SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 08, 2010, 07:30 PM
Joined Dec 2009
38 Posts
Help!
what do i need for wild hawk upgrade?

hi sorry i was wondering i have a wild hawk but i want to upgrade it and put ailerons, a brushless motor, and a lipo battery i know rcpowers has videos of it. but it doesnt really go through all the stuff they had so my questions are:
1. for the servos i want to put 1 servo per wing for the ailerons. is there some sort of Y connecter for the 2 servos to fin in 1 channel on the receiver if so were can i get one?
2. for the brushless motor what do u recommend along with were i can get it
3. where can i get a good speed controller? for the motor or should i get the combo pack?
4. what is the best lipo that fits the motor an what is the best balance charger u recommend and were can i get it?
thanks for your help bye!
joshuablume is offline Find More Posts by joshuablume
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2010, 08:04 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuablume View Post
hi sorry i was wondering i have a wild hawk but i want to upgrade it and put ailerons, a brushless motor, and a lipo battery i know rcpowers has videos of it. but it doesnt really go through all the stuff they had so my questions are:
Eh, Dave at RC Powers tends to not go over all the fine details. kinda a guessing game..

Quote:
1. for the servos i want to put 1 servo per wing for the ailerons. is there some sort of Y connecter for the 2 servos to fin in 1 channel on the receiver if so were can i get one?
I suggest using HXT900 servos for the entire plane, and ditching the slow junkers on the tail.

Y-Harness' are available pretty much everywhere. Your LHS should carry them. Also, for the best place to get stuff like that, look around on http://www.rcaccessory.com/

Quote:
3. where can i get a good speed controller? for the motor or should i get the combo pack?
4. what is the best lipo that fits the motor an what is the best balance charger u recommend and were can i get it?!
Check around the Multiplex Easy Star threads. The Wild Hawk is pretty much a clone of it, and all the same equipment everyone uses in their Easy Stars will drop right into a Wild Hawk.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Jan 09, 2010, 02:44 AM
McLoud, Ok
Joined Jul 2009
7 Posts
Dave's website has all the info, scroll down towards the bottom he has links to the motor and servos.

http://www.rcpowers.com/forum/blog.p...=wildhawk&u=27
flyingbavarian is offline Find More Posts by flyingbavarian
Old Mar 03, 2010, 01:04 AM
UH-1 Gunship, AH-1G jock 69-71
So Cal ... Kingdom of Taxes
Joined Nov 2008
443 Posts
From A to Z upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuablume View Post
4. what is the best lipo that fits the motor an what is the best balance charger u recommend and were can i get it?
thanks for your help bye!
I used a TowerPro 1500kv "CDROM" style Brushless motor with 14 guage wires extended to the cockpit where the ESC will be, 3 degrees down thrust mounting to a 3/16" aircraft plywood circular mount 31mm in diameter inserted into the stock motor pod, 25A EMAX ESC, 1500mAh 3S LiPO,6x5.5 APC-E, increased rudder 100%, no increased Elevator (doesn't need it) and longer ailerons with RECESSED servos oh and 2 oz of Linotype lead in the nose (this plane is horribly tail heavy even stock setup).

Since the plane is held together with double sided tape, use a heat gun on VERY low to "warm up" the top of the fuselage and pry apart the taped area with a pocket knife from the cockpit to the motor pod, hold apart with Popsicle sticks. Take out the stock brushed motor, use a small point 15w soldering pen to widen the wire way from the motor area all the way to the cockpit wide enough for three wires. Widen the inside of the motor pod to accept the TowerPro 30mm brushless motor and CA the 31mm motor mount Plywood circle into the motor pod. (PRE drill the plywood motor mount with the mounting holes for the new motor)

I like the Hitec Micro 6 Rx, auto switching and has a 1.5-mile range for high soaring. You'll need the 6 channels if you're adding ailerons as we did.

Big suggestion, use near boiling water to "curl up" the wing tips into sligh winglets for added stability, ala the Easy Star.
makeitworst is offline Find More Posts by makeitworst
Old Jun 09, 2010, 05:08 PM
not landing
florida
Joined Jun 2010
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitworst View Post
I used a TowerPro 1500kv "CDROM" style Brushless motor with 14 guage wires extended to the cockpit where the ESC will be, 3 degrees down thrust mounting to a 3/16" aircraft plywood circular mount 31mm in diameter inserted into the stock motor pod, 25A EMAX ESC, 1500mAh 3S LiPO,6x5.5 APC-E, increased rudder 100%, no increased Elevator (doesn't need it) and longer ailerons with RECESSED servos oh and 2 oz of Linotype lead in the nose (this plane is horribly tail heavy even stock setup).

Since the plane is held together with double sided tape, use a heat gun on VERY low to "warm up" the top of the fuselage and pry apart the taped area with a pocket knife from the cockpit to the motor pod, hold apart with Popsicle sticks. Take out the stock brushed motor, use a small point 15w soldering pen to widen the wire way from the motor area all the way to the cockpit wide enough for three wires. Widen the inside of the motor pod to accept the TowerPro 30mm brushless motor and CA the 31mm motor mount Plywood circle into the motor pod. (PRE drill the plywood motor mount with the mounting holes for the new motor)

I like the Hitec Micro 6 Rx, auto switching and has a 1.5-mile range for high soaring. You'll need the 6 channels if you're adding ailerons as we did.

Big suggestion, use near boiling water to "curl up" the wing tips into sligh winglets for added stability, ala the Easy Star.
how big are your ailerons now that they are extended
wbeers690 is offline Find More Posts by wbeers690
Old Jun 12, 2010, 06:57 PM
not landing
florida
Joined Jun 2010
30 Posts
if you wire two lipos to the speed control together in parallel does that make them works less to get the same result and in return not heat up as much
Old Jun 12, 2010, 10:43 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,432 Posts
Well yes, but they have to be the same capacity, same cell count, usually the same brand, and about the same age/useage level. They should be balanced as close as possible to each other.

It's easier to get a bigger-capacity pack, or one with a higher discharge ("C") rating. You might also have your motor overpropped, which will work the battery harder than it should be working, all the while decreasing performance, killing you pack, and possibly damaging the motor. I'm just guessing here....
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Jun 13, 2010, 08:46 AM
not landing
florida
Joined Jun 2010
30 Posts
ya i am careful with the prop. i used the chart that came with the motor to make sure i didnt go over board on it but i have two of the EXACT same batteries and it turns out that with both of them in the nose the plane is PERFECTLY balanced so i was thinkin well hell if i just wire them both in i can glide around all day.. just wondering if the C rating being double.. its 25 now.. will burn out my electronics
Old Jun 13, 2010, 12:44 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,432 Posts
Have no fear. Nothing will fry as long as the voltage stays the same as a regular 3S lipo. See, the motor and electronics are what draw the current. The battery doesn't (and can't) force current through the system. In other words the system will take only what it needs, and no more.

You could just as easily run a 10000mAh 40C pack, as long as it was still only 3 cells (12.6V fully charged).

Wait... Hold on... So the individual packs' C rating is 25? What's the capacity?
Old Jun 13, 2010, 01:28 PM
not landing
florida
Joined Jun 2010
30 Posts
its a 1500 mah.. so together it would be 3000 mah and would fly for ever lol
Old Jun 13, 2010, 08:46 PM
Joined Aug 2009
12,432 Posts
So it's two individual 1500mAh 25C packs? That'll give you 37.5A constant per pack, so wired in parallel they'll give you 75A max draw.... Plenty

To find your rough total runtime first find the average draw of your motor (let's say 15A). 3000mAh will run something at 3A for one hour, or 6A for half an hour etc. At an average draw of 15A you'd have about 12 minutes, but it's bad to run your packs completely dead so about 10 minutes is reasonable.

However, I just used 15A to make the mental calculations easier for me You'll probably be running much less power than that so your runtime will go up significantly. If you can tell me your motor/prop combination I can probably figure it out for you It's good to keep the mind sharp doing other peoples' calculations
Old Jun 13, 2010, 08:56 PM
not landing
florida
Joined Jun 2010
30 Posts
well if you insist lol.. its a 20 amp speed controll on a 400 parkjet motor (microjetv3 by grayson hobby) and its got a 6by4 on the back and its a plane that doesnt need much to stay up in the air