get started on it........
Old Mar 22, 2013, 11:50 AM
United States, CA, Richmond
Joined Dec 2007
161 Posts
Props

I have been using APC 16 x 10e on 5s with Hacker A50-12s. Have been quite happy with it. Ordered a new prop, but what I got was APC 16 x 10 PATTERN prop. This baby is huge! 110 g vs 60 for the e-version.

Does anyone have experience with the APC Pattern props vs. the normal e-props? Wondering if it's worth it because of the weight and needing to get a spinner that will handle the beefy blades of this monster prop.

Thanks,

Bill
HouseOf4Doors is offline Find More Posts by HouseOf4Doors
Old Mar 23, 2013, 12:36 PM
Joined Dec 2003
37 Posts
I'm guessing you will get better flight time with the E prop. It has a more efficient blade shape and its lighter weight means less battery power is used spinning up the prop.
aerobear is offline Find More Posts by aerobear
Last edited by aerobear; Mar 23, 2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 01:34 PM
Missouri
Joined May 2010
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseOf4Doors View Post
I have been using APC 16 x 10e on 5s with Hacker A50-12s. Have been quite happy with it. Ordered a new prop, but what I got was APC 16 x 10 PATTERN prop. This baby is huge! 110 g vs 60 for the e-version.

Does anyone have experience with the APC Pattern props vs. the normal e-props? Wondering if it's worth it because of the weight and needing to get a spinner that will handle the beefy blades of this monster prop.

Thanks,

Bill
Looking at the APC site it looks like the pattern prop is for IC engines. I see similar differences when I compare my APC electric props v my APC props for IC engines. The prop for IC needs extra "meat" because of the vibration.
The extra weight may hinder throttle response and make your Hacker work harder.

Gadget
Gadget99 is offline Find More Posts by Gadget99
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:23 AM
Joined May 2012
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget99 View Post
Looking at the APC site it looks like the pattern prop is for IC engines. I see similar differences when I compare my APC electric props v my APC props for IC engines. The prop for IC needs extra "meat" because of the vibration.
The extra weight may hinder throttle response and make your Hacker work harder.

Gadget
I ordered some XOARs 16x10 and 15x10 for my A50-12s setup on the ICE 100 lite running 5s 5000mah. Hope to have it up and running in a week now that I have my slick and edge built.

Gadget have you thought of a wood prop instead of the APC-E props?

bob - thanks for the offers, I will definitely take you up on it. I have joined NSRCA too.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 28, 2013, 12:16 PM
Pullin' G's Man
Ossining, NY
Joined Dec 2005
1,005 Posts
The best prop I have tried thus far is the PT Models 16x10 (carbon fiber).

They are a bit hard to find, but available on a spotty basis at Esprit model here.

In fact, they're in stock now and I'm going to order another spare.

Bob
cmoulder is offline Find More Posts by cmoulder
Old Mar 28, 2013, 05:56 PM
Missouri
Joined May 2010
78 Posts
Quote:
I ordered some XOARs 16x10 and 15x10 for my A50-12s setup on the ICE 100 lite running 5s 5000mah. Hope to have it up and running in a week now that I have my slick and edge built.

Gadget have you thought of a wood prop instead of the APC-E props?

bob - thanks for the offers, I will definitely take you up on it. I have joined NSRCA too.
Josh,

I just mounted a Xoar 16X10 electric prop. It weighs only 50 g. I gave up on the PT carbon fiber 16X10 because it has been "out of stock" for months. Two days after my Xoar props arrived I received the "in stock" notification of the PT props.
How much does the PT prop weigh? Is is better than a wood Xoar.
Gadget99 is offline Find More Posts by Gadget99
Old Mar 28, 2013, 06:53 PM
Richmond B.C. Canada
Joined Aug 2006
556 Posts
Gadget99, here you go. 16x10 APC, Xoar, and PT.

To be honest, in flight I don't notice much difference between them. But, what do I know!
172AMD is offline Find More Posts by 172AMD