SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 08, 2010, 09:20 AM
United Kingdom, England, Surrey
Joined Aug 2002
837 Posts
Discussion
90mm EDF Scout (v.fast turbine model)

Been snowed in so lots of computer time...

I discovered Bert van Didden's fantastic turbine (and pulsejet) Scout model:
Very, very, very fast Turbine powered RC Jet (5 min 59 sec)

This video has to be seen to be believed. So I decided to draw up a version for 90mm EDF, duct is embedded halfway through the wing, what do you guys think (would the wing provide too much obstruction to clean air flow)? Model excluding exhaust is 1000mm span by 1125mm long. Would be constructed with either a foam or built up wing (built like a diamond dust). There should be room for 12s 4000mAh cells and retracts. Nose cone could even be from a rocket to avoid having to build a mold.

Joe
devmonkey is offline Find More Posts by devmonkey
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2010, 09:25 AM
Joined May 2006
8,108 Posts
Pretty crazy. You won't likely get the same speeds as the turbine becuase of the lower eflux of EDF, but I am sure you will go fast enough to smile and scare yourself pretty good.
Socomon is offline Find More Posts by Socomon
Old Jan 08, 2010, 10:19 AM
Joined Aug 2002
837 Posts
Yeh wouldn't expect to get 300mph ;-) but it could be pretty quick. Here is a rendering with 12s 4000mAh Hyperion G3's in it:
Old Feb 07, 2010, 10:23 PM
USA, NC, Knightdale
Joined Feb 2008
16 Posts
Where can one of these scouts be purchased?
elcid is offline Find More Posts by elcid
Old Feb 08, 2010, 06:46 AM
My project: FAIREY DELTA 1
Uden Volkel, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
4,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by devmonkey View Post
So I decided to draw up a version for 90mm EDF, duct is embedded halfway through the wing, what do you guys think (would the wing provide too much obstruction to clean air flow)?
Joe
You sorta answered that question yourself
If you want max performance of the intake you don't want to block 1/3 of FSA by an obstacle in a laminair airflow, You don't want to bend it either.
remove all parts you don't need. Minimize frontal area if possible.

A pic of a prop version I did a while ago. It is a 45cm/400W delta. The rudders are lowered to decrease flutter, large control levers for accuracy ad a front skid is a bunghee hook as well. Like this the rudders never touch the ground so no servo damage.

Good luck!
erik
Erik v. Schaik is offline Find More Posts by Erik v. Schaik
Old Feb 08, 2010, 07:04 AM
My project: FAIREY DELTA 1
Uden Volkel, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
4,976 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=558138
Erik v. Schaik is offline Find More Posts by Erik v. Schaik
Old Feb 09, 2010, 08:03 AM
Joined Aug 2002
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik v. Schaik View Post
You sorta answered that question yourself
If you want max performance of the intake you don't want to block 1/3 of FSA by an obstacle in a laminair airflow, You don't want to bend it either.
remove all parts you don't need. Minimize frontal area if possible.

A pic of a prop version I did a while ago. It is a 45cm/400W delta. The rudders are lowered to decrease flutter, large control levers for accuracy ad a front skid is a bunghee hook as well. Like this the rudders never touch the ground so no servo damage.

Good luck!
erik
Yeh i'm actually not concerned about the intake now, it is not really any different from cheek intakes on a bandit, just rotated 90 degrees, probably straighter if anything.

That little delta is sweet.

I'm still undecided how much molding it is worth doing on this, thinking for the first attempt i'll just cnc blue foam for the nose cone and nacelle then carbon and glass. The main structure can just be ply and balsa.

Don't have enough time for mold making right now ...