Old Jan 09, 2010, 12:11 PM
Make the best of all you have
Essen/Germany
Joined Dec 2006
569 Posts
Discussion
E-flite 4-Site mods and tweaks thread

Hello fans of the 4-site,

I start this thread for all of us to concentrate all the helpfull informations about the 4-site to keep and extend the fun this little king of the air gives to you - assumed you are able to handle it.

1. Keep in mind this light biplane construction is made for advanced pilots and not for beginners to train their flying skills.

2. It is made from thin depron (to keep it light) with some carbon rods and "TESA" (selfadhesive clear tape) to strengthen it.

3. If you kill it by consistence hard landings, you made a mistake - not E-flite.

4. Even if you handle it with your hands be carefull !

5. It is made for 3D flying with a brushed motor, so it has to be very light.

6. You have to make some compromises to get such a light 3D able biplane with an affordable price.

Please be so kind to minimalize your comments and concentrate your posts on to new tips and tricks around this topic.

So after all this is said, let´s have some fun...

I´ve rounded all edges on ruder, elevator and the ailerons with a nail scissors and
did some reinforcements before my first flight, that gave me an extra weight of 1gr :

0,5mm carbon rod taped in front of the wing by 4 stripes of TESA (between the yellow lines)

I trimed the below part of the ruder for some ground clearance

Rolf
beetyii is offline Find More Posts by beetyii
Last edited by beetyii; Jan 18, 2010 at 07:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2010, 03:51 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,414 Posts
This has been one of my main concerns with this plane. I've yet to seriously crash a plane beyond a simple repair but I've broken nearly every one I own at one time or another with my fumble fingers or anything within 5 feet of me. Doorways, doors, swinging doors, car doors, garage doors, clothing, car seats, seat belts, other people, cats, dogs, trash cans... etc. You name it and it jumps out in front of me when I'm transporting a plane.

I have a 4-Site 250 and it is very easy to break just by looking at it. I can't imagine now delicate the micro version will be. Thankfully, the boxes for the smaller planes prevent a lot of the above from happening. Thanks for the tips. I'll need em when mine arrives. Keep em coming!
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Old Jan 09, 2010, 03:54 PM
Essen/Germany
Joined Dec 2006
569 Posts
I´ve made a new batteryholder in order to save the fuselage with a little heatshrink to cover the battery and a piece of 0,5mm ABS plastic as base.

First slide the piece of plastic (9x30x0,5mm) into the heatshrink and then slide the battery (without the original velcro) over the plastic into the heatshrink.

After heating (don´t shrink to much) you can slide the battery out and glue the plastic to the heatshrink with a little drop of CA.

Finally glue the removed original velcro to the back of your new batteryholder and you´re ready.

After you´ve installed the batteryholder to the fuselage you are now able to attach your battery with ease.

This batteryholder can be made for every style of battery (picture 4), so that you can change your batteries like you want...

Now you are able to slide the battery in and out without stressing the fuselage.

An other advantage is that you can slide the battery for easy trimming your CG without any fiddling.

Rolf
Last edited by beetyii; Jan 18, 2010 at 07:38 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2010, 04:02 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,414 Posts

nevermind. just delete em both.
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Last edited by SD One.; Jan 09, 2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2010, 08:11 PM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,787 Posts
Well, i suggest the use of a Hyperion or Zippy 240mah cell to use. I will post on this post later a how to of how to solder the connectors on. I think we should also start a Difficulty rating for the mods, 1 to 10, 1 being a 5 year old could do it easily (E.G. the taping of edges etc), 10 being only for the most faint hearted and most experienced modder (E.G replacing a wing with an air foiled piece of 2mm depron, not a real mod i know but just for example) and 5 being someone with some DIY experience and a bit of practice in the area of the mod could do (E.G. replacing the motor for a BL one and installing new ESC).
Bowerz is online now Find More Posts by Bowerz
Old Jan 09, 2010, 08:54 PM
Essen/Germany
Joined Dec 2006
569 Posts
Do you mean this (Hyp240) ?

I think the difficullty of every mod is depending on personal skills, so a rating would be very subjective...

Rolf
Old Jan 09, 2010, 09:01 PM
Mines faster than your's
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2007
729 Posts
This has not even been released yet, right? How did you get it?
Texasredrider is offline Find More Posts by Texasredrider
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2010, 09:06 PM
Essen/Germany
Joined Dec 2006
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasredrider View Post
This has not even been released yet, right? How did you get it?
beetyii
I´m faster than you

It has been released on 28.12.2009 here in germany.

Rolf
Old Jan 09, 2010, 09:48 PM
Mines faster than your's
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2007
729 Posts
Darn! I got exited for a second. They arent due here until late January but will probably be pushed back to February...
Texasredrider is offline Find More Posts by Texasredrider
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2010, 11:49 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,530 Posts
just for precisions
tesa = clear tape
plane = fragile (i dont think u need 5 lines of disclaimers saying its not eflites fault :P)
plane = easy to repair. u can tape and uhu-por glue everything that breaks easily.

fragile parts:
- top/bottom wing attachments (put blue before first flight in my own opinion. slightest hard landing will break it)
- wheels attachments to the wing (if you like to land vertically on the fences eg, expect problems)
- fuselage where the battery holds - each time you remove the battery you risk damaging it a bit. be really careful. don't use strong velcro, it will kill everything!

"mod": flaperons

check this manual: http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...LUserGuide.pdf
- remove battery from the plane
- start transmitter
- on mode 2, put full throttle, and the other stick in the lower left angle
- while holding sticks, plug plane battery, wait for 3 led flashes
- unplug battery, put sticks back to normal, replug battery
- set your transmitter to flaperon mode, set up mixes, etc
for mode 1, see the pdf above.

mod: fpv
- Cx161 panasonic camera
- airwave 5.8Ghz 25mW tx
- hyperion 240 G3 (double output)
- led driver 5v
- forget about real 3D

ultra micro 4 site FPV (0 min 47 sec)
jimbob00 is offline Find More Posts by jimbob00
Old Jan 10, 2010, 06:07 AM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beetyii View Post
I think the difficullty of every mod is depending on personal skills, so a rating would be very subjective...

Rolf
It's not a difficulty rating as such, it's how competent/how much knowledge you have to be/have to do it. Like in my examples 10 is a fully competent modder, 1 is an extreme newby to RC and even a 5 year old can do it, then 5 is has to have a fair bit of RC experience, is a fairly competent DIY'er and can accept possibly breaking something.
Bowerz is online now Find More Posts by Bowerz
Old Jan 10, 2010, 09:27 AM
Havin some fun!
United States
Joined Jul 2008
105 Posts
How about rating on useless posts
Bwattie 1 is offline Find More Posts by Bwattie 1
Old Jan 11, 2010, 12:33 PM
Peter Madsen
Denmark
Joined Dec 2009
75 Posts
I have also reinforced the place where the back of both the upper and lower wing connects to the body with clear tape. Mine came a little apart there from grabbing it in the air (was flying outside and couldn’t land on the ground due to snow).

For me at least that seems to be a fragile place on the plane.
pbm77 is online now Find More Posts by pbm77
Old Jan 11, 2010, 05:13 PM
Essen/Germany
Joined Dec 2006
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbm77 View Post
I have also reinforced the place where the back of both the upper and lower wing connects to the body with clear tape. Mine came a little apart there from grabbing it in the air (was flying outside and couldn’t land on the ground due to snow).

For me at least that seems to be a fragile place on the plane.

I taped these points, too.

Ad a little drop of UHU POR on the tape where the front and back of both the upper and lower wing connects to the fuselage and you are ready to go ...

PS :
The 4-site is made for acrobatic in the air - not in your hands ...

Rolf
Last edited by beetyii; Jan 18, 2010 at 07:39 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 05:47 PM
On Drugs
A mile high and 30 feet south of the 40th parallel
Joined Dec 2009
1,128 Posts
ah man. i was really eyein these.

but if its that fragile, i dont want it.

Id probably hamfist it to death taking it out of the box!
BEELZEBOB is offline Find More Posts by BEELZEBOB