HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2010, 03:22 PM
Hugh Blackburn
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2005
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard S View Post
You got to gap-seal all moldies, as there is quite a hollow area inside the hinge-line. It makes a HUGE difference to launch and sound. The Stobel 3 I have seen has a very ingenious built itn"gapless" seal on the ailerons.
I think Alex already suggested in this thread (?) to seal the gap with pre-cast-up fibreglass sheet cut into strips and 5-min epoxied into place. I did this and it definitely makes things quieter. I used 28gsm glass but 50gsm would be good. Make sure you wet it out well so the pores are all sealed. The strips I used were 17mm wide at the root and 15mm wide at the tips and there is about 10mm of this glued onto the flaperon, leaving 7-5mm to flex under the wing skin. You need a bit of ingenuity to hold the strip in place while the epoxy sets. Maybe some other glue would be better.

Another option you can use is mylar tape (e.g. reflective tape from car trim shops). You need to add non-stick backing over the RDS wire (e.g. just reverse some of the tape). I did that on my T1 but have since replaced with glass as above.

When I started this install I did find a manufacturing defect on my two planes - the top wing skin was hardly/not attached to the rear spar in places – the gap between the spar and the top skin is sealed with epoxy/balloons sploodge and there variously was not enough to reach or it didn't adhere. Fix with CA and/or more sploodge. This made the wing much more rigid especially near the tips.

Definitely reinforce around the launch blade. I do this job on every new DLG since I always seem to loosen the blade or tear it out. See earlier posts for an image on my T2s.

Still love this plane. Handling is GREAT.

Hugh
floquet is offline Find More Posts by floquet
Last edited by floquet; Oct 04, 2010 at 03:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2010, 03:50 PM
Hurdegaryp Netherlands
Joined Feb 2007
378 Posts
Gap can be sealed with any kind of polyester tape taping it on the aileron and putting it inside the gap. Put the ailerons down completely and let the tape stick about 2mm over the gap. The use a small screwdriver or anything that will fit to gide the tape under the glass lip. At the last 2 inches the gap becomes a bit small so there you can tape just a small piece on the wing over the gap.
@ Hugh,

The fibreglass was just a tip to fill up the RDS pocket if it would were out to prevent flutter .
Alex Hoekstra is offline Find More Posts by Alex Hoekstra
Old Oct 04, 2010, 03:55 PM
Hugh Blackburn
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2005
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Hoekstra View Post
@ Hugh,

The fibreglass was just a tip to fill up the RDS pocket if it would were out to prevent flutter .
Ha! Oh well. The glass tape I used does the trick! I will never get it off.

Thanks
Hugh
Old Oct 04, 2010, 04:09 PM
Walter Roos
Canton, Ga.
Joined Aug 2004
3,161 Posts
Thanks Alex.

Hugh,
You owe me a beer. I spent all the time since you posted, looking thru every Twister thread I could find, searching for Alex's how to on the Gap thing.

walt
ROOSWH is online now Find More Posts by ROOSWH
Old Oct 04, 2010, 04:26 PM
Hugh Blackburn
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2005
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROOSWH View Post
Thanks Alex.

Hugh,
You owe me a beer. I spent all the time since you posted, looking thru every Twister thread I could find, searching for Alex's how to on the Gap thing.

walt
No worries Walt. When I see you... just remind me!
Old Oct 04, 2010, 05:00 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,571 Posts
I did gap seals on my Twister, Geralds Twister, and about four other airplanes at the TS contest. There's a noticable difference in sound and launch height when gap sealed.

I used shiny celophane tape ($.62) and an old casette tape Bruce had in his flight box for wind direction.

It only takes a few minutes.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Oct 05, 2010, 01:06 AM
Joined Jul 2007
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Hoekstra View Post
Gap can be sealed with any kind of polyester tape taping it on the aileron and putting it inside the gap. Put the ailerons down completely and let the tape stick about 2mm over the gap. The use a small screwdriver or anything that will fit to gide the tape under the glass lip. At the last 2 inches the gap becomes a bit small so there you can tape just a small piece on the wing over the gap.
in addition talcum powder can be put on the sticky side of the tape (part that is inside the gap) after it is placed on the flap.

Bas
Bas B is offline Find More Posts by Bas B
Old Oct 24, 2010, 07:51 PM
Cumming Ga
Joined Apr 2002
2,864 Posts
Had a great time this weekend where the Twister 2 took first and second places. The thread is here and congratulations to Brother Bob for taking the honors at the last contest of the season.

I also got the gap sealing done on my T2, it took me a bit to get used to the lack of sound on launch but it does go higher.
CW
atlav8r is online now Find More Posts by atlav8r
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:03 AM
Walter Roos
Canton, Ga.
Joined Aug 2004
3,161 Posts
Flying High, The Whitney Brothers

Both Bob and Cliff were flying high this weekend at the 2010 Southside Punkin Chunk DLG Contest,
and their Twisters were flying high too.
Congratulations to Bob on his 1st place win and to Cliff on his 2nd place , flying Twisters.
Sorry I didn't think to get a picture of them with their DLGs

walt
Last edited by ROOSWH; Oct 25, 2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:15 PM
Děda
United States, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Aug 2006
47 Posts
Gap sealing

"Gap can be sealed with any kind of polyester tape taping it on the aileron and putting it inside the gap."
Can anybody post a picture?
Thanks,
itplachy is offline Find More Posts by itplachy
Old Oct 25, 2010, 02:40 PM
Hurdegaryp Netherlands
Joined Feb 2007
378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itplachy View Post
"Gap can be sealed with any kind of polyester tape taping it on the aileron and putting it inside the gap."
Can anybody post a picture?
Thanks,
Here you go
Old Oct 25, 2010, 03:27 PM
Walter Roos
Canton, Ga.
Joined Aug 2004
3,161 Posts
Looks like there's a reason they call it Invisible Tape
Old Oct 25, 2010, 05:02 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,520 Posts
Well be putting RS rudder on my Twister 2 and give results.
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Oct 25, 2010, 05:52 PM
Děda
United States, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Aug 2006
47 Posts
Gap seal

Thank you Alex. Does it look in cross section like this? From the picture it looks like the seal goes into the gap just part way. (indicated red in my sketch)
Ivo
itplachy is offline Find More Posts by itplachy
Old Oct 26, 2010, 01:55 AM
Hurdegaryp Netherlands
Joined Feb 2007
378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itplachy View Post
Thank you Alex. Does it look in cross section like this? From the picture it looks like the seal goes into the gap just part way. (indicated red in my sketch)
Ivo
Its like this.