HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 09, 2010, 10:13 AM
Paul Rautenbach
Ely, UK
Joined Jan 2010
69 Posts
Question
Replacement for NiCd Tx battery

I need to replace the 9.6v NiCd Tx Battery in my JR X2610 transmitter. I think it died of neglect having not been used for years. I use it with my helicopter simulator so am unable to practice until I find a replacement.

Is a NiMH battery a suitable replacement or do I need a NiCd one? I have a MacGregor Heavy Duty Charger (no part number) with TX output 10V DC 60mA and RX output 5V DC 120mA. (MacGregor are the UK distributer for JR.)

Thanks.

Paul
PaulRautenbach is offline Find More Posts by PaulRautenbach
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2010, 10:57 AM
Sailplane Mafia
United States, SC, Summerville
Joined Jun 2001
2,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRautenbach View Post
I need to replace the 9.6v NiCd Tx Battery in my JR X2610 transmitter. I think it died of neglect having not been used for years. I use it with my helicopter simulator so am unable to practice until I find a replacement.

Is a NiMH battery a suitable replacement or do I need a NiCd one? I have a MacGregor Heavy Duty Charger (no part number) with TX output 10V DC 60mA and RX output 5V DC 120mA. (MacGregor are the UK distributer for JR.)

Thanks.

Paul
A NiMH will work fine, I replaced my 9303 72mhz one a couple of years ago with a Nimh from TanicPacks and no issues. Just remember a NiMH has a faster fall off rate when the cells hit 1.1v. Not an issue as long as you don't fly below 1.2v per cell. Most modern TX's will beep when you go below the limit.
gquiring is offline Find More Posts by gquiring
Old Jan 09, 2010, 11:28 AM
Paul Rautenbach
Ely, UK
Joined Jan 2010
69 Posts
Thanks. I'll replace it with a NiMH then.
PaulRautenbach is offline Find More Posts by PaulRautenbach
Old Jan 09, 2010, 12:14 PM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
4,087 Posts
For a choice between NiCad and NiMh for a transmitter, if longevity, less self discharge, number of charge/recharge cycles etc., NiCad wins hands down. Twice as many charge/discharge cycles, half the self discharge rate and much more tolerant of minor abuse such as overcharge, deep discharge etc. The only advantage of the NiMh is less mass for equivalent MAH and less toxic to the landfill if you improperly dispose of them. Do not let the false claims that NiCad have a memory in the way we use them, it just isn't so.
Rodney is offline Find More Posts by Rodney
Old Jan 09, 2010, 01:38 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,115 Posts
I agree that many NiMH batteries are inferior to NiCd except in terms of capacity (which an exaggerated issue when it comes to transmitters).

Best answer is hybrid NiMH, as in Eneloop. Very good capacity (2000 mAh) and very low self-discharge. I haven't heard any complaints about premature failure.

NiCd batteries are on their way out, not only because they have lower capacity than NiMH, but also because of the problems of disposing of toxic cadmium. Expect to see them banned except for special safety related purposes.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Jan 10, 2010, 01:56 PM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,169 Posts
Hi Paul,
One thing you should consider if you go to a higher capacity battery pack. Your 60mA wall wart will take a long time to fully charge a 2000mAh pack. Ideally a rate of 200mA would be correct to charge a 2000mAh pack.
Pete
pilotpete2 is online now Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Jan 10, 2010, 03:38 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpete2 View Post
Hi Paul,
One thing you should consider if you go to a higher capacity battery pack. Your 60mA wall wart will take a long time to fully charge a 2000mAh pack. Ideally a rate of 200mA would be correct to charge a 2000mAh pack.
Pete
Agreed. Just for reference, the standard charger that come with the DX7 and 9303 is 110 mA to charge the 1500 mAh battery.

This is not critical if you don't mind leaving it on charge for a day or two initially and on occasions when its well discharged. On the other hand, you will use no more power from a 2000 mAh pack than you used to from a 600 mAh pack, so an overnight charge will be sufficient to make up for a normal flying session.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:00 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,485 Posts
For a choice between NiCad and NiMh for a transmitter, if longevity, less self discharge, number of charge/recharge cycles etc, Eneloops or other "pre-charged" AA NiMh cells win hands down. I recommend these if you can get them locally:

Don't let anyone talk you into buying more NiCd cells. They're just so 20th Century.
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
Old Jan 11, 2010, 09:51 AM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,169 Posts
And so are most of us here on these forums
Pete
pilotpete2 is online now Find More Posts by pilotpete2