HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Video of the E-flite Blade SR Helicopter!

Michael Heer was able to shoot the first video of the Blade SR helicopter in action at the AMA show for you E-Zone pilots!

Splash

Introduction

The new Blade SR is designed for the newer helicopter pilot who wants to transition from flying a coaxial helicopter, or the MSR, to a collective pitch helicopter like the Blade 400 or CP Pro 2. The Blade SR Helicopter is on track for release in February, 2010. It is RTF and comes with its own Blade SR transmitter. This helicopter is "detuned" for slower response which is what the newer pilot needs. The combination of transmitter and helicopter are designed to work together for the newer pilot, but it can be transitioned to be a more aggressive helicopter when the pilot is ready to advance by changing the rotor blades and using a programmable DSM2 transmitter.

Based on what I saw it do as shown in this video, at its price of just under $200.00 this helicopter should be very popular, especially with newer helicopter pilots. My thanks to Mark Padilla for letting me share the first videotape of the Blade SR with you.

Photo Gallery and Video

Downloads

SRBlade.wmv  61.03 MB

Conclusion

I was admittedly very impressed by what I saw. It looks to fill the transition niche very well. Hopefully we’ll continue as a full review at a future date.

Last edited by Angela H; Jan 17, 2010 at 08:26 AM..

Discussion

Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:17 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,432 Posts
Although this was the first video shot of the Blade SR helicopter, Run Ryder was able to get his video (shot right after this one) out for viewing first. The SR appears to be an exciting development for the newer pilot. I look forward to getting more information on this helicopter. Michael Heer
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:24 AM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2001
4,031 Posts
call me negative but this looks like a solution looking for a problem.
Like others have pointed out if you add a 9 thooth pinion and paddleweights you can have the blade 400 flying the same way and that allouws you to grow more bevore having to buy a whole new setup.
Eflite shoudl just sell a "trainer edition" of the blade 400 with these small changes done.
cmulder is offline Find More Posts by cmulder
Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:54 AM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2005
355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmulder View Post
Like others have pointed out if you add a 9 thooth pinion and paddleweights you can have the blade 400 flying the same way and that allouws you to grow more bevore having to buy a whole new setup.
Eflite shoudl just sell a "trainer edition" of the blade 400 with these small changes done.
You make a good point and a 400 trainer edition is a great idea. However the SR is half the price. For a beginer that makes a diffence. It is hard to commit $400+ to an aircraft with significant likely hood of damage while learning how to fly it.
Osprey Engineer is offline Find More Posts by Osprey Engineer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: T-37 Dragonfly
Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:54 AM
SouthernHoneyBee
Columbia, SC USA
Joined Dec 2004
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmulder View Post
Can you give me the rcgroup link or info about the mod for the bl400?

I am one of those that has flown a co-axial and now has a bl 400, but feel there needs to be something in-between to get my skill level where it need to be to fly my bl400.

I have been waiting for the SR, but would like to have something to fly now.

Osprey Engineer
"It is hard to commit $400+ to an aircraft with significant likely hood of damage while learning how to fly it."
yep thats what I'm talking about.

thanks
SouthernFly is offline Find More Posts by SouthernFly
Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:20 PM
E-flyer since 1981
Joined Oct 2000
1,492 Posts
Excellent video; I'm sold!
Michael in Toronto is online now Find More Posts by Michael in Toronto
Old Jan 20, 2010, 01:05 PM
Eek! I see RC People!
Utah
Joined Oct 2009
664 Posts
Looks cool, but I'm wonder. Couldn't you accomplish all the stuff he shows you with any heli of that size with the right amount of expo?
OICUFly12 is offline Find More Posts by OICUFly12
Old Jan 20, 2010, 01:40 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICUFly12 View Post
Looks cool, but I'm wonder. Couldn't you accomplish all the stuff he shows you with any heli of that size with the right amount of expo?
Yes, particularly if you are the one selling it.

I am skeptical of these promotional videos. They are obviously going to present the product in the best light possible.

Seriously though, what they are claiming is something to do with the radio, is really not. Regardless of how the radio is set up, a helicopter won't be stable unless it's mechanically stable. When you take your hands off the radio, the radio really isn't doing anything at all at that point - if the helicopter is still stable, then it's mechanics doing it, not the radio. The handling can be affected by the radio, but as you mentioned, any radio can do that if it's programmable with expo and curves and so on.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Jan 20, 2010, 02:12 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,734 Posts
I've got mine on order. This will be the perfect thing for me to fly around the house. Can't wait to get my hands on it!
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2010, 02:17 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,432 Posts
I believe Mark said it was a combination of factors including the rotor head, the blades used and the programming in the transmitter. As I have stated I am very interested but need hands on time with it to go any further with my evaluation. The video is simply an interesting starting point for the evaluation process on a product not yet available. Mike Heer
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2010, 02:41 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
He's flying it indoors in a large area. LOTS of helicopters look stable flying indoors and with no wind.
Not many people have a "no wind" area to fly in.

That heli is slightly larger than a 250 and the same weight so I'd like to see it in some moderate wind where many people will be training.

That size heli IMO is still kind of big to "fly around the house". which is what an MSR is IDEAL for.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Jan 20, 2010, 02:49 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,734 Posts
Maybe I should have clarified... fly around the house as in around the outside of the house. Need a backyard/street flier to get my fix and this will fit that bill nicely.
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2010, 03:05 PM
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jul 2008
275 Posts
It's essentially a noobed out Blade CP. What do you learn from a helicopter that hovers itself?
Rota is offline Find More Posts by Rota
Old Jan 20, 2010, 04:12 PM
Air Cooled VW mechanic
USA, CO, Longmont
Joined Jul 2008
202 Posts
I know they will NOT release a BNF of this, but an "Airframe Only" would be sweet. I really want that "New" frame for my CP.
-
Hmmm, I wonder if the CP is due for a make over now?
THX-181 is offline Find More Posts by THX-181
Old Jan 20, 2010, 05:20 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,382 Posts
Initially HH decided against BNF. The poll is 4 to 1 against that decision, so it's subject to change. I mean, all they gotta do is leave the transmitter out of the box and add a few suggested setups to the instructions. Why wouldn't they?

Factory promo pilots could throw confetti out a window and make it look stable. Remains to be seen if that wish materializes in the delivered product. I can tell you this much: Low rates and high expo will not make a klutz pilot an expert. I tried those on a CP platform and it made me worse.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab