HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2010, 11:49 AM
Joined Sep 2003
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinewalker View Post
Thinking out loud, and having Googled around a bit on building RC outboard hydros, I am now wondering if I should be building this in wood over foam construction? I really don't have a whole lot of time or money into it so far, so it wouldn't be hard to backtrack and start from scratch. Coming from a 1:1 boating background, my first thought was to build it plank over frame like a real boat, but now I'm having second thoughts.... Any input?

Thanks!
- Scott
Scott, I've built both ways, and I prefer wood over a frame-just my 2c.
DJ Campbell is offline Find More Posts by DJ Campbell
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2010, 08:47 AM
1000 Islands, NY
Joined Dec 2009
466 Posts
Framing Done!

Didn't do a whole lot to the hydro this weekend, but I did finish off the skeleton for the most part with the last of the battens in. Will probably have to back-burner this for a little while to work on a few other non-model related projects...
Chinewalker is offline Find More Posts by Chinewalker
Old Feb 22, 2010, 12:03 PM
1000 Islands, NY
Joined Dec 2009
466 Posts
Getting a little work done again after taking a few weeks off from this project. Got the chines glued in place last night...
Old Dec 06, 2010, 02:15 PM
1000 Islands, NY
Joined Dec 2009
466 Posts
I've stretched my summer out as long as I could. Time to hunker down and get back to the basement. Looking forward to finishing off this hydro and I have several other projects in the works. I haven't done much of anything on the building side since early last Spring and am anxious to make some sawdust!

I'm now thinking I will get one of the ProBoat outboards for this boat and go brushless. At 28 inches, I think this hull will be too big to do much with the Graupner 650 on it. 28-inches is closer in size to the Stilletto that the PB outboard runs on. The Graupner works okay on the 24-inch Bud Light tunnel, but it isn't a speed demon. The PB would give me a lot more flexibility for parts, motor selection, etc.
Old Dec 09, 2010, 12:03 AM
Zombie Apocalypse
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Nov 2010
1,973 Posts
No mention of running gear just yet ?
Rusty Old Fart is offline Find More Posts by Rusty Old Fart
Old Dec 09, 2010, 01:10 PM
1000 Islands, NY
Joined Dec 2009
466 Posts
I am going to get one of the Pro Boat outboards for it. Had originally thought I'd use the old-tech Graupner GTX 650, but having run up against its limitations this summer running it on my MRP Bud Light tunnel, I am thinking I'll get something a bit more current with more prop options. The Pro Boat outboard is beefy, made for brushless systems, and has a wider prop array to play with. I'll probably start more or less stock, with basically the same motor & ESC combo used in the Stiletto tunnel and go from there as the learning curve improves...