SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 08, 2010, 05:47 PM
Joined Apr 2006
44 Posts
Discussion
Nine eagles solo pro II Vs CB100

Dear helipals, my question is as simple as, probably, complicated; I hope you can help me to chose on of these micro choppers...
Which one is more enjoyable? -easy to hover and fly, flight time performances, response, solid facing crashes, able to fly outdoors etc-

Best wishes and of course, happy new year to all of you from Madrid, Spain.
batracio is offline Find More Posts by batracio
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2010, 06:50 AM
MicroHelis-Humanoid Robotics
Joined Jul 2007
233 Posts
I've been considering both helis myself,but will definitely go for the NE Pro, NE quality durability and performance is outstanding..walkera just scares me of bad parts or things go wrong fast, I also think the lighter Pro is easier and more friendly than the CB100 plus a better price tag.

maybe after I get bored with the pro I'd get the CB100, but for now it is NE Pro all the way!
PicooMan is offline Find More Posts by PicooMan
Old Jan 09, 2010, 10:09 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,469 Posts
THey both have the same head design and pretty close to the same flight properties.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jan 09, 2010, 10:12 AM
TREE TOP PILOT
United States, IN, Greenfield
Joined Feb 2007
1,798 Posts
There is no comparison cb100 is better in every way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicooMan View Post
I've been considering both helis myself,but will definitely go for the NE Pro, NE quality durability and performance is outstanding..walkera just scares me of bad parts or things go wrong fast, I also think the lighter Pro is easier and more friendly than the CB100 plus a better price tag.

maybe after I get bored with the pro I'd get the CB100, but for now it is NE Pro all the way!
crashdumby is online now Find More Posts by crashdumby
Old Jan 09, 2010, 06:19 PM
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined May 2007
596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashdumby View Post
There is no comparison cb100 is better in every way.
Do you have both???
airheli1201 is offline Find More Posts by airheli1201
Old Jan 09, 2010, 06:45 PM
Yorkshire, UK
Joined Feb 2007
888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airheli1201 View Post
Do you have both???
Good question.

Crash - do you, in fact, have both?

If so, it would be interesting to hear your evaluation of each of them, and your reasons for coming down firmly in favour of the cb100. Many of us out here are torn between the two, and wonder if it is worth paying twice as much for the Walkera.

An informed opinion would be appreciated.
ranavalona is online now Find More Posts by ranavalona
Old Jan 10, 2010, 02:31 AM
Joined Apr 2006
44 Posts
Ok, itīs enough... Thanks for all the comments; Iīve already ordered my Nine Eagles
batracio is offline Find More Posts by batracio
Old Jan 10, 2010, 02:37 AM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,371 Posts
The Nine Eagles can't come close to the CB100.
One is a Toy Grade and the other is Hobby Grade.
I have Tested Both.
-JohnW
johnIn2SonAZ is offline Find More Posts by johnIn2SonAZ
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 10, 2010, 06:16 AM
fi1
Joined Dec 2009
9 Posts
glad to hear that John, ive justed ordered a cb100 after playing with a nine eagles solo.
fi1 is offline Find More Posts by fi1
Old Jan 10, 2010, 09:53 AM
Joined Jan 2010
11 Posts
In what ways are the CB100 superior to the Solo Pro? What do you mean by hobby vs toy grade?
Kim2010 is offline Find More Posts by Kim2010
Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:59 AM
I'm a...rocket, man.
Pennsyltucky
Joined Dec 2008
101 Posts
'Toy Grade' generally refers to the crap sold at mall kiosks, walmart, radio snack, etc. The Solo Pro is definitely not toy grade even if some feel it's below a CB100. Replacement parts are available for the Solo Pro and it's not a 'throwaway' heli. Toy grade stuff isn't meant to be fixed or repaired. It's disposable.
pelon717 is offline Find More Posts by pelon717
Old Jan 19, 2010, 03:23 PM
Joined Dec 2008
26 Posts
I've flown both (and I have the solo pro) and I do indeed think the cb100 might be a tad nice - it as real mirco servo's, and is less twitchy, and they've changed teh fly-bar angle to 45 degrees...so it's just as stable, but I think the extra weight makes it even more stable...however in high speed crashes that extra weight can hurt it...
mattds is offline Find More Posts by mattds
Old Jan 19, 2010, 06:27 PM
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined May 2007
596 Posts
I picked the solo pro over the CB100(should arrive by weekend). I think either way you will be happy. When you compare anything, there is always one better so if you only have one and can't compare, you will be happy and enjoy flying it. Both helis have good reviews. For a person like me who is learning new flying patterns, being durable is very important so that is why I picked the pro.
I think Solo pro will feel like a toy grade because it's make from plastic to keep the light weight.
airheli1201 is offline Find More Posts by airheli1201
Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:21 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,167 Posts
I have got both at around the same time and they do not fly the same. The Solo Pro is definitely designed for the mass toy market whereas the CB100 for the hobbyist market.

I would think that the Solo Pro is suitable for the complete beginnner who does not want to start off with a co-axial. Wherease the CB100 is for more experienced flyers.

My initial impressions is that the Solo is easier to fly but it could be due to the fact that the Walkera does not have dual rates or exponential. Consequently, the CB100 feels quite twitchy at first.

The Solo Pro is almost completely indestructible. Almost every part, including the flybar is made of highly flexible plastic. Following a crash when it is lying on its side, you can get it to fly again just by opening the throttle. The heli would stand up and then fly off!

However, I found that it is difficult to control precisely in flight. Whereas, you can get much more precision with the CB100.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Feb 18, 2010, 08:20 PM
St. Louis, Missouri
Joined Jan 2010
619 Posts
Recieved my NE Solo Pro I...

1. The Pitch Trim Adjustment is stuck on the transmitter and will not permit me to adjust for forward/backward flight. I am asking Ronald at CY-Model to replace the transmitter. Everything else on the transmitter works fine. I am waiting for his reply, and sincerely hope he will make good on my request.

2. I noticed that the helicopter does list to the right, and it's most noticeable in hover...but, I knew about that when I did my research. I would prefer it hang straight, but I can't say I wasn't warned. If anyone knows of a fix to that condition, please advise.

3. There is a relatively frequent wobble condition when coming back into hover after making an abrupt directional change. This is a behavior that I do not experience with the MSR, and one that I feel is possibly a defect in the design. I DON"T LIKE IT!

But, that having been said, due to the intended purpose of this helicopter to entertain the pilot, and mimic the flight characteristics of more expensive helicopters, while also providing durability in multiple crash situations, the reduced weight and head speed that's inherent in the plastic design probably contributes to this wobbling condition.

With regard to the wobble, there is probably a relatively simply fix to the problem. Anybody have any ideas? Initially, I thought to check the tightness of the blades, but the blades do not appear to be the issue, as the blades are locked pretty tightly into a shoe within the blade holder, and then screwed down from the side. The blades aren't going anywhere.

I appreciate the advantage of plastic as it relates to crashing and avoiding the otherwise certain detrimental effects of comparatively higher head speed forces found in other models, but I do not appreciate the plastics effect upon the helis command of the airspace it occupies.

The Solo Pro is constructed of very pliable plastic. I do think this is a very durable helicopter. It handles differently than the MSR, which I experience as being less predictable for me than the NE Solo Pro. But, when crashing, it is similar to the MSR in that you can fly it into almost anything and come away without any issues.

The landing gear does seem fragile in comparison to most I've seen, certainly much more than the MSR. But, I've crashed it already a number of times, and so far, I haven't had any issues with the landing gear. I am waiting to be disappointed however, because they do appear to be flimsy. But, pliability is really the key. If many guys are breaking the landing skids, then I suspect that even a simple change in materials (ie: even greater pliability), and no change in design, would likely solve the problem of delicate landing skids.

I don't own a CB100, but I suspect the NE Solo Pro handles more similarly to the CB100 than it does to the MSR, and that it provides a more "familiar" or "anticipated" range of flight characteristics that mimic the CB100, more so than the MSR. I suspect that this is partly due to it's size and head development being more similar to the CB100 than the MSR.

The NE Solo Pro seems like it would fly with less stability than you might find in the CB100 due to the nature of the two beasts, one being plastic, the other being constructed of much heavier and more rigid parts, aluminum. I've been told that the CB100 is more susceptible to damage when crashing, and now, after having held the Solo Pro in my hands, and feeling it's almost feather like composition, I suspect that the NE Solo Pro will survive crashes with almost NO ISSUES compared to the CB100.

While I think that the survivability of the NE Solo Pro is preferable to newbies such as myself, it's kind of like driving an American Motors Gremlin versus an inexpensive model Audi (ie: NE Solo Pro Versus CB100). I don't know this for sure, in that I don't yet own a CB100, but that's the impression I get from the substantive composition of the NE Solo Pro as I hold it in hand, handle it, and fly it around, with nothing more than the physical appearance of the CB100 to compare it to, not having actually handled or flown a CB100.

My initial impressions are that I would be prouder to be flying a CB100, possibly more confident in the quality of it's flight performance by far, but significantly more remorseful when crashing it. Funny how that works...there is always a trade-off when seeking durability.

I'm kind of disappointed by the NE Solo Pro when flying it, feeling like it's kind of a toy, sort of inconsequential in the air, and not a precision manufactured machine in command of the air space like I envision the CB100 to be. I categorize the Solo Pro as more of a "Meek Toy" versus "Dominant Machine." I don't mean that as a criticism of the Solo Pro, but simply an observation...because, I think there is a definite place for the NE Solo Pro compared to the CB100.

I don't think the NE Solo Pro is in reality a cheap toy, but it kind of feels like one, and flies with less authority like a cheap toy might. At the same time, it mimics the flight characteristics of more precision made helis just enough, characteristics that are inherent in other, more expensive brands, with stronger parts, better flying brands, but also much more fragile brands, that it has it's definite niche. I don't really believe there exists a more desirable brand of helicopter to fit it's niche than the Solo Pro, including the MSR.

I think it's been engineered to take a beating from crashes, and in that endeavor, I think Nine Eagles did the best they could do. The Solo Pro can fly into walls, hit the furniture, the ceilings, the kitchen cabinets, THE WIFE , the cat, the dog, the bird cage, the kids, the grand kids etc...and survive with almost no discernible down time. That's a tall order if you're trying to build-in durability and appearance, and not wanting to sacrifice too much in the way of performance. With durability comes some unavoidable trade-offs.

The Solo Pro has some relatively sloppy tolerances with respect to the plastic parts, and some of the small areas on the plastic parts are just too fragile to be manipulated. So, modifications, or adjustments of things like the servo rods are done at your own risk, with the ball linkages being somewhat flimsy, and susceptible to breakage if manipulating them by hand. This fragile nature doesn't really translate to crashing however. It seems to sustain what we be classified as catastrophic crashing with little if any effect upon the intricate plastic internal mechanisms.

So, if your interest is in doing mods, the Solo Pro is simply not going to satisfy that need unless you completely replace the plastic parts with aluminum. And, in addition, I think it will also be wise to keep a supply of parts on hand if you do intend to make any hand adjustments to areas like the swashplate, etc...anyplace where the ball linkages are concerned, as they are quite fragile to hand manipulation due to thin and weak plastic ball linkage areas.

I really do think I have a heli that will help me to progress with less interruption to the learning process from the inevitable crashing that all newbies experience. But, I have to admit, when flying it, that there is just a slight disappointment in it's command of the air space...Same goes for the MSR to some extent, but the MSR seems more aerodynamic than the Solo Pro, and I don't feel that it as lacking in that same regard.

I look forward to the day when my skill level with make me eligible to upgrade my equipment, and enjoy the totality of the flying experience with the best performing, most attractive helicopters money can buy. That's the Brass Ring, and the Solo Pro will help me achieve that.
QuizCat is offline Find More Posts by QuizCat
Last edited by QuizCat; Feb 19, 2010 at 08:11 AM.