HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 13, 2010, 04:58 PM
Walter Roos
Canton, Ga.
Joined Aug 2004
3,196 Posts
Bob,
20 g in the nose, and I thought my 15 g in the nose of my Taboo was a record. I don't want to be negative here but an extra inch of nose would help that glider a bunch, or is it just the super light radio gear we are now using. Granted I'm not sure what effect a longer nose would bring to the way the DLG flies, but I do know how much I hate to have to add non working weight to a DLG. Probably flies better on the heavy side anyway, but it would be best IMO, if the builder had the option.

Bob did you have to add nose weight to your Twister I?

Again, I know it's a great DLG, and I would like to have a couple of them myself, especially if (like Cliff) I could get his brother Bob, to build them for me.

walt

BTW That's an interesting Launch Blade reinforcement you have added. I suppose there's also a similar one on the bottom of the wing.
Buddy and I were flying with cliff, Lou and Clif's dog, Katana today and Cliff, I have Katana's water bowl she left at the field. Will bring to The Bruce.
ROOSWH is offline Find More Posts by ROOSWH
Last edited by ROOSWH; Jun 13, 2010 at 05:07 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2010, 05:57 PM
Bob W
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Jul 2003
922 Posts
Walt, you should get one. I will assemble it for you. I'm not too expensive..LOL. I like mine a little nose heavy BTW. The short nose is important with rotational inertia and handling.
Bob
tigroot is offline Find More Posts by tigroot
Old Jun 13, 2010, 06:13 PM
Cumming Ga
Joined Apr 2002
2,908 Posts
Had fun flying with the Roos Brothers and neighbor Lou today. Lift was good and I was able to thermal my T1 inverted while getting in a little practice for "The Bruce" next weekend.

BTW, my T1 has 1/4 oz in the nose and comes in at a little over 9 1/2 ounce.
atlav8r is offline Find More Posts by atlav8r
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 13, 2010, 06:48 PM
Walter Roos
Canton, Ga.
Joined Aug 2004
3,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigroot View Post
Walt, you should get one. I will assemble it for you. I'm not too expensive..LOL. I like mine a little nose heavy BTW. The short nose is important with rotational inertia and handling.
Bob
Hi Bob and Cliff,
Those things like "rotational inertia " I hear about from time to time, always leave me wondering just how important they really are, and would 25-35mm longer nose be such a bad thing, compared to losing the extra nose weight.
That's beyond my pay grade to establish for myself.

BTW If Cliff starts thermaling inverted at a contest, then I'll pay some attention.

walt
PS
Augered in my #2 after Cliff and lou went home, there was a bug on my cap bill, and I started messing with that instead of watching my DLG. Lucky only minor damage, hit the paved road and bounced up on the grass right of way.
ROOSWH is offline Find More Posts by ROOSWH
Old Jun 13, 2010, 07:05 PM
Maurice
Bakersfield, Cal.
Joined Jul 2004
1,098 Posts
>rotational inertia<

Some one please show me I'm wrong.

I understand shorting the fulcrum to increase the lifting force on the nose. But I would think you would have to shorten it a lot more than what was done to over come and extra 20g in the nose. Can the boom be shortened any to reduce the amount of nose weight required? 20g seems like a terrible waste.

Maurice
mpodder is online now Find More Posts by mpodder
Old Jun 13, 2010, 07:19 PM
Cumming Ga
Joined Apr 2002
2,908 Posts
Maurice, I have found that my T1 flys better if I load it up a bit so don't worry to much about adding some weight. Most days a 1oz slug in the tube and it really gets some legs.
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 13, 2010, 07:22 PM
Cumming Ga
Joined Apr 2002
2,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROOSWH View Post
BTW If Cliff starts thermaling inverted at a contest, then I'll pay some attention.

PS
Augered in my #2 after Cliff and lou went home, there was a bug on my cap bill, and I started messing with that instead of watching my DLG. Lucky only minor damage, hit the paved road and bounced up on the grass right of way.
Sorry about the crash Walt, that is why I quit when I was ahead today. To much 90 degree weather.
BTW, If you see me thermaling inverted at a contest.... stay away from me as it will not be on purpose ;-)
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 13, 2010, 07:42 PM
Bob W
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Jul 2003
922 Posts
I'm sure some has to do with gear selection..Lets say I change from my 2c 250 lipo which is on the small side to a 350..or perhaps use some 350mah round cells?
Bob
tigroot is offline Find More Posts by tigroot
Old Jun 14, 2010, 02:07 AM
Hurdegaryp Netherlands
Joined Feb 2007
393 Posts
The plane is designed for 4x 500 mah nimh cells which will balance the plane with just 2 or 3 grams lead and give flighttimes up to 4.5 hours and Yes the performance gains a lot with the short nose and i think in the future you will se more and even shorter noses on DLG's.
The freeflight guys knew this for years and use noses of only 4 inches.
Alex Hoekstra is offline Find More Posts by Alex Hoekstra
Old Jun 14, 2010, 08:43 AM
Maurice
Bakersfield, Cal.
Joined Jul 2004
1,098 Posts
Thanks for straightening me out Alex. I will be using a lighter battery so knowing your recommended CG will be very important to me.
I hope the next order to Cliff will be as many as originally projected or more (I'm at the bottom of the list) and coming soooooon!

Maurice
Old Jun 14, 2010, 09:04 AM
Cumming Ga
Joined Apr 2002
2,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpodder View Post
Thanks for straightening me out Alex. I will be using a lighter battery so knowing your recommended CG will be very important to me.
I hope the next order to Cliff will be as many as originally projected or more (I'm at the bottom of the list) and coming soooooon!

Maurice
You are #3 on the list Maurice ;-)
It should not be much longer
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:02 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,116 Posts
Can someone tell me how is the ballast tube secured in the model?

What keeps any DLG ballast tube from sliding forward on a dork landing?

thanks

(Really nice looking plane - can't wait to see one fly)
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:22 PM
Maurice
Bakersfield, Cal.
Joined Jul 2004
1,098 Posts
I hope there is one with red tips Cliff that hasnt already been claimed.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 02:29 PM
Maurice
Bakersfield, Cal.
Joined Jul 2004
1,098 Posts
Ive been flying mine for about a week. CG at 75mm and AUW of 270g. Unbelievable wind ship, launches higher than anything I have (again in the wind) but does not turn or climb as well as the Concept X. In light air with minimal wind it just doesn't seem to have the wing area to carry the weight. The minute the slightest breeze comes up it comes alive. Though it won the Swinging Denmark its interesting the comments that were made about the conditions of the first day (calm) and how hard it was to fly in. Its really ashame the plane only weighed 240g before adding 26g to the nose.

Conclusion: Great plane but more of a wind ship than an all around plane. Extremely CG sensitive and because of the short moment arm of the nose it requires a lot of nose weight. Yes I under stand it was designed for a 500 mha battery but that is still a lot of nose weight. I feel it does not track as well in turns as my Concept X, Fireworks 5 or my Low Wing Predator II. The only thing I can attribute this to is the short nose. You are limited to D47s in the fuse unless you are willing to make your own ballast system.

We will see how it does in a local contest a week from Saturday.

Just what I think
Maurice
Last edited by mpodder; Aug 19, 2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 03:50 PM
Aeromodeller by heart!
Herning, Denmark
Joined Dec 2002
634 Posts
Twister II at SWDK

Hi Maurice.

Yes, the conditions where tricky on the first day at our contest.
But if you look at the scores: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...=3405379&stc=1 P. Aarnen made 7 X 1000 in the eight rounds flown that day! He even ballasted his ship from time to time, just to reach those thermals 1/4 mile away from the field. I often chickend out,when trying to follow him on a run. He could pick up those small low level thermals he found out there, and the rest of us of just struggled just to find something closer to home, and thats why he won!

From my point of wiew the Twister II is a very competitive plane.
The trend in Europe is to carry ballast even in light conditions, and the Twister sure can carry and fly loaded.

RubSon
RubSon is offline Find More Posts by RubSon