HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by CaptDH, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 09, 2010, 06:42 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,404 Posts
The last time I recall AMA show being this small was when SFA was still around and had their show on the same weekend in Long Beach back in the 90's. Vendors were torn between the two shows so both end up small, so did attendance.
Steph280 is online now Find More Posts by Steph280
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2010, 09:54 AM
Team 3DHS, Hacker, Gens Ace
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Nov 2007
2,098 Posts
I've been going since the Pasadena days. This year is on par with the past 5 years IMO. Many of the same local hobby shops & vendors and some new ones. It's great to see ADChobbystore.com representing 3D Hobby Shop products. Castle & Neu have a great display.
The swap shop is back, that's an improvement for a lot of folks.

I'm going back today.
ipsmotors is offline Find More Posts by ipsmotors
Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:00 AM
Fullerton, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
344 Posts
kids prices?

just wondering if you guys knew what the prices were for kids
thanks
fleanme is offline Find More Posts by fleanme
Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:01 AM
Simi Valley, CA
Joined Jan 2010
1 Posts
I very much agree with Andy.

The speakers were fine, but they should have been in an auditorium, especially the Shuttle Commander.

I also missed the seminars. I mentioned this to some AMA folk who directed me to the office. They said they like to change things every year. Interesting.

I've been involved with many conventions on both coasts for another subculture.

The standard is to have multiple tracks with Major guests scheduled to speak away from the dealers room on their one highlighted track.

Additional tracks covering major themes e.g. howtos, technologies, manufacturers products, clubs run on both sides of the major guest talks.

Thus, I was a bit disappointed by this show. The flying demos were great though. Seems like the SCRA rocket building was a bit lacking in customers. I did see some families at the show, but mayhap not enough.

Damn economy ;-(

73 de Peter AI6PG
ai6pg is offline Find More Posts by ai6pg
Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:52 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleanme View Post
just wondering if you guys knew what the prices were for kids
thanks
$13 for AMA members, $15 for non members
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Jan 10, 2010, 11:01 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,616 Posts
Point to remember; If you renewed your membership online late in December like I did, your 2009 card will not qualify you for the lower member price. I brought along the receipt that their web site generates for you to print out as proof of membership for 2010 until your new card comes. It was NOT accepted as proof of membership at the door. Only a two dollar savings but kind of lame that they did that IMO. I would expect better from the AMA.
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2010, 11:30 AM
Joined Jan 2009
40 Posts
Any pictures of the XPS booth ?
They have some new 2,4 rxs
siedleri is offline Find More Posts by siedleri
Old Jan 10, 2010, 01:38 PM
Lipo abuser ... smoke on!
Joined Feb 2005
1,909 Posts
Sorry I didn't get pics but they did have a little area showing off their new 2.4 stuff.

Don
gp125racer is online now Find More Posts by gp125racer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: D100
Old Jan 10, 2010, 02:25 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARNESJONR View Post
Point to remember; If you renewed your membership online late in December like I did, your 2009 card will not qualify you for the lower member price. I brought along the receipt that their web site generates for you to print out as proof of membership for 2010 until your new card comes. It was NOT accepted as proof of membership at the door. Only a two dollar savings but kind of lame that they did that IMO. I would expect better from the AMA.
I preordered tickets 12/26 and they did not arrive so I called the AMA and they told me to skip the front ticket booths and go to room 104A which was the AMA guys and vendors etc. They had my tickets there for me. I'm pretty sure they would sell you tickets to AMA members if you for got your card.
rockbus is offline Find More Posts by rockbus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Multicopter News
Old Jan 10, 2010, 02:35 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ai6pg View Post
I very much agree with Andy.

The speakers were fine, but they should have been in an auditorium, especially the Shuttle Commander.

I also missed the seminars. I mentioned this to some AMA folk who directed me to the office. They said they like to change things every year. Interesting.

I've been involved with many conventions on both coasts for another subculture.

The standard is to have multiple tracks with Major guests scheduled to speak away from the dealers room on their one highlighted track.

Additional tracks covering major themes e.g. howtos, technologies, manufacturers products, clubs run on both sides of the major guest talks.

Thus, I was a bit disappointed by this show. The flying demos were great though. Seems like the SCRA rocket building was a bit lacking in customers. I did see some families at the show, but mayhap not enough.

Damn economy ;-(

73 de Peter AI6PG
I think the speakers location was fine. I think it made it more visible to the general public. I've helped with a few conventions (from a different topic) and hardly anyone attends the speaker seminars. Mainly friends or the sponsoring vendors but they rest of the general public are walking around collecting freebies or visiting with vendors.

A few years back I'd take my son and his cousins or friends to the show and they would all build rockets and rubber powered planes. They enjoyed the show cause they got to take somthing home, and I liked it cause it was the right price. The rocket and rubber plane areas seemed busy back then. Maybe people didnt know this year or like in our city you cant shoot rockets in the parks anymore.
rockbus is offline Find More Posts by rockbus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Multicopter News
Old Jan 10, 2010, 06:47 PM
San Diego, Ca
Joined Oct 2007
489 Posts
The show was not by any means drasticly smaller than last year. I think it had maybe 4 fewer booths out of.. 100 or more?

And the swap was back with a vengence, PACKED. In fact all of sat was very busy. It was definately "on par" with the last three years that I have gone... Onl thing I don;t know is how sales went, but I spend as much as I ususaly do
LAdams is offline Find More Posts by LAdams
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Decals!
Old Jan 10, 2010, 11:21 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2005
340 Posts
It may sound out of topic but generally which show you guys prefer, AMA or RCX show? My understanding is that the AMA is mainly concentrated on aerials and flying mechines but rcx is for general radio controlled machines, for some reason I've been more interested in rcx lately than AMA, even though I'm a plane and heli fan.
dareh is offline Find More Posts by dareh
Old Jan 10, 2010, 11:27 PM
Joined Aug 2008
490 Posts
This was my first AMA Expo and I thought it was great. The Trex was pretty cool at the demo area. That was a big Helli I noticed a lot of vendors wanted to get a jump on packing and started to pack up early. They even got on the PA to tell them not to pack up until the Expo was over. Airland hobbies was offering a 25% off discount and Neu was offering a 50% Off batteries. I got in a good day of flying and then got to enjoy the AMA Expo with 2 of my friends. Life is good I also got a few pictures of the Raffle and some of the displays.
omnicomps is offline Find More Posts by omnicomps
Old Jan 11, 2010, 03:35 AM
CERMARK
Joined Apr 2004
667 Posts
The estimated attendance was above 5,000 (confidential source). Not bad for an off year.
Steven Chao is offline Find More Posts by Steven Chao
Old Jan 11, 2010, 03:55 AM
United States, CA, Redlands
Joined Nov 2001
324 Posts
show

I been going to the show since 1991 and AMA is pricing themselves out! $400.00 for a booth,$25 for a chair,food,room,moving product into venue etc etc. All this do is keep the little guy out! This is a mama/papa/cottage business.
I would like to see more small company at the show with new product that their R/D came up with. Like one year CR Aircraft was there. Were they there this year? Why not! What happen to AstroFlight.
And the most important one of all,which should have been first is the NFL Playoffs. Football is first with most american males. I have asked the AMA people why have it on this date?
The RCX Show is at a time when there is nothing going on. And last $15.00 for this show is too much!!! By time a man move his people.. He will have to take out a home loan. All because he thinks there will be the latest and greatest there. The Show As I See It!! Late!
Lee R. Wheeler is offline Find More Posts by Lee R. Wheeler