xplaneguy is offline Find More Posts by xplaneguy
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2010, 11:57 AM
RCP
RC Product Buyer
US
Joined Jun 2009
216 Posts
Both of the video's above from valleyjets.com are mine. I fly with a bunch of other guys who own airliners and fly at the Valley Flyers Club in the San Fernando Valley, California.

One of the guys has a Eflite 777 with an AWAC disc mounted to the top of the fuselage. The AWAC disc spins 360 degrees and has two cameras mounted within the disc. One camera is for video replay and the other is live time that sends video back to a laptop computer back in the pits. Both cameras have functional servo's that allow pan and tilt from a separate radio. We will have some new video posted up from the AWAC camera, shortly.
RCP is offline Find More Posts by RCP
Old Feb 24, 2010, 01:39 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP View Post
Both of the video's above from valleyjets.com are mine. I fly with a bunch of other guys who own airliners and fly at the Valley Flyers Club in the San Fernando Valley, California.

One of the guys has a Eflite 777 with an AWAC disc mounted to the top of the fuselage. The AWAC disc spins 360 degrees and has two cameras mounted within the disc. One camera is for video replay and the other is live time that sends video back to a laptop computer back in the pits. Both cameras have functional servo's that allow pan and tilt from a separate radio. We will have some new video posted up from the AWAC camera, shortly.
Very cool! I'm looking forward to more videos.

Thanks,
Tony
xplaneguy is offline Find More Posts by xplaneguy
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2010, 01:56 AM
Have you seen my nut?
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,417 Posts
RCP are you flying yours with the supplied electronics?? I am tempted to get this plane. Also it looks like in one video it took alot to rotate, and in the second it was airborn it what to me looked like about 200 feet.

Airframe only is nice, but when you price out the RxR plane its not a bad price if the gear is ok. I usually try and stay clear of RxR planes and just get airframes but this one could get spendy with the equipment I like to use. ...lol
Lithonion is offline Find More Posts by Lithonion
Old Feb 25, 2010, 09:07 AM
RCP
RC Product Buyer
US
Joined Jun 2009
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithonion View Post
RCP are you flying yours with the supplied electronics?? I am tempted to get this plane. Also it looks like in one video it took alot to rotate, and in the second it was airborn it what to me looked like about 200 feet.

Airframe only is nice, but when you price out the RxR plane its not a bad price if the gear is ok. I usually try and stay clear of RxR planes and just get airframes but this one could get spendy with the equipment I like to use. ...lol

Yes, I have the receiver ready kit. I have not had any problems with the electronics other than one motor shaft that snapped in flight. I heard it go while in flight, but really couldn't notice a difference in flight characteristics. The other 3 motors kept the plane flying fine. I replaced the one motor with a Kyosho brushless motor from their F-16.

I made one change to my plane from the start. I added a Castle external bec and disconnected all the receiver power wires from the 4 esc's. I just wasn't sure about the bec's from the plane and had no information from the manufacturer on them, so I added the external bec just as a added safety feature.

You can turn the plane quicker than the video, if needed. I like to fly somewhat scale, so I usually take the plane up high and wide when turning. I didn't wire the plane with elevon mixing, like the instructions show, but only use the ailerons to turn the plane.

I plan on adding some flaps to try and slow the plane down a little on landings to try and get a more scale like flight. You can also add a rudder to gain even more flight control.
Last edited by RCP; Feb 25, 2010 at 09:24 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 09:27 AM
RCP
RC Product Buyer
US
Joined Jun 2009
216 Posts
Deleted post.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 09:38 AM
Have you seen my nut?
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,417 Posts
Thanks for the info. Your right, I wouldn't trust 4 ESC's all with the BEC wire intact either. Great info and if I get this plane I will do the same. You probably saved yourself potential problems. Where I fly we have a short strip, finally found out its 275 feet so I will be rotating as soon as I can.

Ok, I had to edit. I was bad and I just ordered one from BH PnP.

I know BH has a bad BBB rating and tons of complaints but I have never had any issues and even had a plane busted in shipping and Pete took care of me ASAP.

I have a couple BEC's still unopened so one will be going in this bird. Great heads up
Last edited by Lithonion; Feb 25, 2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 02:38 PM
Santa Barbara/Roseville, California
Joined Dec 2001
306 Posts
Riddle me this. (may have been addressed already) could one use a similar motor/esc/battery setup as the Eflight 777? And have two dummy engines for the sake of $$$$ and complexity of battery capacity and malfunctions? Money is my biggest motivator when it comes to my rc (toy) fund on paypal.

Thanks for your help,

Mike.

p.s. How do you compare it overall to the Eflight Super Airliner. They are now both close in price for the airframe.
mike93 is offline Find More Posts by mike93
Old Feb 25, 2010, 05:18 PM
RCP
RC Product Buyer
US
Joined Jun 2009
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike93 View Post
Riddle me this. (may have been addressed already) could one use a similar motor/esc/battery setup as the Eflight 777? And have two dummy engines for the sake of $$$$ and complexity of battery capacity and malfunctions? Money is my biggest motivator when it comes to my rc (toy) fund on paypal.

Thanks for your help,

Mike.

p.s. How do you compare it overall to the Eflight Super Airliner. They are now both close in price for the airframe.
Yes, I guess you could do it with two 70mm motors and have two dummy fan housings. If your comparing the two airframe kits, I would say the Airbus is levels ahead of the 777 kit. The foam is better quality, it is sprayed with a coating so it wipes down easy, the quality of the landing gear is much better and the plane just looks more impressive with four motors housings.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 12:24 PM
NiCd + Mabuchi 550 was da bomb
NY USA
Joined Apr 1999
608 Posts
Can someone kindly measure the stock motors and see if the following motor would be a good alternative?

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dproduct=10930
boom is offline Find More Posts by boom
Old Feb 28, 2010, 10:03 PM
Have you seen my nut?
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,417 Posts
Did some research for ya boom and found this little tidbit. This is a quote from a post I found on hobbykings thread on this plane.

The A380 is powered by 4x 6-bladed 55mm fans, each running their own 2826 Brushless outrunner (3200KV) and 25A ESC. I have now measured and compared these EDF's to the GWS 55 EDF units and they are the same, except the inlet lip has been removed.

So, whatever fits in the GWS fans, will fit in these as they probably are GWS fans.
Old Mar 01, 2010, 11:03 PM
Have you seen my nut?
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2006
2,417 Posts
My A380 has been shipped. Now I just have to not freak and hide in the bushes waiting for the UPS truck.
Old Mar 02, 2010, 07:50 PM
Joined Jul 2003
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP View Post

[snip]

You can turn the plane quicker than the video, if needed. I like to fly somewhat scale, so I usually take the plane up high and wide when turning. I didn't wire the plane with elevon mixing, like the instructions show, but only use the ailerons to turn the plane.

We just got ours from PW-RC. Great service, it was here in 4 days!

Can you confirm that you set your's up with conventional controls, i.e., elevators just as elevators and ailerons just as ailerons? Why do you suppose that they recommend that you do it otherwise?

I'm thinking of adding a working rudder... oh, and lots and lots of lights...

Bob
klenker is offline Find More Posts by klenker