SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 07, 2010, 10:04 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Aug 2008
658 Posts
Discussion
Nice Slow Stick Brushless Upgrade

After burning up a couple of brushed motors on my slow stick, I decided to upgrade to a brushless motor. I've had excellent support from Ken at Subsonic Planes in the past, so I got in touch with him asking for a recommendation. He hooked me up with the following motor/esc/prop combination:

• Motrolfly 2205-1350 outrunner motor
• Motrolfly FM-10 ESC (with BEC)
• 8x3.8 SF prop (works with the prop saver included with the motor)

I already had a couple of 1300 mAh Sonic Power 3S Lipos that I planned to use, so I made sure everything would work with those batteries. The motor and esc will work fine with 2S batteries too, but you'll probably want to choose a different prop.

It arrived yesterday (only 3 days shipping time!), which was perfect because I had the day off today and time to play. The motor comes with a mounting bracket with the holes at 30mm spacing, which just happens to attach perfectly to the stock GWS brushed motor mount once you remove the reduction gear and bearings. I hadn't noticed them before, but the stock motor mount has four little screw holes around the outside edge that aren't used with a brushed motor. The Motrolfly motor bolts right up to these holes with some small sheet metal screws (small servo screws work fine too).

This motor is quite a bit lighter than the stock brushed motor, so I had to slide my battery (mounted in front of the wing) a bit farther forward to get the CG right, but that was it.

Flying with this setup, the Slow Stick jumps off the ground with only a roll of a few feet, which is very nice when flying from the rather rough field near my house. At full throttle, it climbs almost vertically, and can maintain altitude with only around 1/3 throttle. Flight times are very reasonable - the 1300 mAh batteries are about just right for this setup.

I've now got more flying time in than on both the brushed motors I fried, and have really been enjoying it. At no time were the motor, ESC or battery ever more than cool to the touch. So I think this is going to be a very reliable combination. The Slow Stick is a fun change from my usual thermal duration and discus launch gliders, and I've already gotten both my daughters on the sticks of my buddy box giving it a try. This is going to be my go-to plane when anyone expresses interest in giving RC flying a try because "3-mistakes-high" is just a few minutes away from my garage now with the Slow Stick's ability to fly out of the relatively small and rough field near my house.

Chuck
cn0rris is offline Find More Posts by cn0rris
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2010, 11:06 PM
Captain "Thumbs"
Carlton, Hood River
Joined Jan 2009
27 Posts
I dont know what it is about the slow stick but it is rediculously fun. Especially when you go from brushed to brushless.

My personal favorite combo is the Scorpion Brushless S2215-18 backed up with a Scorpion Commander V2 25 amp ESC, flipping a 11 4.7 slow flyer prop.

My father in law flew his with a HimaxHC2816-1220, CC Phoenix-35 ESC with a 11 4.7 prop.

Both of these combos are fast enough to flap the wings in level flight, and are capable of verticle flght. My worst problem is if you lawndart the slowstick you put the motor at serious risk of permanent damage. My second biggest problem was when I overpropped my set up and the ESC went off like a solar flare(oops). Get a watt meter and use it so that the flaming electronics demon does not devour your components and dash your dreams of flight to the wind like he did mine...

And if you discover that wing flap occurs and throttle management is not available (thumbs out of calibration) check out the Millenium Slow Stick.
witsh is offline Find More Posts by witsh
Old Jan 09, 2010, 09:08 AM
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Apr 2008
320 Posts
Good

Chuck,

That is great that you are happy with the motor. It is hard to imagine a 28gram motor flying that plane. If you wanted to go vertical you could go with a 43 gram 2210-1400 and the same prop or the 2210-1080 with an 11x4.7, but would be adding weight and cut in to your flight time.

Ken
Subsonic Ken is offline Find More Posts by Subsonic Ken
Old Jan 09, 2010, 09:32 AM
wind sucks
Sarasota, FL
Joined Sep 2009
393 Posts
i like the emax cf2822 brushless motor with a cheap 20amp ESC, and a 10x4.7 prop. Strangely enough with a 2200 25c the thing climbs vertically for about 40'!
chimmike is offline Find More Posts by chimmike
Old Jan 09, 2010, 03:35 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
I put a rimfire 28-30-950 outrunner and phoenix 25 amp with a 1350mah 11.1v lipo on a slo-v and get 300' vertical climbs in seconds! The thing is crazy and it's fast! Super fun to fly and very acrobatic. I don't think it even rolls on takeoff, it just launches itself into the air!
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Jan 17, 2010, 03:35 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Aug 2008
658 Posts
The more I fly with this setup, the more I like it. It's been very reliable, and depending on how hard I push it, I can get 15-20 min flights on my 1300 mAh batteries. Half throttle is plenty for regular flying, but bumping it up to full gives plenty of power for whatever you want to do.

Chuck
Old Jan 20, 2010, 04:00 AM
Middle River, MD
Joined Jun 2008
12 Posts
hi cnorris, how did you mount the motor to the plane ? What motor mount did you use ?

oops, sorry didn't read the post right
tooler is offline Find More Posts by tooler
Last edited by tooler; Jan 20, 2010 at 04:06 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 07:28 PM
Middle River, MD
Joined Jun 2008
12 Posts
cnorris,
i have the stock 400 brushed motor, taking the brushed motor, and gear reduction unit off, i find that the motor mount holes are too wide. Do you have the 350 motor?
Old Jan 20, 2010, 07:36 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Aug 2008
658 Posts
I have (had, before I fried it) what I believe is a Speed 370 motor. Nothing about the Slow Stick box or instructions was clear about the size, but the guy at the hobby shop who sold me a replacement motor said that's what it was. The holes on my motor mount are on a 30 mm diameter spacing, which matches the Motrolfly 2205-1350 perfectly. What's the spacing on your holes?
Old Jan 20, 2010, 07:49 PM
Middle River, MD
Joined Jun 2008
12 Posts
ok, just measured, got 30 on the motor, and 32 on the mount
tower sells the gear boxes for 8.95
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:11 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Aug 2008
658 Posts
With only 1mm per hole difference, I wonder if you couldn't just force it somehow. A better idea might be to use some plywood to be a shim.

If you're thinking about ordering a mount, I found the one from GWS that I bought do not work. They have mounting holes for 15-20mm mounts (they have slots, not holes) so watch out for that.

You might check out your local hobby shop - the replacement Speed370 I bought came with a mount that had the exact same geometry as the original mount, which has 30mm holes.

Chuck