SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 10, 2010, 08:27 PM
Flying Kiwi
Wellington, NZ
Joined Apr 2005
778 Posts
Discussion
Interesting Kiwi DS site

For all you five Kiwi DS freaks out there.

Had some great DS between surfs the last couple of weeks at Castlepoint.

The DS site is on the saddle between 'the gap' and Christmas Bay, it is DSable both on a NE seabreeze and a Southerly....I was lucky enough to fly both winds.

Here are some interesting pics and info on the area from a thread I did in the AP forum a while back. The saddle is just to the right of the huge cliff in the background.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=506214

Here are some pics of the N and S slopes from the saddle.
booma is offline Find More Posts by booma
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2010, 08:40 PM
Wellington, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
385 Posts
Sweet! Next time im out there i'll take a look - i assume you cant front-side (cough) it there too?
taurineman is online now Find More Posts by taurineman
Old Jan 10, 2010, 08:45 PM
Flying Kiwi
Wellington, NZ
Joined Apr 2005
778 Posts
Yeah bro you can bright side it both ways...also lots of other slopes out there...
Old Jan 11, 2010, 12:27 AM
Wellington, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
385 Posts
I think i've seen a post of yours a few years back talking about "the 60" on the south coast of welly. You still hit that slope much? You tried front-siding the quarry face just by the owhiro bay carpark?
Old Jan 11, 2010, 01:39 AM
Flying Kiwi
Wellington, NZ
Joined Apr 2005
778 Posts
yes i have flown there...there is actually a DS groove a little further along that ridge. The better FS is next hill to the east....if your clever you can drive right to the top, the lift is wicked but foam only alas.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 02:21 AM
Wellington, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
385 Posts
How do you drive to the top of it? Is that off the tip road? Need a 4x4 i assume.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 06:46 PM
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Sep 2009
120 Posts
I'm loving it guys! I have surfed at Castle point a couple of times in past years (once during an off-shore so strong you couldn't see the down the face until you stood up because of spray - you also had to be real careful bailing out because the wind would get under the board and it would take off and land somewhere next to you, or on you!) Anyway, this thread is meant to be about another great sport...

More NZ DS locations please! And general NZ DS stories etc.

I now live in Manchester, UK and have since learned to DS after meeting a bunch of really decent DS flyers here (good flyers and good blokes). One fine day I will return to Godzone permanently and I wouldn't want to waste any time on the ground . There must be hundreds of decent DS sites waiting to be flown in NZ.

Meantime, i'm heading back home in Feb and will be bringing back a couple of Reapers. One for me and one for one of my jolly good old chap Pommie mates.

Happy flying!

p.s. Photo of my first foamie (Canterbury Sailplanes 1.2m Jazz Extreme) is still flying. It's on its third cover job now after rebuilding it with grunty carbon spars. The original skinny spars snapped after I couldn't help wieghting it up and trying to DS it. Not what it's for I know. Thought you fellas would like the colour scheme though... (that's Manchester in the background, through the haze/smog/whatever it is we breathe here. Do you like the weather? Any day it's not raining is a good day)
Hot Air is offline Find More Posts by Hot Air
Last edited by Hot Air; Jan 13, 2010 at 06:50 PM. Reason: added photo details
Old Jan 14, 2010, 01:20 AM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Sep 2008
2,443 Posts
DS zone

Carbon Bird Alpine light air DS (5 min 4 sec)
AlpineDSacro is offline Find More Posts by AlpineDSacro
Last edited by AlpineDSacro; Jan 14, 2010 at 05:50 AM. Reason: vid
Old Jan 18, 2010, 04:09 PM
Joined Sep 2009
120 Posts
Nice vid there Alpine (apart from having to turn my monitor on its side )

Great views of Queenstown, that awesome ridge all to yourself and so many big ridges all over the region, people I know over here in the UK could only dream of such places (and me too! - i'm probably stuck here in England as a career prisoner until I retire, by which time I will have a container full of planes to bring home with me and keep me happy in Godzone)

Good thing you didn't do too many consecutive laps or your camera attachment would be seriously tested! Nice work giving it a go btw. I tried a FlyCamOne2 on my Mini-Blade, only frontside so far, but it did interfere with the airflow over the V-Tail, especially when I tried it sideways as you did. I wondered how it might affect my elevator authority 'down the back'. Obviously you were okay with your bird.

Keep those photos coming. It'll keep me, and probably many others inspired. Cheers!
Old Jan 19, 2010, 12:45 AM
Joined Sep 2008
2,443 Posts
Cool thanks. I have some cool video's coming. Just waiting for right wind direction. F3F Sting, Carbon Zipper, and D40. Should handle the job .... found some new sites !!!!!
Bugger about the snow in UK huh ?
Old Mar 08, 2010, 05:41 AM
Joined Sep 2009
120 Posts
Hey there Alpine (and other Kiwi DSers)

Have you flown again lately? I have just returned to the UK (Manchester) after spending all of Feb in Godzone in the Nelson area. I was there to get married, so I didn't bring a plane over or do any flying - no time/space etc. Next time I come home it will be purely for a holiday and fun, surfing, flying, fishing, eating, drinking...

I saw so many flyable hills and potential DS sites during my recent travels around the Nelson Lakes, Kaikoura and Blenheim it was awesome.

Meantime, I brought back a couple of Reapers. One for me and one for a mate here who I DS with. I'm building the Reaper now, then building an Opus MCT so i'll have two new toys to add to my quiver ready for summer . If I do make it back to NZ permanently I will have a good collection of planes to bring home.

Happy flying/DSing all
Old Mar 08, 2010, 02:54 PM
Flying Kiwi
Wellington, NZ
Joined Apr 2005
778 Posts
Haya HA...congrats on getting married in Godzone !

Been too much surf competing for the stick time lately but had a wee bit of frontside to keep from going completely rusty.

Nelson = Bulwer...check it out on GE
Last edited by booma; Mar 08, 2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old Mar 08, 2010, 03:02 PM
Flying Kiwi
Wellington, NZ
Joined Apr 2005
778 Posts
Bulwer

Old Mar 10, 2010, 03:08 PM
Joined Sep 2009
120 Posts
Looks good Boomer, but what a mission it would be to get there though! I noted a short ridge on the top of Pepin Island, about 20km NE of Nelson that would probably work (SW/NE winds). Next time i'm there I should have a plane and i'll give it a go. (My in-laws live in Hira, which is only 5mins from there).

Other spots around Nelson I observed:

Overlooking Nelson itself, a ridge that runs from the 'Centre of New Zealand', facing WNW and curves to the north to face NNW. I never managed to recce it but there looks to be various sections that could work. Next time...

I haven't worked out how to embed files on RCG yet to link you a .kmz location (no time right now) but other potential ridges in the Sounds include the French Pass Rd.

Stay stoked

I would love to do a DS road trip in NZ. There's so much waiting to be flown!
Old Mar 13, 2010, 07:06 PM
Joined Sep 2008
2,443 Posts
Too true !! PS. bring your hiking boots ....