HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 13, 2003, 02:39 AM
Honolulu Intl, Hawaii, United States
Joined Feb 2003
1,502 Posts
what spec power supply for Triton charger?

Hey guys, I just ordered a triton charger and plan on going to Lipo soon, anyway, I'm gonna head to Radio Shack to get a 12v power supply and I was just wondering what amperage and voltage converter I will need... Thanks!
Astro30 is offline Find More Posts by Astro30
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2003, 03:21 AM
Oregon Coast
Joined Apr 2003
28 Posts
There are dfferent opinions but the manual calls for at least 13.5 amps, I think. I'd get a 15 amp charger and not worry about it. Why some people want to run a Triton on a 5 amp charger just because you can under most situations, doesn't make it the right charger!
mvelia is offline Find More Posts by mvelia
Old May 13, 2003, 03:51 AM
MSB
Brooklyn, NYC
Joined Nov 2001
210 Posts
I never charge anything over 5 amps, so I went here:

http://www.happcontrols.com/

and bought part#80-0215-00

It's only 10 amps, but it's cheap, and works great.

- Mark
MSB is offline Find More Posts by MSB
Old May 13, 2003, 04:48 AM
Joined Feb 2003
1,502 Posts
Thanks a lot guys! phew, lucky thing I didnt pick up that Rat Shack 3 amp converter... thanks MSB, I think I'm going to pick up that converter you suggested, I'll also never charge over 5 amps so that should be perfect for me....
Old May 13, 2003, 08:03 AM
United States, NY, Spencerport
Joined Oct 2001
2,801 Posts
Be careful about saying, "I will never charge at over 5 Amps, so..." If you charge more than 7 cells at 5 Amps, you're going to overload a 5 Amp power supply, and probably destroy it!

The Triton, like many other chargers, uses voltage booster circuits to charge packs with 8 cells or more. To boost the voltage, the charger draws a higher current at 12V from the power supply. It's all about Power In = Power Out.

Here's a simple equation for sizing power supplies:

Amps = <number of cells in your biggest pack> * <highest current you will charge at> / 6
mkirsch1 is offline Find More Posts by mkirsch1
Old May 13, 2003, 01:39 PM
Joined Feb 2003
1,502 Posts
ok, let's say for instance I charged an 8 cell pack at 5 amps or a 10 or 12 cell pack at 5 amps, should I be pretty safe with the 10 amp power supply?
Old May 13, 2003, 07:50 PM
Cambridge MA USA
Joined Apr 2003
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MSB
It's only 10 amps, but it's cheap, and works great.
This is cheaper, and is rated for 12 amps constant:

http://store.yahoo.com/bsless/ps14kx.html

Here's an 18 amp constant supply if you want to spend a little more:

http://store.yahoo.com/bsless/ps21kx.html

I use the PS14KX with my Triton.
nollie is offline Find More Posts by nollie
Old May 14, 2003, 08:36 AM
Joined Oct 2001
2,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Astro30
ok, let's say for instance I charged an 8 cell pack at 5 amps or a 10 or 12 cell pack at 5 amps, should I be pretty safe with the 10 amp power supply?
Let's do the math:

12 * 5 Amps / 6 = 10 Amps

FYI, my formula is designed with a safety factor built in. Truthfully, you only need 8 or 9 Amps, but you don't want to run a power supply at or near its limits all the time.
Old May 14, 2003, 09:37 AM
MSB
Brooklyn, NYC
Joined Nov 2001
210 Posts
I'm curious how you derived that formula. You're "kind of" dividing watts by a constant??

Thanks,

- Mark
MSB is offline Find More Posts by MSB
Old May 15, 2003, 10:31 AM
Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
16 Posts
Thanks for the link Nollie! http://store.yahoo.com/bsless/ps14kx.html I ordered the 12 amp one for my Triton yesterday at 2:00 pm paid the ground shipping...expecting it to be here next week....well my wife called this morning and it was at home wow! from New York to Colorado overnight? that's one quick ground service!! Will try it out tonight! Jeff.
Sodflyer is offline Find More Posts by Sodflyer
Old May 15, 2003, 04:07 PM
Joined Oct 2001
2,801 Posts
The formula is derived from the classic "Power In = Power Out" forumula, with some assumptions regarding losses and overhead.

Vin * Iin = Vout * Iout

some simple algebra:

Iin = Vout * Iout / Vin

Vin = 12V, from the power supply. I assumed 12V even though many power supplies actually provide 12.8V or even 13.6V, because of unknown losses in the system.
Vout = 2V * the number of cells. I used 2V because I knew that the FMA SuperNova maxes out at 1.75V per cell when charging. I made an educated guess about losses and overhead, and rounded to 2V per cell.
Iout = Charge rate you program into your charger.

The equation then looked like this:

Iin = 2V * <number of cells> * <charge current> / 12V

I promoted this equation for a while, then discovered that the Volts units cancel each other out, and that 2/12 is 1/6. Hence the equation:

Iin = <number of cells> * <charge current> / 6

If you do the math on the maximum charging capability of the Triton or SuperNova (e.g. 25 cells @ 3A), you'll see my formula comes very close to the recommendations in the instruction manual.
Last edited by mkirsch1; May 15, 2003 at 04:09 PM.
Old May 15, 2003, 04:25 PM
Joined Feb 2003
1,502 Posts
Ok? Man it's been too long since I been out of school....
Old May 15, 2003, 04:28 PM
Joined Feb 2003
1,502 Posts
Shucks, my order went out before I could change but hopefully everything will work out.

Maybe I'll just charge at 4-4.5 amps to be safe.

Actually how will that work for lithium polymer cells?

I'm making the switch really soon...
Old Jun 01, 2003, 04:56 PM
Utah
Joined May 2003
78 Posts
First of all, thanks for the info here... Very helpful.

After doing a brief search for perhaps a cheaper price (after $10 S&H) for the Phoenix 12 Amp powersupply Nollie pointed out above, I only found one place that would perhaps be cheaper, but considering it was advertised as a "12 Amplifier" powersupply, I was a tad bit worried.

Thanks, thanks to this thread, I'll probably have a Triton and PS14KX in hand by the end of the week.
bakerzdosen is offline Find More Posts by bakerzdosen
Old Jun 04, 2003, 04:25 AM
Toledo, OH
Joined Jun 2003
10 Posts
Inexpensive 12V supply

I'm just getting started in e-helis, and I purchased a Triton too. I searched for a bargain 12V 13A supply as specified in the manual, and found a great value on eBay. Two different sellers are offering used Cosel / Elco switching supplies for US$17.99 (one charges $8 for shipping, the other charges $10). Mine arrived in seemingly like-new condition, and it works great with the Triton. It has screw terminals for input and output, so I just needed to get an AC cord and some crimp-on ring terminals. Being a switching supply (as opposed to a regulated linear supply) it's about half the size of the Pyramid. Highly recommended.

eBay search

Tech data

arteitle@yahoo.com
arteitle is offline Find More Posts by arteitle
Last edited by arteitle; Jun 04, 2003 at 04:36 AM.