HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2010, 04:32 AM
james and his solar ideas
near San Francisco Bay
Joined Jan 2010
1 Posts
Discussion
what is the best solar panel to place on wings that allows equal weight distribution

Curious if anyone has tried to set up the wings to incorporate flexible
solar panels to allow inflight battery charging aloft ?

Several years ago, I told an engineer about placing solar film
on missles, naturally I did not get a dime, however now, I am glad
I was not involved with that madness.........

I would like to hear comments about the results from anyone who
has tried this technique.

Okay, let the mail come in........

James writes from California
solartek is offline Find More Posts by solartek
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2010, 06:49 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,369 Posts
You have to be kidding right?

Your choice of User's name and a first post in bold red type. Either you are just trolling or to ........................ to help.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jan 10, 2010, 07:17 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
11,844 Posts
Sounds and looks like a schill from http://www.solartekenergy.com/

But if he isn't, then it isn't practical or cheap enough for us hobbyists. The using a more or less, common flexible solar film panel we have a piece that measures 12 inches by 57 inches long. It costs $189.99 US for one (most everyone else wants $390 US each for one). To put on a wing then you need two of them. Now one panel at max output yields 14 watts (15.4 Volts / 900 mA). So two of them, one on each wing, would give you 28 watts at 15.4v, with 1,800 ma of current. That might work for keeping the radio control system going longer without needing recharging, but not for powering an electric motor for this size of a airplane. But the max power output is under ideal conditions, of which we seldom get anywhere, so we would be lucky to get 1000ma out of the panels.
Ref: http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/sho...ogleProductAds

A airplane for two of these flexible solar panels would have around a 16 inch wide wing with a wingspan of about 126 inches (to let you mount two of the 12" wide by 57" long panels). Hummm, now it looks like we are talking about UAV drones again. But a larger radio control glider person might be interested, as the 57"x12" panel weighs about 17 ounces, so two would weigh about 34 ounces, so on 126 inch wingspan glider there could be some potential with the stuff to increase flight time then.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Jan 10, 2010 at 07:26 AM.