HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by CaptDH, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 11:06 AM
United States, CA, Downey
Joined Jun 2005
1,805 Posts
GWS used to be on the cutting edge with many new products but they droped the ball and lost customers to others and I can't find many who stock GWS any more! when did they release a new kit? too bad, I liked there products but now get products where I can... and I would think the AMA expo would be one of the places to be seen, I remember many vendors selling GWS and I only saw venders selling out GWS props etc, I do not think I saw even one Plane kit, what does that say?
Jcopter
Jcopter is offline Find More Posts by Jcopter
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2010, 02:39 PM
Lipo abuser ... smoke on!
Joined Feb 2005
1,911 Posts
I think it says they are hurting

I love my GWS planes. They are a great price for the plane that you get. I really hope that they get back into the swing of things soon.

Don
gp125racer is offline Find More Posts by gp125racer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: D100
Old Jan 12, 2010, 03:09 PM
United States, CA, Downey
Joined Jun 2005
1,805 Posts
Me Too!!! gp125 I like all the gws planes, and was looking forward to many new ones
hope some apear soon
Jcopter
Jcopter is offline Find More Posts by Jcopter
Old Jan 12, 2010, 08:26 PM
Joined Aug 2008
490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroplanes View Post
Nice video So did the videographer end up getting the Extra 300 you had hanging up I think you guys had a good set up. One of the better ones there IMO. My friend picked up the F16 EDF display model for $120 just before you closed. He just called me at work today to tell me how much he likes it hehe.
omnicomps is offline Find More Posts by omnicomps
Old Jan 12, 2010, 11:07 PM
most exalted one
BC Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,511 Posts
As far as the "family" thing I find when it becomes 30/couple $28/family of 4 it irritates me!!! Perhaps some break would be in order if it's a "real" family...
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:09 AM
North Tustin, CA
Joined Jan 2010
3 Posts
My son and I were first time attendees. We paid $13 at the door for me and my son was free; no complaints on price of admission from me. We stayed from noon til 5:30 on Saturday. I enjoyed everything except for the price of the convention center concessions; $5 is too much for a cookie and a Coke. However, price of concessions has nothing to do with AMA or the show. My son bargained down the price of the parkzone micro Sukhoi to $86 including tax and I bought a Hacker motor and some assorted tools and electronics. We also picked up lots of swag like magazines, Tx lanyards, rubber band planes, gliders and a rocket. We will be back next year and we may go to the Pomona show in March if we need more parts by then

Thanks to all who posted Friday evening, it helped me a lot to set my expectations and figure out what to look for since AMA site provided very little info.
RandyS is offline Find More Posts by RandyS
Old Jan 13, 2010, 01:04 PM
Orange County, CA
Joined Oct 2006
3 Posts
Good show for ARFs, not for Nostalgia

I thought this year was really missing balsa kits. I'm more of a builder than a flyer these days and there weren't any kits to speak of. Bob Holman wasn't even there with his short kit plans.

I probably won't be back since it's the same vendors and the focus isn't on builders.

I thought the speakers were a good addition although I didn't care for the content of the first couple of speakers on Saturday so I didn't hang around for the rest.

The cost of admission is fine although compared to RCX I'd choose the latter if I had to pick one.

I think the AMA definitely needs to shake things up.
jude is offline Find More Posts by jude
Old Jan 13, 2010, 05:21 PM
I need a bigger garage...
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2005
1,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jude View Post
I thought this year was really missing balsa kits. I'm more of a builder than a flyer these days and there weren't any kits to speak of. Bob Holman wasn't even there with his short kit plans.

I probably won't be back since it's the same vendors and the focus isn't on builders.

I thought the speakers were a good addition although I didn't care for the content of the first couple of speakers on Saturday so I didn't hang around for the rest.

The cost of admission is fine although compared to RCX I'd choose the latter if I had to pick one.

I think the AMA definitely needs to shake things up.
I wrote to the AMA contact about my disappointment with the content at the expo. The response I got was that they were trying to shake things up a bit by putting the speakers in instead of the seminars. In the past they have sent out requests for suggestions of the seminars people want to see and the response they received was very small. I guess the point is, it's our club so we should give our input to make it what we want it to be. Next year I plan to email they early with suggestion like bringing back the seminars and some topics.

As far as more focus on builders, I guess that's just the way the hobby is moving. I prefer building myself over ARF's any day. When I go to the show I always come home with parts but not planes. CF tubes, servos, receivers, batteries, props, etc...

Andy
ajreynolds is offline Find More Posts by ajreynolds
Old Jan 13, 2010, 07:37 PM
check for reversed controls
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
10,030 Posts
Nearly Everybody I saw including me had those 1/4 inch C F tubes from CST Composits in their mits.
alpea 41 is offline Find More Posts by alpea 41
Old Jan 13, 2010, 07:55 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wood View Post
Ray:

You might rethink that. I have the reins on flying toys at RCX like I do the AQMA Expo and have been working to expand the air side of the event. This year we have an outdoor heli demo that'll be running constantly just east of building 6, the aircraft building. Our primary disadvantage at the LA Co Fairgrounds is that we are directly under the final approach to Brackett Field just across the street from the drag strip. That puts a hard ceiling on the RXC airshows but we're working to use that airspace as much as possible without catching flak from them. I also want to fill building 6 with pilots to the point where there's no room for die cast.

mw
Well I'm just picky. Some of the car products are nice like the rock crawling display and the model tanks. Too bad they dont have model bulldozers and backhoes and a dirt pit to drive them through.

If you have any pull Mark get RC back into RCX and I'll come up to the show.

Missed you at the TPG meeting - Jason Lilly had the thundermaster on display.
rockbus is offline Find More Posts by rockbus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Multicopter News
Old Jan 13, 2010, 08:07 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpea 41 View Post
Nearly Everybody I saw including me had those 1/4 inch C F tubes from CST Composits in their mits.
My dad grabbed a couple of them too. Already have found a use for them
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Jan 13, 2010, 09:12 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbus View Post
Well I'm just picky. Some of the car products are nice like the rock crawling display and the model tanks. Too bad they dont have model bulldozers and backhoes and a dirt pit to drive them through.
I'll put in the suggestion with RCX brass.
Quote:
If you have any pull Mark get RC back into RCX and I'll come up to the show.
Shall I quote your quote?
Quote:
Missed you at the TPG meeting - Jason Lilly had the thundermaster on display.
Was worn out after last weekend and spent two days recuperating. I gotta get the calendar annotated for all the crap I'm up to this year.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jan 14, 2010, 04:56 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,799 Posts
No more brew for you Mark. I have been fighting the flu since I got back.
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Jan 14, 2010, 06:29 PM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
Also Assurance (Align) was not there, and they are local. I think the Scorpion booth was smaller. Hoffman was missing (but they are missing overall). I thought Sullivan was there last year.

I don't have the program from last year, but my impression was smaller and less attendance. Last year on Sat, it was hard to get through the aisles. This year, no problem.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old Jan 14, 2010, 10:57 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
^Hoffman went out of buisness
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..