Closed Thread
Old Jan 07, 2010, 10:26 AM
GEE,...it BEE model time
Interlochen, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,713 Posts
Question
Midwest Tri-Squire Gear

I'm plan building a model of the Midwest Tri-Squire (my first R/C plane built and flown in the early '70's ) for old time's sake. Will have a Fox .15 RC and be 3 chan. like my first Tri-Squire.

Does anyone have the original landing gear and nose gear, in nice condition, that they'd like to donate, or sell, to a "good home"? I can make gear for this build but thought placing original gear on the model would be a nice touch. Let me know if you can help. Thanks!

Joe
piperjoe is offline Find More Posts by piperjoe
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2010, 11:31 AM
USA, GA, Carrollton
Joined Jan 2008
443 Posts
I wish you had asked for this 4 years ago. I had the gear and let it go with another plane.
The Tri Squire and Fox 15 was my first RC back in the early 70's
Good luck
TFM70 is offline Find More Posts by TFM70
Old Jan 07, 2010, 02:57 PM
GEE,...it BEE model time
Interlochen, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,713 Posts
Thanks TFM70, I wish I'd built this model back then...man I loved that little plane. Of course back then I was driving a '74 Vega GT and the plane seemed huge! LOL!

Cheers,

Joe
Old Jan 10, 2010, 09:14 PM
Fresno CA, good old USA
Joined Jan 2007
340 Posts
First Time!

I dont have what you are looking for but this was the first RC model that I ever saw close up, about 1969 or 70. It was single channel with an Orbit system and an OS electric servo. The Tri Squire is the reason I am still messing with RC to this day. I wish you good luck and please post some pics of it.
Marion in Fresno CA
sweptside is offline Find More Posts by sweptside
Old Jan 11, 2010, 07:51 AM
GEE,...it BEE model time
Interlochen, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,713 Posts
Thanks, Marion! It is truly interesting how that little RC model brings back fond memories for many of us. As I get older and realize I've bored way too many "holes" in the sky I look forward to flying this "new-old model" on those beautiful clear mornings against a dark blue sky...

Cheers,

Joe
Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:57 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,281 Posts
piperjoe
Years ago I built the Esquire,Lil Esquire,Trisquire and Lil Trisquire. I recall the Esquire had a straight wing but for some reason I believe the Tri Squires wing was tapered.
Am I correct or must I stop drinking?

I want to do at least one of the four again but this time for electric if I can find a plan or better still a kit.

Thanks

BM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Jan 12, 2010, 01:18 AM
Coming home to Canada soon
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jan 2002
568 Posts
Dave Fritzke's page has two little ones! http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/

Mark.
Mark Winstanley is offline Find More Posts by Mark Winstanley
Old Jan 12, 2010, 07:49 AM
GEE,...it BEE model time
Interlochen, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,713 Posts
Bill, the Tri-Squire has straight wings without ailerons and, per the plan, 6 1/2" of dihedral; I changed the dihedral on mine to 5 inches (2 1/2" per panel).

Joe
Last edited by piperjoe; Jan 12, 2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 08:01 AM
GEE,...it BEE model time
Interlochen, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,713 Posts
Thanks for the site info, Mark! That Ace All Star bipe REALLY!! brings back some memories. Think hobby shop owner telling newbie R/Cer (me) that this would be a GREAT 2nd R/C model...just after I'd soloed my Midwest Tri-Squire...

Think gullable me thinking YES!!! Built the plane (remember those foam wings?) and put a Fox 15RC on the nose. The first and only flight lasted longer than I thought it would. About a minute after takeoff, and totally "out-of control" 'cause my knees were shaking so much I couldn't stand up and hang onto the transmitter at the same time, the All Star hit a huge Oak tree square on at full bore. ...about ten feet above a fellow club member that had visited the tree to ah..., well...ah..."make some water" as they say. BOTH of us had to go right home and change our pants!!! LOL Man, that little plane was FAST!

Joe
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:28 PM
Gravity-Compliant User
Nebraska USA
Joined Mar 2008
1,450 Posts
Ditto on the thanks for that link, Mark. Memories, indeed! I built four of the models on that page. My first R/C plane was the Minnie Mambo, and I also built the Lil Esquire, the Jr. Falcon, and Ted Strader's Nomad. All were great RO builds to learn the basics, and all were good flyers! My R/C gear at the time was the red Citizenship single-channel (with the spring-loaded slide switch on the TX) and rubber-powered escapements.

On the last flight of the Nomad, I watched it circle up to altitude with it's Cox .010, but when I gave it's first command of the flight, I realized I had forgotten to switch on the receiver. It flew great as it drifted out of sight downwind...
Zaurak3 is offline Find More Posts by Zaurak3
Old Jan 13, 2010, 01:26 AM
Coming home to Canada soon
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jan 2002
568 Posts
My pleasure but I think our thanks should go to Dave Fritzke for providing the plans.

Mark.
Mark Winstanley is offline Find More Posts by Mark Winstanley
Old Jan 20, 2010, 05:29 PM
GEE,...it BEE model time
Interlochen, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,713 Posts
As an update:

Found what I can use in the way of a main landing gear for the Tri-Squire in the Tower catalog. Great Planes makes a .19 sized Dural aluminum landing gear that is only 1/16" wider (tire to tire) than shown on the Midwest plan, and is about an inch taller in height which is okay for our grass fields. This works out fine for me and I can bend the nose gear myself. We are good to go.

Thanks to all who assisted with thoughts and comments. I believe I'll close the thread now.

Cheers,

Joe
Old Jan 20, 2010, 05:30 PM
GEE,...it BEE model time
Interlochen, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,713 Posts
Thread closed.
Closed Thread