SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:00 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,353 Posts
Nice job!
You'll find this model pretty easy to fly compared to sport ships and trainers.
Chris...
stuntflyr is offline Find More Posts by stuntflyr
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:34 AM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Nov 2007
128 Posts
Well, that's good to hear. I just crashed a sport plane from losing orientation and will be pretty nervous when I maiden the Osiris, which is basically now done.

What is the recommended protocol for connecting the motor at these high currents? My motor distributor said to skip the bullet connectors and solder with motor and ESC wires directly. I've done that but then there are fewer options for feeding the ESC into the fuse unless you solder the wires with the ESC and motor already installed.
Neko is offline Find More Posts by Neko
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:28 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,353 Posts
Well,
If you're still having trouble with orientation I'd fix the Trainer and keep flying it. The Osiris is a model that needs a pilot that is secure in orientation, take offs and landings.

The Osiris is a "neutrally stable" design, this means it stays going where it is pointed.

Trainers are "positively stable" which is it tends to right itself. When in a bank it levels it's wings, in a dive it raises it's nose, etc.

My suggestion is to epoxy that trainer back together and and fly it every day that you can. Practice flying in a straight line parallel to the runway 100 yards out and reversing your direction by doing a vertical maneuver like a reverse half cuban eight or a half cuban eight and coming straight back over that same line you flew, over and over and over until you can nail that thing.

If that is too boring, spice it up with a loop in the center of one pass, roll the next. This will help in the discipline of orientation and teach you to use all controls including the rudder to keep the model going where you want it. Mostly!

I didn't solder my motor leads to my ESC, I used the bullets. They're very low resistance and like you've determined it makes mounting a lot easier. I use an arming plug mounted externally between the ESC and the battery, and deans connectors to connect the battery.

Do you have a Pattern pilot to help you? Even if you don't intend to compete, the discipline of handling the model precisely is worth a lot in general flying.

Chris...
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:33 PM
Joined Nov 2007
128 Posts
Will do, Chris. Thanks for the advice.

David
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:58 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,472 Posts
Also, once you do get ready.....don't forget that there's a 47" size that's much less investment...if you want to start with something less pricy after the trainer.
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 01, 2012, 02:12 PM
Joined Nov 2007
128 Posts
Two nice flights on my new Osiris 47" today! What a difference from the sport plane (Pulse). Hit the rudder and the plane doesn't dive and roll. I think I'll stay the 47 for a bit before moving to the 62.

I have the blue, and at times it was hard to see, but the sky was cloudy- white and I probably need to keep it closer in.

Hacker A30-14L
Hacker X70 (from the dear departed Pulse)
4S 3300
Old Nov 01, 2012, 03:00 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,472 Posts
Quote:
Hit the rudder and the plane doesn't dive and roll.
That's true of almost all good aerobatic planes with a solid and easy-to-fly design...ALL 3dhs planes for sure have low or zero coupling...but pattern planes for sure.
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 02, 2012, 07:00 PM
United States, CA, Richmond
Joined Dec 2007
166 Posts
CA Hinges

Plane's OK after an unplanned arrival but tore my rudder off. Any idea where to get CA hinges to reattach the rudder?

Thanks,

bp
HouseOf4Doors is offline Find More Posts by HouseOf4Doors
Old Nov 03, 2012, 08:56 AM
MD1 HACK
USA, OH, Wadsworth
Joined Jan 2010
1,296 Posts
LHS usually has that sort of thing if not http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXK110&P=8
joshet89 is offline Find More Posts by joshet89
Old Nov 05, 2012, 02:41 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko View Post
Two nice flights on my new Osiris 47" today! What a difference from the sport plane (Pulse). Hit the rudder and the plane doesn't dive and roll. I think I'll stay the 47 for a bit before moving to the 62.

I have the blue, and at times it was hard to see, but the sky was cloudy- white and I probably need to keep it closer in.

Hacker A30-14L
Hacker X70 (from the dear departed Pulse)
4S 3300
Wow Neko,
You're a go getter. Good plan with the 47", you'll notice red and white or red and yellow models are more visible. Best of luck.
Chris...
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:10 PM
Joined Nov 2007
128 Posts
Wow Neko,
You're a go getter. Good plan with the 47", you'll notice red and white or red and yellow models are more visible. Best of luck.
Chris...

Thanks, Chris. I'm still in the manic phase. I've only been back in the sport for 6 weeks (had only a few weeks of flying 5 years ago). Trying to make up for lost time before the weather closes in, so I'm lurking on the forums, trying to build up the hangar and practicing every day on the simulator. Having a blast.

David
Old Nov 07, 2012, 01:32 AM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Oct 2004
757 Posts
Anyone have numbers for the F3A braking for this Osiris? I am using a CC ESC but if anyone has a braking percentage they are happy with I could start there, thanks. Maiden tomorrow, should be a piece of cake.
Husafreak is offline Find More Posts by Husafreak
Old Nov 07, 2012, 01:36 AM
Frontenac, KS
Joined Jan 2003
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husafreak View Post
Anyone have numbers for the F3A braking for this Osiris? I am using a CC ESC but if anyone has a braking percentage they are happy with I could start there, thanks. Maiden tomorrow, should be a piece of cake.
about 15 ~ 30% depending on the weight and personal preference on Hacker outrunners
PatternFlyer is offline Find More Posts by PatternFlyer
Old Nov 07, 2012, 10:18 AM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Oct 2004
757 Posts
Thanks, its light so I'll start at 15.
Husafreak is offline Find More Posts by Husafreak
Old Nov 08, 2012, 03:33 PM
Canard Driver
san diego, ca.
Joined Nov 2002
428 Posts
3dHS Pattern plane

I hope some one who is knowledgeable can help me with this A/C ? I got this as an estate liquidation It's a gorgeous plane well prepared but missing the bottom pan!
I have spent quite a bit of time looking for the Manufacture in hopes of
ordering a replacement pan but no luck.
R.A.P. is offline Find More Posts by R.A.P.