HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 12, 2003, 09:49 PM
United States, MI, Commerce Charter Township
Joined Dec 2000
1,317 Posts
Oh No-Here we go again!

The wires are carrying a new story-there have been 3 terror bombings in Saudi Arabia. Apparently the targets were compounds in a gated community for western corporate exec types. The bulk are said to be Brits and French, but that Americans lived there too. There are 3 dead and more than 50 wounded at present.

Well, what next?

Dave
Dave Campbell is offline Find More Posts by Dave Campbell
Old May 12, 2003, 10:36 PM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
Reminded me of the time the Puerto Rican terrorists bombed the Mobil headquarters in NY City the day after I had a visited there. One killed as I recall. Clinton pardoned all of the bombers on his last day.
Big Foot 48 is offline Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Old May 12, 2003, 10:41 PM
Canada, NS, Lunenburg
Joined Oct 1999
3,867 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way. There's no way that I support such a terrorist act.

But...

What else did you expect to happen next? Such an attack was inevitable. Those opposed to American imperialism have little option. They either fight back the only way they can or they knuckle under. British experience in Ireland, Jewish experience in Palestine and Spanish experience in the Basque region should have prepared the world for this attack.

There will be many more. I wonder where the next one will be?
DaveSawers is offline Find More Posts by DaveSawers
Old May 12, 2003, 11:38 PM
Administrator
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Nov 1998
5,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveSawers
Such an attack was inevitable. Those opposed to American imperialism have little option. They either fight back the only way they can or they knuckle under.
I'm opposed to Canadian imperialism. What do you recommend?

Jim
jbourke is offline Find More Posts by jbourke
Administrator
Old May 13, 2003, 02:01 AM
Melbourne, Victoria, Oz.
Joined Oct 2000
315 Posts
First you villanise them, constantly and remorselessly. In this process you make an ironclad case (with supporting powerpoint presentation) that they are supporters of terrorisim and that with their weapons they pose a real and lasting threat to your way of life, then you bomb them back to the stone age. Easy as that.

hugh
Oneson1 is offline Find More Posts by Oneson1
Last edited by Oneson1; May 13, 2003 at 02:05 AM.
Old May 13, 2003, 08:19 AM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Oneson1
First you villanise them, constantly and remorselessly. In this process you make an ironclad case (with supporting powerpoint presentation) that they are supporters of terrorisim and that with their weapons they pose a real and lasting threat to your way of life, then you bomb them back to the stone age. Easy as that.
What else do you expect to happen next? Such a response is inevitable. Those dedicated to defending American security have little option. They either deter terrorism the only way they can or they knuckle under. British actions in the Falklands, UN actions in the Balkans, and American actions in Afganistan and Iraq have prepared the world for this response.
Karl Bē is offline Find More Posts by Karl Bē
Old May 13, 2003, 09:32 AM
Mr Mootsie
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,566 Posts
Quote:

There will be many more. I wonder where the next one will be?
Calgary, Canada. Perhaps then you'll get it.
Tim Jonas is online now Find More Posts by Tim Jonas
Old May 13, 2003, 09:48 AM
Suspended Account
land of permaban
Joined Jul 2001
181 Posts
The few allies we didnt alienate in the runup to war will now be targeted in a divide and conquer tactic. These attacks will remain for a time on foreign soil. When our allies worried about this, we poopooed them. They had a right to discuss what effect our actions would have on them.Eventually it will land here again. I feel safer already.
Gman2 is offline Find More Posts by Gman2
Old May 13, 2003, 09:48 AM
Canada, NS, Lunenburg
Joined Oct 1999
3,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MrMootsie
Calgary, Canada. Perhaps then you'll get it.
Oh. I get it alright. But you know what? There won't be any attacks in Canada.
DaveSawers is offline Find More Posts by DaveSawers
Old May 13, 2003, 09:52 AM
Mr Mootsie
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,566 Posts
Quote:
Oh. I get it alright. But you know what? There won't be any attacks in Canada.
yeah, you are probably right. Canada isn't relevant on the international level.
Tim Jonas is online now Find More Posts by Tim Jonas
Old May 13, 2003, 09:53 AM
Function Over Form
Connecticut
Joined Feb 2000
1,043 Posts
Who are you kidding? Your a westerner, and an ally of the USA, supposedly.
For a terrorist though, why strike Canada when the holy grail of everything western is a few miles south.

The attitude of, "they wont attack us, so we don't care", is a prime reason we snubbed the UN and everyone else who would not help us.

Im going to save your post, print it out, so the day when they DO attack you, I can remind you.
BillH is offline Find More Posts by BillH
Old May 13, 2003, 10:44 AM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
Canada will never be attacked as they are the open gateway to immigrant terrorists everywhere who can then filter across the border into the US. Even terrorists don't want to bite the hand that feeds them!
Big Foot 48 is offline Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Old May 13, 2003, 11:48 AM
Administrator
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Nov 1998
5,414 Posts
Dave, do you feel that the US is to blame for these attacks? And, if so, how do you differentiate that feeling from "supporting" the attacks?

Also, you said:

Quote:
Those opposed to American imperialism have little option. They either fight back the only way they can or they knuckle under.
To which I replied:

Quote:
I'm opposed to Canadian imperialism. What do you recommend?
I'd like to see if you can be consistent and agree that if terrorism is the only option for people opposed to the US then it must be the only option for people opposed to Canada and any other nation that involves itself in world politics and/or commerce.

Also, you say an attack will not occur in Canada. That is absurd. Osama bin Laden has directly threatened Canada.

Osama isn't fair. He doesn't hate the US for a good reason. He doesn't hate Canada for a good reason. The people following Osama are not LOGICAL or JUST. They are not acting against the west as a last resort. They are doing it to preserve a fanatical religious system that will resist westernization and democracy until it is finally defeated.

Jim
jbourke is offline Find More Posts by jbourke
Administrator
Old May 13, 2003, 11:54 AM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jbourke

.... They are doing it to preserve a fanatical religious system that will resist westernization and democracy until it is finally defeated.

Jim
This is wrong.
These groups will resist FOREVER!
The only way to eliminate the threat is to eliminate the mindset that sees things the way these people do.
That is impossible!
Sparky Paul is online now Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old May 13, 2003, 11:55 AM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
>> Those opposed to American imperialism have little option.

Imperialism: The policy of extending a nation's authority by territorial acquisition or by the establishment of economic and political hegemony over other nations.

A good example of imperialism would be the attempt by Iraq to acquire by force and absorb the territory of Kuwait.

It's obvious that the US is not out to acquire territory, or we would have started with the easiest and grabbed the lightly protected land to our north. And you certainly don't establish economic and political hegemony over other nations by encouraging the establishment of independent, democratic governments.

So whenever I hear anyone talking about "American imperialism," I know that someone has either misspoken or else they are representing a radical viewpoint that seeks to discredit the US by applying negative labels that do not by definition fit.
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Last edited by Dave Hederich; May 13, 2003 at 11:59 AM.